Author Topic: Wanna see me on TV?  (Read 9104 times)

mvansand76

Wanna see me on TV?
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:50:59 am »
Hi all, didn't know where to post this! Moderators, please feel free to move it if necessary!

Almost a year ago I hung around with a filming crew for a whole day. They were filming for a program that is about people from 25-35 who have an illness or handicap but have found a good and positive way of dealing with it. I have had RSI (repetitive strain injury, a nerve and muscle condition in the shoulder, arm and hand) for the past 4 years and told them my story. Most of you probably will not understand a thing, but at least you will be able to see me on TV! My story is in the first 10 minutes! The program was aired on national TV in the Netherlands last Friday!

When you click on this link:
http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/aflevering?aflID=4083432&md5=54b86390795663608936aeb672658217

You can press the button "BEKIJK UITZENDING".

:)
Mel
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:13:46 am by Snuitje »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Wanna see me on TV?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 08:53:05 am »
That was really cool, Melissa!  You're right - I didn't understand a thing except the occasional "computer,", but I did get the gist.  It was so neat to see you in your house (very nice, by the way) and going about your daily life.  Wish I could understand your language half as well as you understand ours.

No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 09:33:49 am »
That was really cool, Melissa!  You're right - I didn't understand a thing except the occasional "computer,", but I did get the gist.  It was so neat to see you in your house (very nice, by the way) and going about your daily life.  Wish I could understand your language half as well as you understand ours.

Oh thank you!!!  :)

We talked mostly about how I got RSI, how I deal with the pain and limitations in my daily life and that I am doing much better after two operations (one where they surgically removed my first rib behind the collar bone and a carpal tunnel operation). It's a very light-hearted tv show and the presenter's original job is stand-up comedian so it always involves a lot of humour, which is good.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:41:51 am »
Congratulations, Melissa, you seem to have presented yourself very well.  You looked very confident and comfortable.  Thanks for sharing that.

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:39:04 am »
Congratulations, Melissa, you seem to have presented yourself very well.  You looked very confident and comfortable.  Thanks for sharing that.

Awwww thank you! I was pretty nervous and uncomfortable in the beginning though, with that big camera aimed at me! The scary thing is that this is a very popular program in Holland, so a lot of people watch it!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 11:31:37 am »
That's great that you were featured on TV, Melissa.  Unfortunately, I can't see you because the link says I need a plug-in, but I can't get it to download.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 01:25:41 pm »
Hi all, didn't know where to post this! Moderators, please feel free to move it if necessary!

Almost a year ago I hung around with a filming crew for a whole day. They were filming for a program that is about people from 25-35 who have an illness or handicap but have found a good and positive way of dealing with it. I have had RSI (repetitive strain injury, a nerve and muscle condition in the shoulder, arm and hand) for the past 4 years and told them my story. Most of you probably will not understand a thing, but at least you will be able to see me on TV! My story is in the first 10 minutes! The program was aired on national TV in the Netherlands last Friday!

When you click on this link:
http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/aflevering?aflID=4083432&md5=54b86390795663608936aeb672658217

You can press the button "BEKIJK UITZENDING".

:)
Mel

okay where is this button???

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »
Kelda -

You should see it at the bottom lefthand side of the screen. That's where it was when we watched it last night.

It looks like this...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

When you click on it, it should take you directly to Melissa's television show.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:00:50 pm »
Try this link Kelda.

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=4083432&md5=a664cd793e1a14485f0b31e84ac55015

I think this will take you directly to the page where Melissa's show is posted.   :D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 03:21:55 pm »
That worked David!!!

Your audio was very clear - and I understood about 0.1% of it!

The film was a bit jumpy on mine but it was nice to see you 'live'....! And your nicely coloured kitchen - and your PC where you type to us - and did I see a little corner of your boyfriends brokeback painting when you came down the stairs?

You little house looks lovely!

And from the looks of things you like Ikea like me!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 04:57:24 pm »
That's great that you were featured on TV, Melissa.  Unfortunately, I can't see you because the link says I need a plug-in, but I can't get it to download.  :(

What kind of plug-in does it say you need?

That worked David!!!

Your audio was very clear - and I understood about 0.1% of it!

The film was a bit jumpy on mine but it was nice to see you 'live'....! And your nicely coloured kitchen - and your PC where you type to us - and did I see a little corner of your boyfriends brokeback painting when you came down the stairs?

You little house looks lovely!

And from the looks of things you like Ikea like me!!

Thank you! The house is even smaller than it looks in the video. The PC you saw is our old one, we have a laptop now!  :D  The painting you saw when we came down the stairs is a different one than the Brokeback painting, the house is full of paintings!

Some parts had awful lighting though...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 01:00:26 am »

This is what I get too.  I'm going to ask the house computerologist, and see if he can get it working.

My question for you, Mel, is did you tell the two Brokeback actors that you were on this very popular TV show?  THEY might have wanted YOUR autograph.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 01:10:52 am »
This is what I get too.  I'm going to ask the house computerologist, and see if he can get it working.

My question for you, Mel, is did you tell the two Brokeback actors that you were on this very popular TV show?  THEY might have wanted YOUR autograph.  :)

Clarissa, click on this link and see if it helps...

This should take you directly to the page where Melissa's show is posted. Hopefully you can bypass all the Flashmedia 9.0 hype.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 01:40:18 am »
Clarissa, click on this link and see if it helps...

This should take you directly to the page where Melissa's show is posted. Hopefully you can bypass all the Flashmedia 9.0 hype.

Thanka David, I shoulda said that I did try Mel's link and yours.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 01:50:24 am »
Well I hope you can watch it soon Clarissa!  :)

Melissa was FABULOUS in it!!!  :D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 11:28:29 am »
Well, that was fun, Melissa! You and your house are both cute. I kept thinking that if I paid really close attention and listened really hard, I'd be able to figure out what you were saying. Unfortunately, that only worked for the occasional "computer." But it was nice seeing you, anyway.

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 11:35:49 am »
Well, that was fun, Melissa! You and your house are both cute. I kept thinking that if I paid really close attention and listened really hard, I'd be able to figure out what you were saying. Unfortunately, that only worked for the occasional "computer." But it was nice seeing you, anyway.

Thank you!!!!  :D

This is what I wrote in an earlier post, in case you haven't read it!  :)

We talked mostly about how I got RSI, how I deal with the pain and limitations in my daily life and that I am doing much better after two operations (one where they surgically removed my first rib behind the collar bone and a carpal tunnel operation). It's a very light-hearted tv show and the presenter's original job is stand-up comedian so it always involves a lot of humour, which is good.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 01:05:24 pm »
I did see that. I tend to be overconfident about my ability to decipher languages I don't actually speak -- particularly western European languages -- by listening or reading really closely. It never works very well. (Even with languages I ostensibly DO speak a little!) But I got the basic idea.

The host looked cute and fun. Did you really shoot him with an arrow?

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 02:12:56 pm »
I did see that. I tend to be overconfident about my ability to decipher languages I don't actually speak -- particularly western European languages -- by listening or reading really closely. It never works very well. (Even with languages I ostensibly DO speak a little!) But I got the basic idea.

The host looked cute and fun. Did you really shoot him with an arrow?

LOL! I did shoot the arrow (I practiced archery before I got RSI), but it was into the tree when Ruben, the host, was not standing there. He didn't trust my coordination that much, with me having RSI and all...  :D

Ruben is very cute, funny and a really nice guy!

Here are some pictures of the shoot:

The archery scene:

Me and Ruben:

The whole filming crew and me:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 02:44:02 pm »

Ruben is very cute, funny and a really nice guy!

I agree Melissa. Ruben is cute. Ruben is VERY cute.

Ruben is very VERY cute! Very, Very VERY cute!

Very Very Very Very VERY.......

Well, you get the idea!  ;)  :D

When did you all do the fiming for this show Melissa? I remember you telling me about it just before it happened, but I can't remember when it was! I know it was quite awhile ago.

You really did an excellent job!  I think you're one of the first Brokies who's appeared on TV!!!

You made us all very proud!  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 02:50:32 pm »
LOL! I did shoot the arrow (I practiced archery before I got RSI), but it was into the tree when Ruben, the host, was not standing there. He didn't trust my coordination that much, with me having RSI and all...  :D

:laugh:  RSI?! I wouldn't trust you if you'd won an Olympics gold medal in archery!  :laugh: Nothing personal, though -- I'd say the same about anyone.

That looks like a fun day.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 02:57:45 pm »
:laugh:  RSI?! I wouldn't trust you if you'd won an Olympics gold medal in archery!  :laugh: Nothing personal, though -- I'd say the same about anyone.

That looks like a fun day.

Katherine, I once read that women are better archers than men. They have a natural ability to accurately shoot an arrow.

Men are better flutists!

I think I read that in the same article.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 04:12:50 pm »
I should probably clarify to anyone who hasn't seen the video that when I said I wouldn't trust Melissa if she'd won a gold medal, I meant I wouldn't trust her -- or ANYONE -- to shoot an apple off my head with an arrow (which is what she appears to be aiming to do in the video).

I would trust her for most other things, though!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 05:21:58 pm »
I should probably clarify to anyone who hasn't seen the video that when I said I wouldn't trust Melissa if she'd won a gold medal, I meant I wouldn't trust her -- or ANYONE -- to shoot an apple off my head with an arrow (which is what she appears to be aiming to do in the video).

I would trust her for most other things, though!  :D

LOL!!! Thank you Katherine!  ;)

Yeah, this scene in the tv program has to do with the fact that I used to practice archery and that I would love to do that again, but that I still don't have my strength back in my arm and shoulder, so that is something for the future. Then we head to the park and I try to shoot an apple from the host's head and I end up shooting his leg....

;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 06:53:36 pm »
What was the other gal's ailment?  I watched the first few minutes with the pedicure (phew - as adorable as Ruben is, he doesn't take very good care of his tootsies, does he?), but I didn't quite pick up on what was going on with her.  She seemed nice, too.

And you're as cute as a button, Melissa!  :)

No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 05:37:10 am »
What was the other gal's ailment?  I watched the first few minutes with the pedicure (phew - as adorable as Ruben is, he doesn't take very good care of his tootsies, does he?), but I didn't quite pick up on what was going on with her.  She seemed nice, too.

And you're as cute as a button, Melissa!  :)

Well, thank you so much!  :D

She had a type of rheumatism combined with psoriasis, I think it was her toes you saw, not Ruben's, at least I think/hope so....

:laugh:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 09:53:55 am »
No, it was his.  Hers were, of course, *really* bad because of the rheumatism and psoriasis, but his were pretty nasty for an otherwise healthy person, too.  Not terrible - just typical guy nasty, ya know?

No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 10:42:59 am »
Yikes, I need to watch it again to see Ruben's horrible toes!  Blurgh.... :P

LOL