Author Topic: NEw movie for Jake. He's playing Billy Batson,  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
NEw movie for Jake. He's playing Billy Batson,
« on: March 18, 2007, 12:30:54 pm »
also known as SHAZAM!  The project is still rumored, per IMDB.com. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448115/

Oh Jake, how could you! :(  I still remember the Shazam in the mid 1970's during the cartoon hour. They had real actors and it wasn't animation. Isis was pretty cool. 

The writer for this new movie, John August has done some good film films.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041864/
Maybe it won't be so bad!  Let's hope.   

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: NEw movie for Jake. He's playing Billy Batson,
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »
Well, I guess it's only a matter of time til every young hunk in Hollywood plays a cartoon/action character!  Heath is already on the bandwagon with the Batman movie.  I hope this turns out to be a good one for Jake.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:50:20 pm »
I remember "Shazam" and "Isis" from those nasty 70s Saturday morning shows:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:13:34 pm »
William Goldman is also credited as a screenwriter.  And since he wrote my second favorite movie, "The Princess Bride," I'm thinkin' this one'll be OK.

:)
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:27:41 pm »
Well his name has been removed from the cast of SHAZAM. Must have taken it down this afternoon. Some of the posters on that msg board were quite unhappy about Jake playing that character. Homophobic drips!   Maybe they need to get an unknown, you know, a former soap opera star whose never done a movie before.  I still think of Gomer Pyle saying "SHAZAM!"   ;D

Like that picture posted by SouthendMD.  Brought back the memories.  ;) THe last I heard, the guy who played BIlly Batson was now a florist in Hollywood. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 10:49:27 pm »
LOL!  I **loved** Isis when I was little.
 ;D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 02:07:22 am »
Sounds like no decision has actually been made.  Here is an update post from World Entertainment News Network on IMDB

Gyllenhaal To Play Captain Marvel?

Executives at Hollywood film studio New Line are desperately trying to sign Brokeback Mountain star Jake Gyllenhaal as Captain Marvel in Shazam! The studio is looking to bid on a big franchise along the lines of Batman and Superman and think the movie, which is based on the DC comic, is the perfect project. A source tells the New York Daily News, "They're ready to spend up to $200 million to get it started." Sources say director Peter Segal and his fellow producers want to sign the star before Spider-Man director Sam Raimi can get to him. Raimi is reportedly on the lookout for a new Spider-Man after current star Tobey Maguire recently said he is ready to move on and let someone else play the role.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 08:37:24 am »
LOL!  I **loved** Isis when I was little.
 ;D

Here you are, Amanda:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 11:00:16 am »
Executives at Hollywood film studio New Line are desperately trying to sign Brokeback Mountain star Jake Gyllenhaal as Captain Marvel in Shazam!

Not lookin' like playing a "gay cowboy" has hurt Jake's career. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:38:28 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:31 am »
Thanks southendmd !!
 :-*

Ah, the memories!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 12:57:18 pm »
OMG.  I would *love* for Jake to play Spidey.  Think about it, y'all - spandex from head to toe, splits, flips... the mind boggles...

Just to give you a bit of an idea...

« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:04:04 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 02:41:45 pm »
OMG.  I would *love* for Jake to play Spidey.  Think about it, y'all - spandex from head to toe, splits, flips... the mind boggles...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 04:18:01 pm »
EGG-zactly.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 07:28:47 pm »
I'd rather see Heath and Jake play Batman & Robin!   

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 10:36:03 pm »
 ;D @ David.

Yeah - it would be fun to hear Jake say something like "Holy sheep shit, Batman!"

But for my money, I'll take the reluctant messiah over the bad-ass and his sidekick any day.  And Jake would so nail that Reluctant Messiah bit.  He already has.  In various and sundry forms.  He would *so* get and convey the irony of it all.  Bring it on, I say.  In spandex.

No more beans!

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 01:16:44 am »
Never posted before, but I saw on a bunch of other sites that this rumor has been shot down by the writer of the Captain Marvel movie.  He says no one has been considered yet.  That Jake G's name would be on any list but that there's no list. 

Also, why would Jake be Robin?  I don't see him as Heath, or anyone's sidekick.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 01:58:47 am »
I'd rather see Heath and Jake play Batman & Robin!  

I wonder if we all would 100% agree that Jake would be Robin and Heath would be Batman?  It seems like the natural fit.  Heath could sort of do his Casanova mocking hauteur ("She's hardly a novice."), and Jake could do a cross between young Jack, Bubble Boy and who? 

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 02:32:48 am »
Cute idea, Heath and Jake as Batman and Robin, but can't you just hear all the BrokeBAT jokes now  :-\
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 09:56:32 am »
I wonder if we all would 100% agree that Jake would be Robin and Heath would be Batman?  It seems like the natural fit.  Heath could sort of do his Casanova mocking hauteur ("She's hardly a novice."), and Jake could do a cross between young Jack, Bubble Boy and who? 

Donnie Darko.

"What the hell kind of name is Donnie Darko?  It sounds like a superhero or something."

"What makes you think I'm not?"

;D
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 11:02:32 am »
Well they are making THOR, scheduled for release in 2009.  I like the sound of that much better then SHAZAM.    No one has been cast to play the Nordic god.  Well Jake's surname is Scandinavian and doesn't THOR have a more revealing "costume." It's been years since I've read that comic book, but he used to dress up like a viking .

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 11:26:44 am »
I wonder if we all would 100% agree that Jake would be Robin and Heath would be Batman?  It seems like the natural fit. 

Doesn't seem so natural to me.  Like I said above, Jake is not just sidekick.  I don't like this way of making Jake less than Heath.  Robin is not so much of a hero.  It just continues the thinking of Jack as less manly than Ennis, or Jake as less masculine as Heath. 

For myself, I wouldn't wish Jake to be a cartoon at all.

Offline David

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 12:30:55 pm »
The reason I suggested Heath as Batman and Jake as Robin was not to put Jake as second banana.  Heath plays the strong silent type well.    And I think we'd all like to see Jake play an adoring Robin who not only fights crime with Batman, but perhaps longs for something more....

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 12:26:16 pm »
Never posted before, but I saw on a bunch of other sites that this rumor has been shot down by the writer of the Captain Marvel movie.  He says no one has been considered yet.  That Jake G's name would be on any list but that there's no list. 

Also, why would Jake be Robin?  I don't see him as Heath, or anyone's sidekick.

Jake's ALWAYS played the sidekick, always. Never the lead. And that's by his own admission.

In Toadiac the lead was Todiac. In BBM the lead was HL , and the mountain. In Donnie Darko the lead was a 6 foot bunny rabbit. In proofs, the lead was Gwyneth Paltrow or whatever her name is.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 03:00:25 pm »
Jarhead. Lead.  October Sky - Lead.  Bubble Boy - Lead.  Moonlight Mile - Lead.

Also, Jack was not Ennis' sidekick.  Heath and Jake were co-leads, split into different ca4egories for awards possibilities.

Also, Jake WAS the lead in Donnie Darko, not the rabbit.  Not sure if you're just using sarcasm here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:55:43 pm by sparklemotion »

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 05:43:27 pm »
Bubble Boy , well, OK,but who cares, he was a kid...and Oct Sky was perhaps practice,there too  he was a kid. Jarhead, no, that was an ensemble. And in  BBM while his character was as important as HL's  it was not Jack's story, it was Ennis' story.

Jake himself has said he has never been lead. And IMO Brokeback is the closest he's ever come; Ennis character was the primary, cast first. Whoever was cast second supported HL.

And if you think I don't like Jake look at my avatar lololool. Better yet come to Estes, I will YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAW for ya !!!

This kid has the best planned career in Hollywood, every role has stretched his abilities, every role is different and with every role he comes closer to being able to carry an entire film.

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 10:19:17 pm »
I don't say you don't like Jake.  But I don't share your opinion.  Jake was the lead in Jarhead - every story/critique talked about him as the lead.  Almost every movie is an ensmble of sorts.  But Jake was the lead in Jarhead.  And in October Sky and Bubble Boy and Moonlight Mile. 

Even if you don't think Jack was co-lead in Brokeback, he was not a sidekick, for certain.  If you're going by whose story a movie is, Jarhead was Jake's; Donnie Darko was Jake's.  Bubble Boy, October Sky and Moonlights Mile are Jake's.

So what I meant was there is no reason to think of Jake as Robin to Heath as Batman.  Jake's not a sidekick; he's a lead actor.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 11:01:03 pm »
Sidekick isn't how I'd describe him, at all. Yet when he himself said he hasn't played a 'real' lead you have to listen. Right now he can't 'carry' traditional heavy leads--the Sean Connery-George Clooney sort of thing. Look at all his roles except for the bubble thing [lol]--he's not in the center, he's off ever so slightly to the side of that center. Even in Jarhead... He's a fine actor who grows with every role and is in line for a remarkable career, just like HL--who may well turn out as the finest actor of his generation. Even his father said as much.

Jake's just 26. For a 26 year old actor to have done so well, so beautifully and yes so BRILLIANTLY in some of those roles is amazing. He has chosen wisely and well...when he can handle those traditional 'leads' he will and I damned well hope he gets the Oscar they robbed from him in BBM. I hope I get to see him on stage sometime soon, rather then a film, I'd fly to NY to see it. He's better on stage then on film and THAT says an enormous amount about his potential.

Offline sparklemotion

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:34 pm »
What is this quote you keep saying, about not being a real lead?  I've never seen it.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 11:24:15 pm »
Gag.  I hope the role doesn't pan out.  If he has to play a superhero I suggest something out of the X-Men.  Wolverine is going to have his own spin-off movie series, I hear.

What about Heath and Jake in a new Robin Hood?  Jake can play Robin and Heath Will Scarlett.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 11:27:03 pm »
The exact words weren't 'real lead' it was more along the lines of carrying an entire film. I'll go through what I have and see if I saved it.

Don't for a minute think I'm remotely dumping on Jakey, as in even remotely. I agreed with what his father said last month  about abilities, and 'training himself'. That kid is training himself to be able to use what's inside him, and I think we just got a GLIMPSE of what he's capable of in Brokeback..

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 11:28:53 pm »
Gag.  I hope the role doesn't pan out.  If he has to play a superhero I suggest something out of the X-Men.  Wolverine is going to have his own spin-off movie series, I hear.

What about Heath and Jake in a new Robin Hood?  Jake can play Robin and Heath Will Scarlett.

I never liked that particular super hero. Dunno about Robin Hood...but they'd sure have fun making it!

But Jake as Spidey?? Oh yeah.