Author Topic: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!  (Read 19939 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:34:20 pm »
 M,

That was great, so funny and sweet and happy :D

and I wanted to say again your BBM drabble was totally awesome today!!!!

Janice, so nice of you to drop by here. 
It's not always so sad.
I hope you do join us soon.

Thanks  :)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 12:07:04 am »
M,
That was great, so funny and sweet and happy :D

Marl

Hee .. Cheers Marl!
I must confess - that little speech means alittle more to me than just a wierd drabble as I called it ..  ;)

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 12:26:28 am »
M,

I kinda thought so........
It did seem so real, and so sweet. :)

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 05:14:13 pm »
(Todays prompts: citrus, doppelganger, lenient.)

At the Restaurant

They sat at the table at the restaurant.  It was dark, there wasn’t a lot of light.  They didn’t speak during the meal.  Then the waiter served dessert.  It was chocolate cake, with chocolate sauce and candied citrus fruit.  They both sat there pretending to eat.  They still didn’t talk.

They were dressed alike that night.  Both with nice shirts on and dress pants, but the shirts were different colors.  One white with blue and the other tan with brown.  They looked alike.  People often thought they were brothers.  Dave once said that they were doppelgangers.  They laughed but they had no idea what it meant.  Jason looked it up as soon as they got home.  He showed Ron.  They smiled and they said that they agree.  Being doubles sounded right.

But they barely spoke since after the party last night.  They wouldn’t have gone to the restaurant but they had reservations.  The reservations were hard to get, but they hardly tasted the food.  It was sort of a fancy restaurant, but it was decorated like it wasn’t fancy at all.  There were checked table cloths and plain wooden floors, but there wasn’t much light.

Jason drank some coffee and then put the cup down.  He looked around the restaurant.  It was half full.  There was a family with two children sitting a few tables away.  There were two little kids, about eight and five.  But it wasn’t the type of restaurant that people often brought their kids.  They were sitting at the table eating their food.  Or actually playing with their food, it mostly seemed.  The smaller one, a little boy was eating with his fingers.  Suddenly he got down from his chair and began running around the restaurant.  His parents didn’t pay attention.  The little boy began going around to all the tables talking to the people.  The parents were so wrapped up in each other they still didn’t notice.  By now Ron was watching too.  They looked at each other.

The little boy then came to their table.  He stuck a finger in Jason’s cake.  Then he looked at Jason and then at Ron.  He looked back and forth at them a few times.  “Are you twins?  You look alike but not” the boy said.

Jason laughed, Ron did too.  Jason took the boy’s hand and walked him back to his table.  He pulled out the chair for the boy and then he said to his parents “I think your being way too lenient.”  Then he quickly walked away.

Ron was laughing hard when Jason got back to the table.  “I’m sorry” Ron said.

”It’s alright” Jason replied.  He leaned over and kissed Ron right there in the restaurant.  The family was watching.  Jason and Ron looked at them and smiled.

(Just trying to use all the prompts)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 07:21:40 pm »
Another dabble today ..  :)

Never Alone ...

She loved everything about him –
His easy-going, live and let live attitude,
His little romantic gestures,
His disarming smile,
The ways he knew to cheer her up
Whenever she fell into one of her moods …
Sure, he didn’t own a car or a house
Or the latest fashions in clothes and shoes,
But he was perfect, just the way he was.
He was like her twin soul –
His flame raged deep within her being,
Beyond the reach of prying parents
Or intrusive neighbors and nosy friends.
It was a solid bond neither of them could define ..

He joined the army after school,
He’d always longed to serve, like his father did.
He was shipped out two years later,
Two weeks after the wedding ceremony.
There’d barely been time for a honeymoon
But alas – such was the life of a man in service.
A month later, she got a letter;
A shorter one arrived few months after that.
He’d caught tuberculosis
But he was recovering well.
Another few months passed, no letters came;
She made a cake on his 23rd birthday;
And lit a candle for him.
That day, his effects were delivered in a box.

He was not coming home -
Something about a bullet in the chest
And two in the back …
She’d collapsed; soon after, the labor pains began.
He had those familiar green eyes she loved so much ..
She named him Rene, which meant ‘reborn’.
She only opened the box a few weeks later.
With trembling hands,
She pulled out his black, leather-bound diary
And turned to the last entry, her vision now blurry ..
Four lines in black ink, scribbled in the familiar handwriting :

“I think today might be it, can’t seem to shake it..
I will die with you in my heart, in my soul, never alone.
If she’s a girl, name her Renata, if he’s a boy name him Rene..
With all my love and a kiss, yours for always .. xo James ..”

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:39:51 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 12:51:22 am »
M,

I am glad you are posting here. 
This one made me almost teary :(
 ;)
Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 12:59:04 am »
When the mood and the inspiration hit, I'll be here for sure!  ;)

See ya tomorrow, friend ..

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 01:09:49 am »
Yep :)

Sweet dreams tonight......

M...l

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:30 pm »
(Today's prompts: a foot of snow, swimming pool, Xerox.  I am not sure why I am writing in series here too now.)

On Monday

Kelly stayed at the Xerox machine for a while.  She liked to make copies because the machine was in its own little room.  She could get away from all of them and their noise.  She was still thinking about the party the other night.  She wished that she hadn’t gone.  Nobody talked to her the whole night.  Not that she really expected anyone too.  Except for that guy, for a moment.  She wondered about those two guys that she saw there.  She asked Dave about them, when she called him yesterday.  He told her that they were a couple of friends, Jason and Ron.  Kelly kept thinking about them.  They seemed so comfortable together.  Maybe it also had to do with that movie she saw.  She was still thinking about that, but she needed to see it again,

Kelly went back to her desk.  They had the radio on blasting as usual.  Celine Dion was screeching one of her songs.  She craved the quiet, but there was no way to get it here and she was stuck here, at least for four more hours today.

She pulled out the package of pictures from her purse that she picked up before she went in to work in the morning.  She had a digital camera but she still liked to take them this way too.  A lot of them were from the snowstorm in the winter.  It took a while before she finally had them developed.  There was over a foot of snow.   She walked a lot in the snow.  It was so quiet.

The phone rang.  It was Dave. “Why don’t you come over tonight?”

“On a Monday?”

“Sure” he said “why not?  I asked Ron and Jason over too.”

“I’ll see” Kelly said.  “Maybe after I go swimming in the new pool, the one they just fixed up in the old gym.”  She smiled after she said that.  She really hated to swim.  But she was always saying things like that.  Or at least whenever they asked her to do things, not that many people did.  Except for Dave.

Dave was always doing stuff like that.  Inviting her out and fixing her up.  She hated it.  Sometimes she didn’t like him very much.  But sometimes he was the only one who seemed to like her just a little.  She didn’t really know why this was so. But maybe she would go over there tonight.  There was something about those guys.

Just three hours to go in this hellhole today.

It was finally time to go.  Kelly was always so glad to leave.  She got out on the street.  It was hot.  But she tried to remember the snow.  She began walking.  But she was not sure where she was going.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 01:29:47 pm »
Well, dang - how long has this been here?  I'm in big trouble - another thread I won't be able to resist!  I need more hours in my day!!! 

This is a great idea, Marl!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain