Author Topic: ...you been going up to Wyoming all these years ...  (Read 11731 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: ...you been going up to Wyoming all these years ...
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 04:24:50 pm »
Can't see them doing ballet on the moutain.  ;)

Oh, but sure enough! A talented choreographer could have a field day depicting through dance how Jack slowly gets Ennis to open up, then their growing attraction, culminating in TS1, which would be a pas de deux, of course! Yeehaw!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:17:07 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 05:05:05 pm »
Opera or ballet, I just like the direction yer goin'.  :)

One of the most memorable pas de deux I ever saw was for two men, performed to the slow movement of Mozart's Clarinet Concerto.  In the age of AIDS, it was tremendously moving.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 05:03:49 pm »
I read that about Matthew Bourne doing the gay Romeo and Juliet. There was a very nice profile of him in (where else?  ;D) The New Yorker recently.

I know I used the Grin smiley, but I wasn't really kidding about the ballet. I'm not just thinking a love duet pas de deux for Ennis and Jack, either. I'm thinking that a talented and skillful choreographer could do a lot with the whole story. For example, I'm thinking of the possibility of a very powerful solo portraying Alma's confusion when she sees her husband kissing a man, and another, and potentially very moving solo portraying her sorrow as her marriage deteriorates. Lots of possibilities here!  :)

I will be seeing Matthew Bourne's Edward Scizzorhands on April 22!! Is it coming to your neck of the woods, Jeff??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 06:29:42 pm »
I will be seeing Matthew Bourne's Edward Scizzorhands on April 22!! Is it coming to your neck of the woods, Jeff??

Actually, it's played here (Philadelphia) already and moved on. I didn't see it. Didn't much interest me. (Never saw the movie; that didn't interest me either.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:10 pm »
Opera or ballet, I just like the direction yer goin'.  :)

I think some of the 'parallel' scenes in the film would be really interesting to see on the stage at the same time, like Jack and Lureen dancing at the same time as Alma is trying to convince Ennis to move to town, and Jack and Ennis are both looking toward each other, unseeing and unseen, into the empty darkness in the center of the stage.

on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 12:21:55 am »
I think some of the 'parallel' scenes in the film would be really interesting to see on the stage at the same time, like Jack and Lureen dancing at the same time as Alma is trying to convince Ennis to move to town, and Jack and Ennis are both looking toward each other, unseeing and unseen, into the empty darkness in the center of the stage.

Fern, you don't say much, but I love when you do!  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 12:26:41 am »

Wow!  I'll just echo what Elle said... This really is a stunning image to imagine!
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 12:31:24 am »
I'll third that. This will make me sound incredibly ignorant, but because I'm more of a film buff than a theater one, I tend to think of film as being able to do more to dramatize a story than theater. But this is a wonderful example of how sometimes just the opposite is true.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 12:43:42 am »

I love that!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:17 am »

Great idea! Much more affecting than a "split screen" in a film!