Author Topic: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!  (Read 19915 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The BM Non-BBM Drabble Party: Please Join In!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 12:09:53 am »
Marie,

Thanks,

I've been trying to do this, and M has joined me,
Hopefully, more will come here from time to time.

So glad you stopped by.

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:09 am »
(Today's prompts: silk scarf, black and tan, profound)

The Silk Scarf

She touched the silk scarf.  It was tan colored with black flowers.  Her mother gave it to her today.  She said “your old enough now, I want you to have this.”   Rachel didn’t understand.  It was just an old scarf.  It might have once been pretty, but now it just looked old.  It was threadbare and worn in places, and there were a few little holes.  Some of the stitches on the hem had come undone.  The threads were hanging.

Rachel held it in her hands, but she didn’t understand. “Why are you giving me this?” she had asked her mother.  Couldn’t you have given me something new?”  Her mother looked at her with an exasperated, tired face.   

“Maybe this was a mistake” her mother said.  But then the phone rang and she left the room.  Rachel was left standing there with the old thing in her hands.  It just never worked.  No matter what ever she said or did, it always was wrong.  Rachel held the scarf up to look.  It must have been pretty when it was new.  She put it around her shoulders.    She tried to ignore the not so faint odor of the mothballs that it must have been kept in for a long, long time.  She went over to the mirror.  She took off her pony tail holder and she let her long shiny hair fall across the black flowers that were all over the scarf.  She looked in the mirror.  She took a deep breath.  She turned from side to side.  She kept looking in the mirror.  It was somebody else looking back at her.

Her mother came back to her room.  Rachel quickly pulled the scarf off and started to fold it up.  But her mother took it from her.  “I don’t know if you can understand.  You probably can’t.”

Rachel wanted to say something profound.  She always wanted to, but she never did.  “Maybe I will understand” was all she was able to say.

Her mother held out the scarf.  “It was your grandmother’s scarf.  She got it from her mother for her sixteenth birthday.  She used to say it was the only present she ever got in the old country.”  Her mother hugged the scarf to herself.  “It was all she had when they had to leave, the scarf and the dress she was wearing that day.  You know she was the only one who ever made it here.  She managed to keep this scarf.”

The phone rang again.  Her mother put the scarf on the bed and hurried away.  Rachel picked it up and carefully put around herself again.  She went back to the mirror.  She turned from side to side.  This time she was not startled when she looked at the mirror.  The face she saw was not her own. The face she saw was that of another sixteen year old girl looking back at her.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 04:16:05 pm »
Waking up this thread with a dabble .. :)

Today's prompts: 
71, jar, smolder

The Beggar’s Hand

Summer 1980

He dropped a few red cents into the dirty jar sitting between the beggar’s knees.  He’d only walked a couple of meters when he turned around and looked back at the bearded old man.  He couldn’t explain it, but he felt the burning urge to go back and talk to him.

“Pardon me .. sir?” he asked, watching as the old man slowly lifted his head.  “You had something to eat today?” he asked, taking in the offensive odor emanating from the ragged clothing.

The bloodshot eyes held his for a moment.  His heart leapt; he recognized something behind the cloudy blue eyes.  The old man emptied the contents of his glass jar onto the cobblestone.  He counted the coins, and then cleared his throat, “There ain’t much I can git for 71 cents, mister..” he mumbled.

There was no way he could walk away now.  “I’ll get you a sandwich, wait here..”

“Ain’t going no where, mister..” he replied, scratching his scruffy beard.

He hurried over to the sandwich shop less than half a block away.  Five minutes later, he returned to find the old man recounting his pennies.

“Here, I got you a roast beef sandwich and some coffee..”  The tired eyes lit up for a brief moment.  The old man reached out his hand to take the food; that’s when he saw the tattoo.  He nearly dropped the large cup of hot coffee; his hands were shaking so badly.  The old man started eagerly on his sandwich, now oblivious to everything else..

His hands were still trembling when he got home.  A wave of nausea hit and he ran to the bathroom sink and parted with his lunch.  It couldn’t be ... the odds were one in a billion ... Yet he’d seen something familiar in those blue eyes.  He pulled off his shirt, lifted his left arm and looked at the numbers tattooed on the inner side of his own forearm.  He’d thought him dead, gassed in Auschwitz with the others … Another wave of nausea gripped him and he retched; tears falling into the toilet bowl..

(~350 words)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:20:16 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 11:23:08 pm »
M,

That was really special.

So glad that you are keeping this going,
I'll try to again, real soon.

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2007, 08:45:05 pm »
It's been quite a while since I have done this, okay, I may as well try again...I guess.

Todays promts: cap and gown, alma mater, diploma.

The Graduation

She never got a high school diploma.  She never wore a cap and gown and she never marched down the line.  She never got to try to hold on to the cap, and throw it with all the others like so many birds taking flight.

She never got to count down to the big day, and sit there trying hard not to be bored.  She never got to see everyone smile and wave.  She never got to say goodbye one last time.

Whenever she reads about her alma mater she quickly turns the page, even all these years later.  Not getting a high school diploma was usually a bad thing, but for her it was supposed to be good.  It was because she was always so smart and so good and everyone said it was better to just go on ahead.

But even all these years later. she still regrets the day.  There were other graduations and real diplomas, but it never was the same.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2007, 02:20:58 pm »

The Graduation

What a unique take on the graduation theme, Marl.  I guess we humans are just naturally geared towards being regretful. 

I hope I'm able to add something to this thread soon.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
Thank you, Marie!!!!
I am so glad you came by here, and it would be wonderful if you try it too. :D  I admit though it is a lot harder without Ennis and Jack. ;)

Thanks again,

Marl

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2007, 09:00:48 pm »
Todays prompts: geraniums, hash browns, nose. Oh well, I used one.

The Geraniums

She used to care about the geraniums.  She used to water them every day and carefully pull of the brown leaves.  She used to stand back and admire them whenever she passed by them

But now the geraniums didn’t matter anymore.  She didn’t care at all.  She didn’t care that it was almost July, she still wouldn’t go out and get them.  No matter how much they begged her.  Nothing much mattered anymore.  Not the geraniums, not the clothes, not the nice clean house, sometimes not even the books. 

None of that mattered anymore.  There was too much weighing down on her, too much pressing on her soul, too much that she thought that she couldn’t control.  Too much that she thought she couldn’t change, so she didn’t even try.

So the geraniums didn’t matter at all.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 11:43:25 pm »
Today's prompts: three righ circus, unexpected guests, "go with the flow".

The Old Place

The old place was always a three ring circus.  Sometimes she was glad to be out of there and sometimes she wasn’t.  The new place was much quieter, sometimes too quiet.  She wished that it was nice and all fixed up for unexpected guests. But it wasn’t and there never were any unexpected guests.  Although she dreamed of them.

She never stopped thinking about the old place and all that was left there.  All she wanted was to do something to change it, to make it better.  But she couldn’t , no matter how much she wanted to, there was nothing that she could possibly do. They wouldn’t let her, ever.  They always said it was all her fault anyway.

“Go with the flow” she told herself.  After all, as bad as it was it could be a whole lot worse.  That’s what she tried to tell herself.  But it really didn’t help much either.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 11:17:08 pm »
(Todays prompts: waves, fragments, master)

The Waves

The shattered glass was scattered around her, sharp fragments and shards ready to pierce.  She looked around at it all helplessly, unable to move, unable to find the strength to fight.

But finally she got up, and carefully stepped away from it all.  She went down to the ocean, and watched the waves, and the people splashing and laughing amidst the crashing waters.  Laughing as if they had all the time in the world.

But time was the master, and it held all the truths.  She went back to the shattered glass, hoping to find the strength and the courage to fight and to put it all back together.  Hoping that the pieces weren’t too small, and  praying that it wasn’t too late.