Author Topic: If You Won The Lottery, How Would You Spend It?  (Read 10370 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
If You Won The Lottery, How Would You Spend It?
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:29:18 am »
New Jersey Couple Claims Half of Lottery Prize

By WAYNE PARRY (AP)

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (March 20) - A New Jersey couple claimed half of the record $390 million Mega Millions jackpot on Monday and said they are retired - effective immediately.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A New Jersey couple claimed the other half of the prize on Monday.
They issued a statement through the lottery board.

Elaine and Harold Messner chose the cash option for the prize from the March 6 drawing in the multistate game. They will receive $116,557,083 before the 25 percent federal withholding tax.

The New Jersey Lottery identified them only as being from Cape May County, at the state's southern tip.

"We feel very fortunate and blessed," Harold Messner said in a statement issued by the Lottery. "This is that early retirement we've always dreamed of. Now we can do all those things we said we would do once we retired."

A truck driver in Georgia had the other winning ticket and claimed it within hours of the drawing.

Ed Nabors was the first person to step forward and claim
 part of the jackpot from the drawing earlier this month.

Messner said he and his wife didn't sleep for the rest of the night after they realized the ticket he had purchased at a liquor store in Woodbine had all the winning numbers.

The couple said they wanted to talk to a financial adviser before coming forward.

The winning numbers were 16-22-29-39-42, with the Mega Ball 20.

The previous largest U.S. lottery jackpot was $365 million in 2006, when eight workers at a Nebraska meatpacking plant won the Powerball drawing. The Big Game, the forerunner of Mega Millions, paid out a $363 million jackpot in 2000.

Mega Millions tickets are sold in California, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Virginia and Washington state.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
Re: If You Won The Lottery, How Would You Spend It?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:40:20 am »
I guess a better question would be "Do you even play the lottery?", because I don't. I haven't bought a lottery ticket in more than 5 years. And they always say "You can't win if you don't play", so this REALLY IS a pipe dream for me.

But if I did win, I would definately give some of it to friends and family (20%).

I would probably give 10% of it to a charity. Maybe to AIDS research, or some kind of safe haven or recreation center for young gay youth.

I would save half of whatever I had left and spend the other half.

I would love to buy a home somewhere in the English countryside and a vacation home in Hawaii or the Carribean the two of us. Then I would buy a Lear jet to shuttle us back and forth between our homes. Also, a personal pilot to fly the plane.

It would be really cool to own my own business too. Maybe a small camera shop, or a music store specializing in stringed instruments (violins, cellos, guitars, etc).

Then, I would live off the interest earned from the 50% I saved. I doubt I would quit my job though, or if I did I would probably continue to work. I think it would be really cool to work a normal job, but not have to. Then, if the boss started yelling at me, I could tell him to "TAKE THIS JOB AND SHOVE IT"!! lol

What would you do if you won the lottery?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:04:16 am »
I've never won, but then I never play...  :laugh:

I would invest it though and give to charity.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:49:11 am »
I play on occasion & mostly think it is obscene that there are few prizes of stupid amounts when there should be more prizes of lower amounts. 

But if I won, as well as donating to charity & seeing friends & family alright, I'd start travelling - beginning with the most ancient site in the world & working my way chronologically all around the globe. All Brokies would be welcome to join me!  :)
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:18:18 am »
I play ocassionally. I didn't used to, now I buy a ticket from time to time. I've never won a big prize but I have won small ones, which isn't bad. But if I ever win a jackpot I'd pay off my bills, give about 20% to my family and friends, and would donate some for stem cells research, and to a shelter for abused women located near my place. There's something I always wanted to do, but I am not sure how I am going to do it, but I would like to pay for somebody's college education. Not just someone from my family, but someone I don't necessarily know that might be in need. It's so expensive to go to school, it's ridiculous. Sure there are Financial Aid but it doesn't pay for the the entire education and you always end up taking student loans. Education should be free, IMO or very cheap. That's what I like about Spain. College is cheap and it is good. People here get out from college with an education and ready to work, without the need to worry about having to pay off student loans.  If I had the money, I'd like to help somebody out, someone in America or in countries where college education costs more than your life.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:33:19 pm »
I'd pay off my mortgage and then give my house away.   I have a cousin who needs it more than I do.

Then I'd put all my stuff into storage until I decided where I want to live.   Until then, I'd travel and stay at Top Hotels.       I'd buy my Mom a home or condo anywhere she'd want.    Plus put money in an account for her so she'd never worry about bills again.

I wouldn't work.   As much as people say they'd still work, who'd have the time to?    I might for a week or two.    Drive up to work in a new Bentley.   Tell the Bosses what I really think.   LOL.

I hear good things about Palm Springs California.   No snow!   No earthquakes.  No mudslides.    No Hurricanes.   No forest fires.    And you are half way between Las Vegas and the Pacific coast.     I could move there and have a nice house with a BIG garage!   

Of course,  I'd hire a hypnotist to put Jake Gyllenhaal under and tell him to fall in love with me.   LOL.   How much would that  cost?

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 03:09:22 am »
Retire, travel to all the places I've only dreamed of, raise and resuce Golden Retrievers to my hearts content make sure all my family was provided for and the children able to attend college, give money to feed, house and clothe those less fortunate than myself, buy 40 acre's in the mountains somewhere and build Bob's and my dream log home

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:13:10 pm »
I'd pay off the mortgages on both our houses (we own a second one as a rental unit) and then give one of them to each of my brothers.  If they didn't want to live mortgage-free in Boca Raton, FL for some reason, I'd give them to the first friends who wanted them - one very good friend who commutes an hour and a half to work each way and lives near one of them but can't afford to move unless she sells her house first would be a top candidate.

I'd give all our cars away, too - the two oldest to charity for the parts and the two newest to each of my brothers again (what the heck - they'd be down here anyway).

Then we'd travel all over the world.  What better education for Will would there be than that?  We'd have enough money to hire tutors for him everywhere we go, so he'd be kept up to speed on the three Rs and all that.  In a few years, when we were ready to chill out and settle down again, we'd buy places in Manhattan, London, and San Francisco and make one of them - probably New York - our home base.

I'd love to give a bunch of money to a few organizations that are near and dear to my heart, too, and that could benefit the most from it - like Hospice, some homeless shelters, and the local animal shelters.  It'd be lovely to give enough money to a large "kill" animal shelter down here so as to make it a non-kill shelter and to give enough money to a homeless shelter so that it could make a real, positive difference in those people's lives.

And I'd invest a good portion of it conservatively but heavily enough so that Will and his children and grandchildren would be set for life.

If I ever worked again, it'd just be something I'd really enjoy and always wanted to do, like starting my own dog-walking/sitting business in Manhattan or building and running a high-end drive-in theater that only shows movies *I* like - hey, I'd be ridiculously rich, so what would it matter if it made a boat load of money or not?
No more beans!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 01:29:06 am »
What's that old saying? "Beware what you wish for, because you might get it!" If that's the case, look out World, 'cause this is what I wish for!  :D

* I would buy a vast rural estate in upstate New South Wales. It would encompass elements of river, shoreline, mountain, rainforest and waterfall. There is such acreage available now. I would name the property "Brokeback Mountain," so named after the mountain on the property, which I would legally rename "Brokeback Mountain." In the most private, secluded part of the estate, I would engage an architect to build a beautiful Frank Lloyd Wright inspired house, organically in tune with the landscape. I would name the house "Cherry Cake Cottage."

* I would but a luxury, two-story, penthouse apartment in a skyscraper in Sydney, with spectacular harbour views.

* I would set-up a trust to award an annual prize to the best gay/lesbian artist in Australia. I would personally manage and administer this trust myself.

* I would open my own art dealership business, with accompanying galleries.

* I would give generous cash gifts to friends.

* I would make generous donations to my favourite charities, specifically AIDS charities.

* I would live happily ever after.

One can but dream!   ;)   :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:33:54 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 05:21:13 am »
I would ensure my family did well out of it, give some to charity, pay off all my bills and then I would travel travel travel - come see all of you guys weherever you live! I would give up my job and once my itchy feet had died down a bit I may well do some volunteering.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/