Author Topic: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!  (Read 19940 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:07:07 pm »
Hello Friends,

As some of you know, this writing thing has hit me hard the past few weeks.  I do so love to write about Ennis and Cassie and friends, but I have also started to think about and do a little non-BBM writing too.

I decided I was going to take the Drabble prompts each day, and write a BBM Drabble of course, but I also will try to write a non-BBM Drabble too, just to see if I can do it and to see what comes out. This will be harder, and maybe easier too.  I will post it here.  I hope you don't mind that I am doing this.  Since I am like Ennis and always try to stick to the rules, I will try for the 300 word limit, or around there. 

I do hope that my wonderful Drabble friends will join in, as well as all of you.

All comments are welcome, of course.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 05:36:12 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party, please join in!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 05:13:49 pm »
Marl ~

I'll join you here and maybe contribute from time to time if that's cool with you!  ;)

Great idea!  :)

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:18:41 pm »
M,

Of course you should join in!!!   I want everyone too.  I bet you can and will do absolutely amazing writing here, just like you do with BBM!

Thanks so much,

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:31:32 pm »
My first rather sad attempt.  Today’s prompts: bakery, earnest, speed limit.

A Slow Drive Home

Hannah stopped by the bakery.  She bought two black and white cookies.  They have good ones there.  But she thought how strange they must think it was, for a thirty eight year old woman to be buying them for herself.

Hannah was driving home. She couldn’t wait to get there.  After another terrible day at work.  But she was stuck here on the street with only one lane each way.  Stuck behind an old lady who was going way below the speed limit.  Hannah wanted to blow her horn, but she didn’t.  It wasn’t nice to blow the car horn at the old people.  She didn't want to scare them.

Hannah looked at the stores on the street.  All the same, just like all over.  A Starbucks, a CVS and a Gap.  All the same, all over here now too.

Hannah looked at the sidewalk.  There was a young couple, a tall boy and a smaller girl. They were talking, they looked real earnest.  Then they kissed.  Hannah kept looking.

All of a sudden there was a really loud noise.  Hannah felt her heart jumping out of her body.  Then she realized, it was just the asshole in the car behind her, blowing his horn.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 03:56:40 pm »
Laramie, Wyoming, January 1985.

"These ain't doughboys out a the can, an they ain't Edna's neither,"  Ennis said, looking accusingly at the buttery tops of the biscuits sitting on the plate in front of him.

"I was sort a hopin for a kiss instead a quiz about what bakery I gone to, sweetheart," Ellery frowned, setting down the box.  "Ya want me ta go back out an come back in an we can do this again?"

"What's got inta you, boy?"  Ennis took a step closer, a quick hand snatching at the narrow elbow still buried in the black leather coat, the oiled fabric creaking beneath his insistent fingers.

"I just wanted ta.. .get home early for once, drive the speed limit, be reliable, do somethin nice for ya after all a what we been through, ya know, new year's resolutions n' all."

"Wes give you a talkin to about yer drivin again?"  His other hand was on Ellery's shoulder, prying the leather away from it as if to get underneath to the secret behind the strangely earnest expression.

“Fuck no, do I need Wes ta be my conscience all the damn time?”

“Well don’t ya?  Yer a caution, I already know that, I always thought a man a the law was … well..”

“What?”  a flash of a grin twisted the edge of his mouth up.  “Obedient?”

“Obedient you ain’t, darlin.”

“You like that about me don’t ya?” It was Ellery’s turn to reach out and run his fingers along the thick chamois shirt, a gift from Edna and Wes for Christmas, and Ennis shivered, tugging him closer.

“You bet.”
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:24:26 am »
Ah Louise, an E&E drabble....what a treat. Thank you!

L
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:18:27 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:25:15 am »
My first rather sad attempt.  Today’s prompts: bakery, earnest, speed limit.

Not sad Marl! 
This was a great idea!  :) 

Laramie, Wyoming, January 1985.

Yes..thanks Louise!  ;)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 07:16:45 pm »
So nice to see you all here. :)

Thanks so much, Louise!
When I have time I will catch up to all your stories.

Thanks M! always for your kind words.

I said I'lll do this everyday, but of course I haven't, but I really will try.

So glad to see you all here.

Thanks again,

Marl
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:48:33 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 07:22:34 pm »
So nice to see you all here. :)

Thanks so much, Louise!
When i have time I will catch up to all your stories.

You'll need a good chunk of time on your hands because when you start with Louise's tales, I find it's hard to stop.  ;)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:46:52 pm »
But unfortunately Jack was so right,

"Never enough time, never enough time..."

Oh well..one of these days...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:47:58 am »
well now that I am writing SMALLER (yes SMALLER) tales they might be more um, accessible, as it were.

thank you for letting me post! and to our gracious moderator.esse.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 08:37:38 pm »
(Todays drabble prompts: car accident, olive oil, trauma)

The Accident

Everyone kept saying it will be okay.  They kept saying it over and over and over.  But since the car accident nothing was okay.  It hasn’t been okay a single day since then.  Nancy still dreamed about that day.  She still felt the trauma of what it was like.  She was sitting in history class passing notes with Ellen.  Mrs. Riley was droning on and on.  About the ancient Greeks and Romans.  All of a sudden her brother Jon appeared at the door of the classroom.  His face was all red.  He asked Mrs. Riley if he could speak to her.

Mrs. Riley said  “But this is so important.”  But Nancy saw him and went running over.
“There was an accident” he cried.  Her face went totally white.

“Mom and Dad?”

“No, Josh” and Jon hugged her even though he never did and buried his face on her shoulder.

Josh was their cousin, he was much more than a cousin to them.  He was more than a friend. 

Now two years had gone by.  Jon was doing okay.  He was in college now, and had lots of friends, guys and girls.

But Nancy still thought of Josh every day.   Almost every minute of every day.  She lived her life for him.  She wrote stories for him, she painted pictures for him.  She did everything she could to make him happy up there.

A year before the accident Josh and his family had dinner with them.  They had salad, but Nancy spilled the olive oil all over.  Mom got very mad.  “You mess up everything, always.  It’s always your fault.”

Nancy didn’t say anything.  She was used to it.  But later she cried in her room.  Josh came in.  He took her in his arms and held her.  He whispered “nobody is better than you.”

No, it wasn’t true what they said.  It wasn’t going to be okay.  But Nancy could see Josh when she closed her eyes before she fell asleep.  She could see him in her dreams.  “You have to go on” he would say to her.

“No, I want to be there with you, real soon.”  she would reply.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 08:41:17 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 05:30:33 pm »
Howdy!  :)
Today's prompts: crow, blanket, misunderstanding.

Folded Wings ..

The raucous cry of a nearby crow shatters the solemn peace;
The evening sun releases soft ribbons of its golden yellow rays
As it slowly disappears behind the heavy blanket of grey clouds.

They were all gathered in a circle around the little grave,
Whispered prayers and sobs escaping the trembling lips ..
One handful of dirt after another, falling on the wooden box.

The weeping mother hunkers down, frail from grief
She calls out to God, to her departed child
Pleads for a bit of mercy, a glimmer of light in the bitter darkness.

Little Maria stands in her mother’s shadow, clinging to the black skirt
Her little brown eyes - gentle pools of love and light and compassion
Heaps of dirt fall on her little casket, slowly burying it in dark earth
She watches on, her little angel wings folded …

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 06:36:46 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:31:48 pm »
After the Bad Day

Kelly wrapped the blanket around herself.  She was lying on the couch trying to watch some tv.  She was trying to forget about her horrible day.  She kept flipping around the channels, but all there was to see was junk.  Survivor and other stupid reality shows.  She wondered why they were called reality shows, no one really looked like those silly people that you see on them. 

It was such a bad day.  It didn’t start out that way.  She wore her favorite blue sweater and nice new pants.  She even had time to fix her hair.  She went in feeling good.  She kept flipping.  CSI with all the dead bodies and the decorating shows with all those stupid people screaming with fake joy about their ridiculous couches.

But then when she got to work everything was all crazy.  The boss called her into his office.  Kelly turned to the movie channels.  More of those silly action movies with things exploding all over.  Another dumb chick flick with Julia Roberts.  “Why did everyone always think she was so pretty?”

Kelly walked home from the terrible day.  She walked through the park.  That was the only thing that ever seemed to clear her head.  She kept flipping the channels, some kid’s cartoon, she didn’t know which one, but they all looked the same.

She thought she saw a crow in the park,  or at least she swore that she heard one.  It startled her for a moment.  Crows weren’t supposed to be in the big city.  But she wasn’t really sure if she saw it at all.  Kelly kept flipping the channels.  She came to one where a movie just started.  It was quiet, not loud and harsh like all the others.  The walk in the park didn’t help at all today.  There was a cute young guy in a tan jacket.  He was standing in front of a trailer.  A train was passing by.  An old truck appeared.  Another cute young guy got out of it. 

Kelly buried herself deeper in the blanket.  It all had to be a misunderstanding.  “I wonder what movie this is?”  The button on the remote that should have given the title wasn’t working today.

It all had to be a misunderstanding.  “These guys are awfully cute” she said and she put another pillow under her head.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 12:17:25 am »
Howdy!  :)
Folded Wings ..

Little Maria stands in her mother’s shadow, clinging to the black skirt
Her little brown eyes - gentle pools of love and light and compassion
Heaps of dirt fall on her little casket, slowly burying it in dark earth
She watches on, her little angel wings folded …

Aww,  Thank You M, Sad day all over, wasn't it? :(
Beautiful poem, and picture too.
 :)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 12:33:10 am »

Aww,  Thank You M, Sad day all over, wasn't it? :(

I know Marl .. today was one of those days.  :)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:45:05 am »
Oh well, maybe we can make everyone happier tomorrow.
But, in a way, I've always liked the sad things the most, stories, books and movies, I mean. ;)
Music too. :)

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 07:03:53 pm »
(Today's prompts: incense, M & M's, overdue.  Just trying to use all of them.)

The Party

Kelly went to the party.  It was a weird party, with incense on all the tables around the room and people smoking all kinds of cigarettes.  She went to the party all alone.  Marion was supposed to go but at the last minute she called and said she wasn’t going to be able to make it.

Kelly wasn’t going to go.  She was going to stay home and watch some tv again and pay some bills.   But after watching that movie that other night, she figured it wasn’t good to stay home alone all the time.

It was already crowded when she got there.  There was no one she knew, besides Dave whose party it was.  There were all sorts of people there.  Men and woman, young and old.  It was summer, hot and moist, with lots of skin showing.

Kelly sat down on an overstuffed purple chair in the corner.  She began watching people.  There were two young men, not too far away from her.  Both were wearing black sleeveless shirts with the muscles on their arms showing.  They were standing very close and talking to each other quietly.   They both had brown hair, one darker than the other’s.  They both had drinks and cigarettes in their hands.

Dave came over to her, “I’m so glad that you came.”

“Yeah, I am real glad too.”  Kelly replied.

But she stayed in that chair most of the night.  She didn’t talk to anyone else.  She stayed there even when they served dessert, cake and cookies baked with M & M’s.  Not too many people ate dessert, most were too busy drinking and smoking.

The music became louder and wilder, people’s voices become louder too.  She got up to begin to leave.  One of the men that she had been watching approached her.  “You’re leaving now? he asked.  Kelly stared at the muscles.

“Yeah” she said.

“You should stay a while longer” he replied and then went back to his friend.

Kelly stood there watching them, they now had their arms around each other.  She looked around.  There were couples all over the room, some were now making out.  She headed to the door.

“Why did I even come?”

As she walked home alone, in the stillness of the warm quiet streets, she wondered why she came.  “I just should have stayed home and paid the bills.”  Some were overdue.  But Kelly kept seeing the muscles on those guy’s arms.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 07:06:46 pm by Cameron »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 08:56:53 pm »

Oh dear!!!!!!!!!!    what a sad and blue day.........................

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »
This a wierd drabble, but I have my wierd moments.  Don't ask me where it came from, lol, it just did ..
(Another party theme here Marl .. ;) )

A Toast ..

"They were both eighteen.  Keera was a buoyant spirit – a flower-power, incense-burning, pot-smoking, love-making, proud lesbian hippie.  She had the unshaved legs and armpits; and the colourful station wagon to prove it if anyone ever questioned her beliefs.  Camille was a reserved, shy farm girl from the prairies who was more likely to be at the library on a Friday night than hanging around the hotspot in town, clad in mini-skirts and tube tops like the rest of us..

How these two ever managed to become fast friends is beyond me, but they stroke up an unusual friendship and became practically inseparable after only about a month.  We all figured out that they were doing it when we’d see the two of them emerging from Keera’s love-mobile at odd times of the day; their clothes all rumpled and ‘just-got-laid’ looks written all over their guilty faces.  Too bad Keera ditched that station wagon a few years ago.
Still, I'm sure the backseat was in shreds when it ended up in the junk yard .. ;)

Today is a very special day; a day to celebrate the beautiful union of these two lovebirds.  This occasion is long overdue because these two have loved, supported and cared for each other for half their lives.  There are no two people I’d rather be best friends with … So .. A Toast to the gorgeous brides –  Keera and Camille –

‘Here’s to two sweethearts, two lovers, two friends;
To fun, passion, desire and love that never ends.
Here’s to good health and never-ending prosperity;
Two souls, one journey – may love abound for eternity ..
"

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:32:30 am by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:34:20 pm »
 M,

That was great, so funny and sweet and happy :D

and I wanted to say again your BBM drabble was totally awesome today!!!!

Janice, so nice of you to drop by here. 
It's not always so sad.
I hope you do join us soon.

Thanks  :)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 12:07:04 am »
M,
That was great, so funny and sweet and happy :D

Marl

Hee .. Cheers Marl!
I must confess - that little speech means alittle more to me than just a wierd drabble as I called it ..  ;)

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 12:26:28 am »
M,

I kinda thought so........
It did seem so real, and so sweet. :)

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 05:14:13 pm »
(Todays prompts: citrus, doppelganger, lenient.)

At the Restaurant

They sat at the table at the restaurant.  It was dark, there wasn’t a lot of light.  They didn’t speak during the meal.  Then the waiter served dessert.  It was chocolate cake, with chocolate sauce and candied citrus fruit.  They both sat there pretending to eat.  They still didn’t talk.

They were dressed alike that night.  Both with nice shirts on and dress pants, but the shirts were different colors.  One white with blue and the other tan with brown.  They looked alike.  People often thought they were brothers.  Dave once said that they were doppelgangers.  They laughed but they had no idea what it meant.  Jason looked it up as soon as they got home.  He showed Ron.  They smiled and they said that they agree.  Being doubles sounded right.

But they barely spoke since after the party last night.  They wouldn’t have gone to the restaurant but they had reservations.  The reservations were hard to get, but they hardly tasted the food.  It was sort of a fancy restaurant, but it was decorated like it wasn’t fancy at all.  There were checked table cloths and plain wooden floors, but there wasn’t much light.

Jason drank some coffee and then put the cup down.  He looked around the restaurant.  It was half full.  There was a family with two children sitting a few tables away.  There were two little kids, about eight and five.  But it wasn’t the type of restaurant that people often brought their kids.  They were sitting at the table eating their food.  Or actually playing with their food, it mostly seemed.  The smaller one, a little boy was eating with his fingers.  Suddenly he got down from his chair and began running around the restaurant.  His parents didn’t pay attention.  The little boy began going around to all the tables talking to the people.  The parents were so wrapped up in each other they still didn’t notice.  By now Ron was watching too.  They looked at each other.

The little boy then came to their table.  He stuck a finger in Jason’s cake.  Then he looked at Jason and then at Ron.  He looked back and forth at them a few times.  “Are you twins?  You look alike but not” the boy said.

Jason laughed, Ron did too.  Jason took the boy’s hand and walked him back to his table.  He pulled out the chair for the boy and then he said to his parents “I think your being way too lenient.”  Then he quickly walked away.

Ron was laughing hard when Jason got back to the table.  “I’m sorry” Ron said.

”It’s alright” Jason replied.  He leaned over and kissed Ron right there in the restaurant.  The family was watching.  Jason and Ron looked at them and smiled.

(Just trying to use all the prompts)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 07:21:40 pm »
Another dabble today ..  :)

Never Alone ...

She loved everything about him –
His easy-going, live and let live attitude,
His little romantic gestures,
His disarming smile,
The ways he knew to cheer her up
Whenever she fell into one of her moods …
Sure, he didn’t own a car or a house
Or the latest fashions in clothes and shoes,
But he was perfect, just the way he was.
He was like her twin soul –
His flame raged deep within her being,
Beyond the reach of prying parents
Or intrusive neighbors and nosy friends.
It was a solid bond neither of them could define ..

He joined the army after school,
He’d always longed to serve, like his father did.
He was shipped out two years later,
Two weeks after the wedding ceremony.
There’d barely been time for a honeymoon
But alas – such was the life of a man in service.
A month later, she got a letter;
A shorter one arrived few months after that.
He’d caught tuberculosis
But he was recovering well.
Another few months passed, no letters came;
She made a cake on his 23rd birthday;
And lit a candle for him.
That day, his effects were delivered in a box.

He was not coming home -
Something about a bullet in the chest
And two in the back …
She’d collapsed; soon after, the labor pains began.
He had those familiar green eyes she loved so much ..
She named him Rene, which meant ‘reborn’.
She only opened the box a few weeks later.
With trembling hands,
She pulled out his black, leather-bound diary
And turned to the last entry, her vision now blurry ..
Four lines in black ink, scribbled in the familiar handwriting :

“I think today might be it, can’t seem to shake it..
I will die with you in my heart, in my soul, never alone.
If she’s a girl, name her Renata, if he’s a boy name him Rene..
With all my love and a kiss, yours for always .. xo James ..”

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:39:51 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 12:51:22 am »
M,

I am glad you are posting here. 
This one made me almost teary :(
 ;)
Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 12:59:04 am »
When the mood and the inspiration hit, I'll be here for sure!  ;)

See ya tomorrow, friend ..

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 01:09:49 am »
Yep :)

Sweet dreams tonight......

M...l

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:30 pm »
(Today's prompts: a foot of snow, swimming pool, Xerox.  I am not sure why I am writing in series here too now.)

On Monday

Kelly stayed at the Xerox machine for a while.  She liked to make copies because the machine was in its own little room.  She could get away from all of them and their noise.  She was still thinking about the party the other night.  She wished that she hadn’t gone.  Nobody talked to her the whole night.  Not that she really expected anyone too.  Except for that guy, for a moment.  She wondered about those two guys that she saw there.  She asked Dave about them, when she called him yesterday.  He told her that they were a couple of friends, Jason and Ron.  Kelly kept thinking about them.  They seemed so comfortable together.  Maybe it also had to do with that movie she saw.  She was still thinking about that, but she needed to see it again,

Kelly went back to her desk.  They had the radio on blasting as usual.  Celine Dion was screeching one of her songs.  She craved the quiet, but there was no way to get it here and she was stuck here, at least for four more hours today.

She pulled out the package of pictures from her purse that she picked up before she went in to work in the morning.  She had a digital camera but she still liked to take them this way too.  A lot of them were from the snowstorm in the winter.  It took a while before she finally had them developed.  There was over a foot of snow.   She walked a lot in the snow.  It was so quiet.

The phone rang.  It was Dave. “Why don’t you come over tonight?”

“On a Monday?”

“Sure” he said “why not?  I asked Ron and Jason over too.”

“I’ll see” Kelly said.  “Maybe after I go swimming in the new pool, the one they just fixed up in the old gym.”  She smiled after she said that.  She really hated to swim.  But she was always saying things like that.  Or at least whenever they asked her to do things, not that many people did.  Except for Dave.

Dave was always doing stuff like that.  Inviting her out and fixing her up.  She hated it.  Sometimes she didn’t like him very much.  But sometimes he was the only one who seemed to like her just a little.  She didn’t really know why this was so. But maybe she would go over there tonight.  There was something about those guys.

Just three hours to go in this hellhole today.

It was finally time to go.  Kelly was always so glad to leave.  She got out on the street.  It was hot.  But she tried to remember the snow.  She began walking.  But she was not sure where she was going.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
Well, dang - how long has this been here?  I'm in big trouble - another thread I won't be able to resist!  I need more hours in my day!!! 

This is a great idea, Marl!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 12:09:53 am »
Marie,

Thanks,

I've been trying to do this, and M has joined me,
Hopefully, more will come here from time to time.

So glad you stopped by.

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:09 am »
(Today's prompts: silk scarf, black and tan, profound)

The Silk Scarf

She touched the silk scarf.  It was tan colored with black flowers.  Her mother gave it to her today.  She said “your old enough now, I want you to have this.”   Rachel didn’t understand.  It was just an old scarf.  It might have once been pretty, but now it just looked old.  It was threadbare and worn in places, and there were a few little holes.  Some of the stitches on the hem had come undone.  The threads were hanging.

Rachel held it in her hands, but she didn’t understand. “Why are you giving me this?” she had asked her mother.  Couldn’t you have given me something new?”  Her mother looked at her with an exasperated, tired face.   

“Maybe this was a mistake” her mother said.  But then the phone rang and she left the room.  Rachel was left standing there with the old thing in her hands.  It just never worked.  No matter what ever she said or did, it always was wrong.  Rachel held the scarf up to look.  It must have been pretty when it was new.  She put it around her shoulders.    She tried to ignore the not so faint odor of the mothballs that it must have been kept in for a long, long time.  She went over to the mirror.  She took off her pony tail holder and she let her long shiny hair fall across the black flowers that were all over the scarf.  She looked in the mirror.  She took a deep breath.  She turned from side to side.  She kept looking in the mirror.  It was somebody else looking back at her.

Her mother came back to her room.  Rachel quickly pulled the scarf off and started to fold it up.  But her mother took it from her.  “I don’t know if you can understand.  You probably can’t.”

Rachel wanted to say something profound.  She always wanted to, but she never did.  “Maybe I will understand” was all she was able to say.

Her mother held out the scarf.  “It was your grandmother’s scarf.  She got it from her mother for her sixteenth birthday.  She used to say it was the only present she ever got in the old country.”  Her mother hugged the scarf to herself.  “It was all she had when they had to leave, the scarf and the dress she was wearing that day.  You know she was the only one who ever made it here.  She managed to keep this scarf.”

The phone rang again.  Her mother put the scarf on the bed and hurried away.  Rachel picked it up and carefully put around herself again.  She went back to the mirror.  She turned from side to side.  This time she was not startled when she looked at the mirror.  The face she saw was not her own. The face she saw was that of another sixteen year old girl looking back at her.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:05 pm »
Waking up this thread with a dabble .. :)

Today's prompts: 
71, jar, smolder

The Beggar’s Hand

Summer 1980

He dropped a few red cents into the dirty jar sitting between the beggar’s knees.  He’d only walked a couple of meters when he turned around and looked back at the bearded old man.  He couldn’t explain it, but he felt the burning urge to go back and talk to him.

“Pardon me .. sir?” he asked, watching as the old man slowly lifted his head.  “You had something to eat today?” he asked, taking in the offensive odor emanating from the ragged clothing.

The bloodshot eyes held his for a moment.  His heart leapt; he recognized something behind the cloudy blue eyes.  The old man emptied the contents of his glass jar onto the cobblestone.  He counted the coins, and then cleared his throat, “There ain’t much I can git for 71 cents, mister..” he mumbled.

There was no way he could walk away now.  “I’ll get you a sandwich, wait here..”

“Ain’t going no where, mister..” he replied, scratching his scruffy beard.

He hurried over to the sandwich shop less than half a block away.  Five minutes later, he returned to find the old man recounting his pennies.

“Here, I got you a roast beef sandwich and some coffee..”  The tired eyes lit up for a brief moment.  The old man reached out his hand to take the food; that’s when he saw the tattoo.  He nearly dropped the large cup of hot coffee; his hands were shaking so badly.  The old man started eagerly on his sandwich, now oblivious to everything else..

His hands were still trembling when he got home.  A wave of nausea hit and he ran to the bathroom sink and parted with his lunch.  It couldn’t be ... the odds were one in a billion ... Yet he’d seen something familiar in those blue eyes.  He pulled off his shirt, lifted his left arm and looked at the numbers tattooed on the inner side of his own forearm.  He’d thought him dead, gassed in Auschwitz with the others … Another wave of nausea gripped him and he retched; tears falling into the toilet bowl..

(~350 words)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:20:16 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 11:23:08 pm »
M,

That was really special.

So glad that you are keeping this going,
I'll try to again, real soon.

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007, 08:45:05 pm »
It's been quite a while since I have done this, okay, I may as well try again...I guess.

Todays promts: cap and gown, alma mater, diploma.

The Graduation

She never got a high school diploma.  She never wore a cap and gown and she never marched down the line.  She never got to try to hold on to the cap, and throw it with all the others like so many birds taking flight.

She never got to count down to the big day, and sit there trying hard not to be bored.  She never got to see everyone smile and wave.  She never got to say goodbye one last time.

Whenever she reads about her alma mater she quickly turns the page, even all these years later.  Not getting a high school diploma was usually a bad thing, but for her it was supposed to be good.  It was because she was always so smart and so good and everyone said it was better to just go on ahead.

But even all these years later. she still regrets the day.  There were other graduations and real diplomas, but it never was the same.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 02:20:58 pm »

The Graduation

What a unique take on the graduation theme, Marl.  I guess we humans are just naturally geared towards being regretful. 

I hope I'm able to add something to this thread soon.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
Thank you, Marie!!!!
I am so glad you came by here, and it would be wonderful if you try it too. :D  I admit though it is a lot harder without Ennis and Jack. ;)

Thanks again,

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 09:00:48 pm »
Todays prompts: geraniums, hash browns, nose. Oh well, I used one.

The Geraniums

She used to care about the geraniums.  She used to water them every day and carefully pull of the brown leaves.  She used to stand back and admire them whenever she passed by them

But now the geraniums didn’t matter anymore.  She didn’t care at all.  She didn’t care that it was almost July, she still wouldn’t go out and get them.  No matter how much they begged her.  Nothing much mattered anymore.  Not the geraniums, not the clothes, not the nice clean house, sometimes not even the books. 

None of that mattered anymore.  There was too much weighing down on her, too much pressing on her soul, too much that she thought that she couldn’t control.  Too much that she thought she couldn’t change, so she didn’t even try.

So the geraniums didn’t matter at all.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 11:43:25 pm »
Today's prompts: three righ circus, unexpected guests, "go with the flow".

The Old Place

The old place was always a three ring circus.  Sometimes she was glad to be out of there and sometimes she wasn’t.  The new place was much quieter, sometimes too quiet.  She wished that it was nice and all fixed up for unexpected guests. But it wasn’t and there never were any unexpected guests.  Although she dreamed of them.

She never stopped thinking about the old place and all that was left there.  All she wanted was to do something to change it, to make it better.  But she couldn’t , no matter how much she wanted to, there was nothing that she could possibly do. They wouldn’t let her, ever.  They always said it was all her fault anyway.

“Go with the flow” she told herself.  After all, as bad as it was it could be a whole lot worse.  That’s what she tried to tell herself.  But it really didn’t help much either.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 11:17:08 pm »
(Todays prompts: waves, fragments, master)

The Waves

The shattered glass was scattered around her, sharp fragments and shards ready to pierce.  She looked around at it all helplessly, unable to move, unable to find the strength to fight.

But finally she got up, and carefully stepped away from it all.  She went down to the ocean, and watched the waves, and the people splashing and laughing amidst the crashing waters.  Laughing as if they had all the time in the world.

But time was the master, and it held all the truths.  She went back to the shattered glass, hoping to find the strength and the courage to fight and to put it all back together.  Hoping that the pieces weren’t too small, and  praying that it wasn’t too late.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 02:35:51 am »
Great drabbles, M...especially the last.  :)
Loved it.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 08:37:21 am »

Thank yolu, M!  :)