Author Topic: Jake's father was a gay man?  (Read 12516 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Jake's father was a gay man?
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:33:25 pm »
Looking at Jake's father in the movie, guess we all do not think that Jake's  father was gay, being so stern or sad... in it.

However, one or more things may suggest that Jake's father was a homosexual?

Any proof or ideas about this?

Hugs to all!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Jake's father was a gay man?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 12:51:13 pm »
I didn't see him that way.   If anything, he was a hard ass.  Maybe too hard on Jack.  Perhaps that is why Jack took off at such a young age.   Yet Jack did always come back to help on the farm.   

All we know for sure is that he was never able to please his father.   His father never taught him anything.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:04:18 pm »
I do think that Jake's father was gay, a homosexual in some ways... possibly or likely!!
I accent here the word homosexual, for many reasons, one being that GAY was not used then, to my knowledge and experience.

Jake was right in saying what he  did... about his dad. And also knew his father loved him!! That love is evident in more than one way in the film and likely in the novel (by Annie)!!

Other ideas or proofs??

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:50:50 pm »
I agree...and I disagree.

Yes, I agree that Jack's father may very well have been gay. I think he may have been a deeply closeted and self-hating man who saw that his son took after him in that way and hated him for it.

I am a parent, and I can tell you that when you have a child you have to make sure you don't try to have your child relive your life over for you. And you have to keep from bringing all the baggage of your childhood and dumping it on your child.

There are some other hints. Jack's father said, "I know where Brokeback Mountain is." In fact, that was the first thing that he said to Ennis. Also, Jack said his dad was known as a fine bullrider, but he kept his secrets to himself.

So, where I don't agree with you is in the idea of Jack's father loving his child. No, I didn't see that. His mother did love him a lot though!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:50:25 pm »
Wow! Wow!

Thanks Front-Ranger!

You are enlightening!!

So Jack's father was a gay man, maybe! It seems so.. now!

I am surprised, and not-surprised
... as I felt that!!

Why do you call Jack's father self-hating? Elaborate more please!! You did great... continue if possible.
Why is he self-hating, especially??

How did Jack's father know where Brokeback Mountain is? Jack confided to his father and/or mother??

I will add more later or remind me please. Awaiting your thoughts again,
hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 10:59:40 am »
My feeling is that John C. Twist hated himself, primarily because he was a failure as a ranch owner. This was not really his fault because many family ranches were struggling or failing at that time (and still are). And Wyoming is a harsh place to try to have a homestead. Who knows what happened during his earlier rodeo career? All we know is that Mr. Twist left that career. Obviously the elder Twists did not have a happy marriage. And for whatever reason, he was disappointed in his son. He was a man filled with bitterness and hate. There were more men around like that than the other kind, in my experience growing up in a rural area of the Midwest. For many men like that, the American Dream never happened.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 07:05:12 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Your comment is wonderfully revealing!! In many ways!!

Yes, yesterday was hard for Mr. Twist!! And if his son to-day would be alive,
he would be likely worst off!! I say... as more and more persons, it seems to-day, do
NOT care about ranchers, as they think food comes like magic!! Most people do not care less...??

Multi-national cos are now killing more and more our farmers...ranchers, as these cos are being run by criminals
who do not care about life nor about cows, chickens, fish, bulls, etc., nor a tomatoe !!

For example, these multi-nationals have killed both my grand-fathers jobs; grand-father had a potatoe farm winning world prizes for great pure food, but the big co. came in and killed all the potatoes and did not pay grand-dad apenny! My other grand-papa was a bucheron, yes I am not ashame to say that as he was too a proud man for nature, being an lumberjack, woodcutter.... but that same multi-national killed all the trees!! The first USA spacemen (to prepare themselves for their moon trip) came here as both my grand-fathers areas were now like on the moon!!

As I am still upset because of this, I will end this now and come back later. (This is NOT your fault Front-Ranger!)

Now the Earth is being killed!!

Was not Jack's father's farm somewhat like the moon?? And Jack sought help to help his parents and himself with partner-to-be?? Jack would be hurting more than his dad, even if he had a partner, likely so I say because criminals continue more to run off ranchers... farmers?? What do you think?

Am happy with your comments in many ways Front-Ranger, and await more from you please,

hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 11:44:16 pm »
It is interesting that you say that the farm was like the moon, Artiste. Because that is sort of how I've seen it...I haven't seen it in the summertime with the grass growing high...but it is a forbidding and austere place. A high plain, with a lot of volcanic rocks all around. When you're there, you feel uncomfortably close to the sky, almost pressed between the earth and the sky.

One thing that struck me tonite...Jack was playing his harmonica, even though it was flattened. And he came from Lightning Flat. But the flattening things that had happened in his life did not deter him from following his dream and going to Brokeback Mountain.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 01:00:28 am »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Your two paragraphs are wonderfully great!!

The Earth is indeed becoming like a moon... dying; Jack's death is forbidding in a way, because he could not live his gay life (not happily, except those rare occassions) nor continue it! Maybe he can be considered like a moon around Ennis?? There is some poetry created here by Annie!! She does says that she thinks daily about Ennis and Jack!!

As you know: Ennis is indeed liike a moon, being so austere and standing that is his life, weather he likes it or not, too!!

Both Ennis and Jack's lives are too uncomfortable for themselves mainly in their situations as the human condition;
luckily some confort as they found each other and love they cherish as best they can!!

Forbidden love... between two men!! That is most of the world then and is now too!!

I know about volcanic rock, like you say you saw there in Wyoming, as I live on a volcano edge, top mountain... and austere is was made and humans are making it again a heaven now with trees and lakes; criminals who burned the then rich farms here in the valley inside the crator, and burned all the trees, do NOT help Nature nor other humans!!
You do feel like you are between earth and sky, like you say!! The pressures of both Ennis and Jack is pressing them too!! Pray this is not too poetic!! I love your description!!

Yes, you are right about the harmonica; Jack could play it better when he was younger, when he fell in love with Ennis; but that flat harmonica... tells his sad future, the sad notes of his coming life!! ?? Jack continued, as you say, luckily to to try to reach his dream and Borkeback Mountain helped him and Ennis!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 05:40:08 am »
It is complete speculation, leading nowhere, if we wonder whether or not John Twist Seniour was a homo.

Just think of him as The Dick.

It works.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"