Author Topic: You teenager in the sixties, had brother(s) and/or sister(s), many or none??  (Read 12075 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Mentionning before, during, after or now (present day), YOU teenager in the sixties (or other time to be stated please), had brother(s) and/or sister(s), many or none??

Please also included in which country, part of it, etc., you lived in, and are now in, etc.; as details are requested.
How did that brothers and or sisters or none, made you what you are now??

Puzzled by the film Brokeback Mountain as well as to-day's life, wondering how having brother(s)' and/or sister(s)', affected you in the sisties and/or now.

Be wonderful to know... that.

Hugs to all.

Offline Artiste

Am puzzled as to why no one answered this so far.

Would like to relate this to my life.

And to the Brokeback Mountain film too, afterwards!!

Awaiting your answers,

Hugs!!

injest

Artiste....you would get more responses if you would tell us about yourself...how old are you? You live in Canada?

I live in Texas myself and I am a woman, 41 years old

karen1129

I was a teenager in the 60's.  Grew up in Houston, Texas.  Have a brother that is 20 monhts older, and a sister that is 9 years younger.

How did they affect my life...... my brother taught me how to fight ! ;D  For some reason, we really weren't close growing up.  Still aren't that close now... but we do stay in touch and see each other several times a
year.   My sister... being so much younger... I was always the protector.  The care giver  and nuturer.  I didn't then, and don't now, let anyone mess with her.  Unfortunately, I think it made her too dependent.
I have no children, but spoil the hell out of my nieces and nephews.  I am an easy makr for them !!
I learned compassion from an Aunt . 

Being a nurturer.... BBM broke my heart.  I wanted Jack and Ennis to be happy.  I lived through the 60's, and understood their fears.  I have an Uncle who is gay... and to this day has never "come out" to anyone but me.  BBM made me so sad for his lonely life. 

Karen

Offline Artiste

Wow! Wow!
Thanks injest!
Thanks keren!

Wow, wow, two ladies!!

Where are the men??

1. Am happy with your answers ladies!!

2. Injest, since you are a younger lady, wonder if you will understand that I was a teenager in the sixties? Would you have trouble with that? Did you have trouble with the sixties of Brokeback Mountain, may I ask?

3. Keren1129, you are a young lady too!! Guess that you have less trouble re-seing the sixties? In yourself? In Brokeback Mountain? What is it that your uncle never came out, yet? He did to you, why or how??

Neither one of you have to answer me. I would be grateful, if you will... somehow.

Since I was asked to talk about moi, I will briefly for now. I am in the sixties years of age, lived in the USA (many places) and in Canada (different places there too). I consider myself a gay man, but am sad more and more,
and want to be much more happy again as I was a bit or used to smile often in the sixties. I did have a girlfriend and had sex with her at times, mutually... (I guess like Ennis and/or Jack did); we are still great friends and no sex now!! Maybe I am bi-sexual, think not... nowadays!! I have lost my job (teaching since criminals took over in the schools); lost my house as had to give it to foreign criminal (which I fought for over 20 years against them) (even my uncle lost his 2 bussinesses to 'mafia' in California, otherwise these criminals take it: you like it or not); and had to fight four criminals sent against me all at once, because I refused to let my house go for that criminal so that he was to open up a crack-house in my house in a good neighbourhood, (God protected me as the killers taught I was dead since I went unconscious). If this is too much top hear all at once, I am sorry. You now understand how broken is my back as in the Brokeback Mountain film??

Hugs to you and all.

Be very happy to get your news and that of others too!!

Guess that no men answered my question so far, as it is easier for ladies to be emotional and talk, than it is for men??

karen1129

I am 59.  My uncle is only 65.  Not a big age difference !!  16 years between him and my father.
My uncle had a good life, worked for an airline and lived in San Franciso.  He had a couple of relationships.
He became ill (not with aides) and had to move to back to Texas because he needed help from the
family.  He now lives alone, is blind and  unfortunately , most of my family is homophobic.
I don't know how I became so liberal ! :)
Sad thing is.. the family knows it anyway.... he just hasn't confirmed it.  It is a Ennis like situation.
I ain't queer......  this can't be..... it is wrong.  his older brothers have not treated him very well.
I am alone.. but  I have known love........  I don't believe he ever let himself have that.
Ennis in a trailer.....  with regrets !  That is the tragedy.

Karen

Offline Artiste

Wow!
Thanks very much karen1129!!

Your uncle is nearly my age! Since I did live in the 3 main gay areas in San Francisco, I wonder if I ever did see him.
I do not remember one working for an airline there...oh yes, some for airlines, but was one living in San Francisco? Trouble is with us gays is that not many asks questions as to what king of work you do! And when I ask, many refuse to tell me! And sometimes I refuse also to say... as I know that criminals pretend to like gays or be gays!!

Pray that your uncle will be better and better, and happy too!!  Great that he had a couple of relationships!!
Maybe he will again? !!

As in the Brokeback Mountain film, one does NOT declare that you are homosexual or gay, then nor now even if you were teenagers in the sixties!! These are unspoken words or worlds! There are exceptions as more do open up and feel safer.

But the world is still not safe for gays, not in USA nor Canada yet, not that much. I lost my partner/lover two years ago because the muslim doctor in the hospital refused to help my friend because my friend was christian or jewsih and/or GAY!! I feel he was killed on purpose!

Many, too many, gays are killed on purpose because they are gay!! Murderers, most, get away with it!! Unfortunate!! If there is gaydar, there is also the opposite for killers, because murderers figure easily if you are gay, and know gays are easy targets!! Sad, sad!!

Even to-day, most straights are homophobic to different degrees, sad thing!! Quebec is most and was the first open to gays in Canada, even are for gay mariages, but recent survey show it is NOT yet acceptable for men to kiss. But for two ladies to kiss is OK! Why?

Since you are a lady, may I ask why is it so easy and so acceptable for two ladies to kiss in public, but NOT for two men (homosexual or heterosexual)??

Hugs!

karen1129

I don't know the answer to that.  I really don't see women kiss in public.... maybe a peck.. but rarely.  I'm not much for public displays of affection from Het's or gays. A think a peck is nice, holding hands, arms around each other.  I have seen gay men walking down the street holding hands here.  I think it is sweet to see anyone holding hands.  I know the world is still homophobic. ... not like it was in the 60's though.  Still have a long way to go. 

I remember in high school, these two girls that were in a relationship.  I remember thinking it was no big deal to me.  You can't tell someone who to love.  I am straight, and was raised in a religious home, and have debated this many times.  I just don't understand why it bothers people.  Just seems like a waste of their time !!
People just need to get over it and move on.  Sadly, some don't.

Karen 

Offline Artiste

Thanks karen1129!!

Wow, wow, your answers are like you asking me.... and yet great!!

Wonder how you found out about the two girls in your school?? Since I never heard of that in my high schools... in the sixties!! Neither the word homosexual nor lesbian, and these were public schools! And I became very popular and would have known, likely!! But my last year, I went to a dance at another high school and one tried to sell me drugs... as I saw that he broke in the school too easily duping janitor(s) he said for he made duplicate keys!!
There were no drugs nor violence in my high schools, nor any anti-homosexual actions nor pro-ones!! People (students and teachers) tried to be happy and helpful then and not to kill others!! So, you understand why am asking how you found out, especially you being a straight girl: you found out about the lesbians??

If you see now men holding hands at times, then you are in Toronto, in the gay village??

Yes, you are right that we then and to-day were not much for public display of affection!! Is that changing and getting worst?? Or will get worst?? Public affection is still too rare? Will there be less and less, to a dangerous point??

You must be a relative of the actor Jake G. since you care like him: You can't tell someone who to love! Congratulations!!

You are amiable and loveable!!

Somehow, you solved something for me too, and you have my thanks!!

Wonder why you debated that (2 girls in a relationship) as you say?? May iI ask?

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Yes, I was a teenager in the 1960s and grew up in the backwards Midwestern part of the U.S. I am bisexual, the oldest child in my family, and there was an older child, a male, who was a miscarriage. So, if you believe that nurture is important, I am proof of that. I tried to become the eldest son that my parents mourned and missed.

"chewing gum and duct tape"