Author Topic: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.  (Read 19637 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Friend's parents (mother) hated movie because there wasn't romance.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 10:56:50 pm »
Biblically speaking, "ahavah," the Hebrew noun for "love," is definitely feminine in gender. Even "rakham," the Hebrew word for "compassion," is feminine. "Rakham" is also the Hebrew word for "womb" or "uterus."

And this has to do with?...
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 11:36:42 pm »
AC (Aussie Chris), aha!  Something about the way you write says "Melbourne", dunno how I missed that  :laugh:.  Despite my alarming proximity to Sydney, I never fail to marvel over the difference betwixt the two cities.  Sydney folk are so ....... gormless.

latjoreme, thanks, will check out the thread you linked.  love a good chat ;).

Joe Allen Doty, thanks for the hebrew lesson.  my uterus has alot to answer for. 

w

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 02:46:32 am »
Joe Allen Doty, thanks for the hebrew lesson.  my uterus has alot to answer for. 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 10:47:22 pm »
JAD (Joe Allen Doty),

agreed.  real life romance isn't owned by one gender (tho my husband would beg to differ), but mainstream cinematic and/or literary romance is almost exclusively uterine.  just adds to my 'work in progress' notion that the contemporary male is in an emasculation crisis. 

for me, that's part of the magic of Brokeback.  Jack and Ennis were 'primary' males when they fell in love.  they could be authentic men because they were far from the stultifying (women), castrating (women), strictures (women) of the modern human world. 

on that note, I'm off to clean the toilet  :)

w

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2006, 12:18:12 am »
agreed.  real life romance isn't owned by one gender (tho my husband would beg to differ), but mainstream cinematic and/or literary romance is almost exclusively uterine.  just adds to my 'work in progress' notion that the contemporary male is in an emasculation crisis. 

Wow wolf, I enjoy listening to you, hitting those nails on the head the way you do.  That's one thing that I'm grateful about being gay: "phew, at least I don't have to pretend to be "masculine" any more, that's really hard".  I've actually got a couple of straight friends that are more advanced in their self-perception so they don't feel they have to act "extra-straight" around me, nevertheless I see them struggle with it from time to time and I pity them.

In the regard of romance being the monopoly of women, well I think we've actually been shifting away from this for some time, and now cracks are forming in this way of thinking - thank God!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:41:55 am by Aussie Chris »

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2006, 09:41:22 pm »
Aussie Chris,

Thanks for yr noice words, mate.  I do so enjoy a bit of monday morning flattery!

Believe me when I tell you for every nail I might or might not hit on the head, my thumb cops double.  All part of the journey.

Gee willikers, fancy feeling the need to uber-straight just because yr in company with a gay man  :o.  that's a good example of the 'crisis' I'm referring to.  All that muddled, jumbled, damned if you do, damned if you don't stuff the average male is plagued with.  And I don't think it's exclusively the preserve of straight men, tho given their heavier reliance on women, it may be 'worse' for them.   

On romance, I think yr right in that the tide may be slowly turning.  Has a LONG way to go, but the rumblings are there.   About time blokes got a look in.

I'm off to reconfigure the living room in readiness for my 70 year old, born-again Christian father's visit and Brokeback viewing.   To move sofa closer to tv, thus enhancing nuance and sensualities, or move it further away, giving him a 'comfort zone' for the awkward moments.  The pressing question du jour!

W

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 07:13:25 am »
I'm off to reconfigure the living room in readiness for my 70 year old, born-again Christian father's visit and Brokeback viewing.   To move sofa closer to tv, thus enhancing nuance and sensualities, or move it further away, giving him a 'comfort zone' for the awkward moments.  The pressing question du jour!

OMG, you having a lend?  Does he at least know what he's in for?  You HAVE to tell us how it goes! ;)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 11:01:56 am »
I definitely vote for
enhancing nuance and sensualities
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 09:45:20 pm »
No lend at all.  He's specifically, and pointedly, requested a viewing  :o.  And he's aware of the glistening manlove factor, which makes me go  :o even harder. 

Seriously, despite dad's ostensibly firm stance on matters gay (as proscribed by his version of christianity), he can't hide his raving lefty, liberal pettycoats.  He spent far more years doing life alternatively than he's done it pentacostally (now there's a BBM coinkidink).  Will indeed, report in full  ;).

silkncense, thanks for yr vote!  will be dragging sofa north for close up enjoyment  :P.

W