Author Topic: You teenager in the sixties, had brother(s) and/or sister(s), many or none??  (Read 11986 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Am exhausted and will reply tomorrow.

Please remind me then,

hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Sweet dreams, Artiste!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

Thanks Front-Ranger!!

I slept reasonably well!  Hope you did too!!

Am wondering why you use the word: mourned? Pray describe that, OK?

I am also the oldest of 7 children!! So would be very happy to get to know your sixties era, your life then and now.

You considered yourself bi-sexual then and now?? Because I do NOT consider myself bi-sexual, never did!! I guess so about that:  even if I had sex with one woman many times whom I still befriend (no sex now with her),
I know that I am ONLY a gay man!! So, your answers are touching!

You think many men are bi-sexuals?? All men?? Maybe??

You say nurture is important. How was your life then? You think that nurturing you had helped you then and now??

So you would have liked too to have an eldest brother??

Your parents (both??) mourned and missed the elder brother?? Still do?? That really affected you?? Wow!!

Why do you say backwards for Midwest US?? Are you there in the Midwest now?

You do not have to answer any of these questions I am posing, you know. Be pleased if you do one or some, or all, when you want and can.

Hugs!!

May I note that it could be that Jack in the film had an eldest brother lost too that way, as in your life. I do not know if I will ever find that or could ask Annie... or another person. However, remaking or doing another as sequel to Brokeback Mountain, do you think that would be great in it? An oldest brother to Jack??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Thank you for your interest! Well, here goes...

I slept reasonably well!  Hope you did too!! I stayed up listening to BBM Radio last nite too late! That music is addictive!

Am wondering why you use the word: mourned? Pray describe that, OK? My parents often mentioned the oldest son that they didn't have. My mother regretted having a miscarriage. She perhaps felt that she had done something wrong. Later on I found out that miscarriages are very common. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage too. It's nothing to be ashamed about, but my parents were.

I am also the oldest of 7 children!! I have written more about this in the topic "What was life like in 1963?" I am seven years younger than Ennis and Jack. Other parallels--I am about the same age as Ang Lee, and I attended a Midwestern university majoring in film similar to him. But I did not get to have a career in it! I went into journalism instead.

You considered yourself bi-sexual then and now?? When I was young I was bisexual but now I am married to a man and am a mother.

You think many men are bi-sexuals?? All men?? Maybe??  No, not all men. Many men, and women, have the potential to be bisexual, but their early experiences have a big influence on whether they are attracted to the opposite gender, their own gender, or both. Just my opinion.

You say nurture is important. How was your life then? You think that nurturing you had helped you then and now?? I am really not sure about the nature vs. nurture debate. For instance, look at Jack. You would think he would grow up to be a mean sob with that father and that austere home life. But he wasn't, it was not in his nature.

So you would have liked too to have an eldest brother?? No, I just would have liked to be appreciated and encouraged to just be myself. Your parents (both??) mourned and missed the elder brother?? Still do?? That really affected you?? Wow!! Yes, and yes.

Why do you say backwards for Midwest US?? Are you there in the Midwest now? I'm at the edge of the Midwest, and sometimes it seems like things haven't changed since the 1960s!!
May I note that it could be that Jack in the film had an eldest brother lost too that way, as in your life. I do not know if I will ever find that or could ask Annie... or another person. However, remaking or doing another as sequel to Brokeback Mountain, do you think that would be great in it? An oldest brother to Jack?? That's very interesting! Sometimes people have speculated that Jack was adopted because "Ennis did not see much of Jack in either one [of his parents]." People have also speculated that maybe Uncle Harold was his father or brother.

Thanks again for asking these questions!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Why do you say backwards for Midwest US?? Are you there in the Midwest now?  I'm at the edge of the Midwest, and sometimes it seems like things haven't changed since the 1960s!!

Sorry, but I just have to throw in a quick defense of the Midwest. Many parts of the Midwest are not particularly backward, and many parts of coastal states are.

It's hard to get much more specific because you didn't say exactly what you meant. But I can say that all of the places I have lived in the Midwest -- especially Minneapolis, but also Chicago and New Orleans (which isn't technically Midwest but is in the middle of the country) are extremely liberal. Admittedly not as hip as New York or California, in the sense of fashion and art and trends and cultural sophistication. But socially and politically, often very progressive. Sometimes even leading the rest of the country in those areas.

:)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Sorry, but I just have to throw in a quick defense of the Midwest. Many parts of the Midwest are not particularly backward, and many parts of coastal states are.

It's hard to get much more specific because you didn't say exactly what you meant. But I can say that all of the places I have lived in the Midwest -- especially Minneapolis, but also Chicago and New Orleans (which isn't technically Midwest but is in the middle of the country) are extremely liberal. Admittedly not as hip as New York or California, in the sense of fashion and art and trends and cultural sophistication. But socially and politically, often very progressive. Sometimes even leading the rest of the country in those areas.

:)

Yes, I agree. I loved living in Kansas City! While I was writing that about the Midwest being backwards my fingers became rather ploddish and I wondered if I should change it to rural areas instead. Yup, I should have! Now, where's the champion of the rural areas??  ::)

Offline Artiste

Thanks latjoreme!

It is indeed wonderful to know your reflexions!! They are great!!

May I say:
Of the pantings I create, I have done my exhibitions  in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco, many times!!

There is less art galleries, exhibitions in California, maybe? Possibly more, I found in Los Angeles, in those days I did, than New York City, in some ways, if you percentage the population!! However, maybe same ratio, in those cities, as elsewhere in the USA and the world!! Unfortunatley, persons throughout the wolrd, do NOT have art on there walls in their homes: not an original painting!! Unfortunately!

I never did have my paintings shown in Chicago and would love to do so... maybe Oprah would help me there? Ha! Ha! She seems to accept gays?

Nouvelle Orleans would be great too, for my paintings!!

Would enjoy sending by mail to art galleries, culturel centres, museums, etc. (even in a house show?), in the Midwest, too!! Possible? Or elsewhere?

I think that that is nescessary even, so that gays would be safer in the Midwest and elsewhere in the world!
To that, did you read my comment about my exhibition in Quebec City last year which affected surprisingly viewers (2 persons as lovers)??

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Well, I'm 31, so I wasn't around in the 1960s.  ;D 

But, for what it's worth, I am an only child like the Twists/ Newsomes.  I think it's made me very independent and very introspective. 

I was very lucky because I have a very good relationship with both of my parents.  In a situation like Jack's (where one parent was especially hard on him/ abusive) I can't imagine how difficult that would be.  Obviously, without a sibling there's no buffer between the parents and the child.  As I get older and my parents get older I am growing increasingly worried about how difficult it will be to take care of them on my own when they become elderly.  I think at that point I might wish for a sibling to help out.  But, really I never missed having siblings.

For me, growing up an only child also made me very, very used to socializing with adults pretty young.  There were lots of occasions where I was the only kid at a social gathering that my parents would be throwing.  But, I remember liking that... Sort of feeling like I was being *included* with the adults. 

Assuming that Lureen is an only child, I do sort of relate to her in being extremely ambitious and close to her father in matters of business, etc.  I know I looked up to my Dad a lot in matters of career decisions as I was growing up (although, my Dad and I are in different careers and my Dad is nothing like L.D.).  My Mom was a stay-at-home mother, which is a life path that I did not take at all (not even close).

I wonder if Lureen would have been so close to L.D. if she had a brother... and that of course would reflect more on L.D. than Lureen.  I would guess that L.D. would be chauvinistic enough to have favored a hypothetical son in grooming him instead of Lureen to take over the family business.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

Thanks Front-Ranger!

Your answers to my questions are powerful to me, and surely to others!!

You create writings, publish them too??

Who is Uncle Harold? Where is that in the film? Or in the book?

Uncle Harold might have been Jack's or Ennis's father or brother??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

Thanks atz!!

Wow, your comments are very interesting too!!

The aspects of the girls or women are wonderful, really wonderful!!

Concerning this you said: For me, growing up an only child also made me very, very used to socializing with adults pretty young.  There were lots of occasions where I was the only kid at a social gathering that my parents would be throwing.  But, I remember liking that... Sort of feeling like I was being *included* with the adults. 

In this, you spark too something in me. I now wonder since I think that both of the parents of Jack loved
their son and helped him in their own ways, that that made him socialize, because Jack wanted to do so readily like his mom, as well as had to do so like his dad!! In the film  the mother is amiable, and therefore, Jack seeks easily manyways to love! Also, the father is sad, and Jack is sad too... and somehow the father is loveable (I say in his ways) and therefore, Jack seeks a father in a way finding it in Ennis??

Is my question understandable?

Awaiting your news and that of others,
Hugs!