Author Topic: Least Favorite Character in BBM  (Read 47476 times)

moremojo

Re: Least Favorite Character in BBM
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 04:40:34 pm »

And I've got no problem with Cassie - she certainly had impeccable taste, and she was just trying to do the best she could.
Agreed. She's a bit forward and bold, but she's got a good heart, and gave Ennis some of the attention and affection that he deserved and, I suspect, needed. Cassie is easy on the eyes in her own right, and she and Ennis would make a nice couple in terms of how they look together. And how I would like to be Cassie nestled against Ennis on that barroom dance floor!

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:43:26 pm by moremojo »

moremojo

Re: A confession
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 04:49:29 pm »
She put her tired, smelly feet in Ennis's lap and asked him to rub them.  That is never ok - not under any circumstance.
Pretty bold, to be sure, and it's not the kind of thing most folks, I assume, would do. But Ennis actually seems pleased (or pretends that he is pleased); note the wry little smile on his face as he complies with Cassie's request.

And a little confession on my part: Ennis could place his tired, smelly feet in my lap anytime!

:)
Scott

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 04:50:48 pm »
. And how I would like to be Cassie nestled against Ennis on that barroom dance floor!

Scott M.

Umm..get in line Scott! You'll have to wait your turn like all the others!  ;D
I find Ennis incredibly smokin' in that scene - maybe it is the way he hunches over a little and fidgets with that damn cigarette; nice butt there too!  ;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »
OK, OK.  Cassie *is* annoying.  And way more forward than I would ever be.  Hell, Lureen is way more forward than I'd ever be.  But least favorite?  No way.  And come to think of it, I'd like to change my vote - not to Jimbo, but to Ennis' father.  Of course he is the worst of the worst.  John Twist is more pathetic than anything.  And he certainly has very little power ultimately - his wife and son were able to overcome his negative ways and far surpass him, as has been said.

Can you please set up your poll so I can change my vote?  (And could I be any more annoying?  Crap - I'm vying with Cassie, aren't I?)
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 07:14:52 pm »

Can you please set up your poll so I can change my vote?  (And could I be any more annoying?  Crap - I'm vying with Cassie, aren't I?)

Hi Barb,  When I set up the poll, I made it so that people could change their votes..or so I thought!  ???
Now, when I go to edit the poll, I don't even see the option to make votes changeable.
Do you have any idea about this?   :-\ Anyone?

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 07:31:59 pm »
Without reading the other posts or even the list of choices--  my first thought was...BOBBY TWIST.  Then, of course I realized you were referring to the actual characters, not the actors who portrayed them!  With that in mind, I'll have to go along with the senior Mr. Del Mar, for planting those hideous homophobic ideas in the minds of sweet little Ennis and K.E.

Dishonorable mention goes to:

- 4th of July biker creeps
- rude old men in Lureen's office (making disparaging remarks about Jack!)
- Cassie sticking her stinky feet on Ennis and calling him 'dummy' just grates on my nerves.  I guess it bothered me more than it did him.   :-\

- Oh, what the heck, dang it---BOBBY F-ing TWIST!  'Next two weeks'?!?  That's right, little 'Weird Child from Anywhere but Texas'....  Why, I oughta......   >:(     
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 09:31:37 pm »

- Oh, what the heck, dang it---BOBBY F-ing TWIST!  'Next two weeks'?!?  That's right, little 'Weird Child from Anywhere but Texas'....  Why, I oughta......   >:(     

:laugh:
Aww..poor Bobby! lol...

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 10:37:58 pm »
OMG!   It has to be Ennis's Father!   The Bastard!

It is all his fault that Ennis couldn't bring himself to openly LOVE Jack.
    :'(

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 10:47:04 pm »
I am not revoting or changing my vote,
just a note in defense of Cassie

Ennis has just been castrating calves this morning
a foot or two are not a problem for him

Cassie is in the story to show that Ennis has no interest in playing heterosexual games with another woman's life, just for show.

He looks so noble, sad and hurt with his apple pie at the restaurant on his last meeting with Cassie.
That character and performance by Heath is so universal but specific.

I love Ennis because he is so real.

oops this is about who we dislike - sorry...
GRRR old man Del Mar - rest in pieces by the highway.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 10:49:47 pm »
I'm waffling between Mr. Del Mar and Mr. Twist.  I know that Ennis' father is to be reviled for instilling his own homophobia in Ennis, leading to Ennis' life-long denial of his love for Jack.  And there is a case to be made that he was directly involved in Earl's murder.  As bad as he was, though, it was the early 1950's and I think he was a product of his own upbringing.  In a very convoluted way, he could have been trying to protect his sons from a similar fate.

That said, I'm going with Mr. Twist.  I cannot get past him facing Ennis, obviously aware of how much Ennis is hurting, and choosing to knowingly inflict additional pain.  Jack's mother's unconditional love and acceptance makes her husband's rejection and hatred that much more severe.  And just because Annie Proulx's scene from Jack's childhood didn't make the movie doesn't mean it didn't happen.  He was an abuser from the beginning.

They're both very very bad...flip a coin, I guess.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."