Author Topic: Least Favorite Character in BBM  (Read 47647 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Least Favorite Character in BBM
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2008, 03:08:34 pm »
Well, I hate the Jolly Minister.  "...and if you don't, I will" makes me want to slap him every time.  Get your jollies somewhere else, bud.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
Well, I hate the Jolly Minister.  "...and if you don't, I will" makes me want to slap him every time.  Get your jollies somewhere else, bud.
LOL! Me too!
I always thought that was wierd.
I thought that would have been a great place for the line (you wanna loose half you F'in teeth!) LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2008, 05:55:48 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2008, 07:06:24 pm »
I hate the Basque. What's the big deal about a few soup boxes? Talk about lazy!

I almost said the Basque, almost, but he was on to Ennis, I know he was.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:38 pm »
Have just read through this post and find it very humorous.

I agree about that minister.....hate that scene and what he says....as if a young girl would want him to kiss her....as you say, he was getting his jollies.

And Cassie, when she puts her tired smelly feet up on Ennis's lap.....ugh!!....what a tramp.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2008, 08:24:54 pm »
Really dislike Randal his head seem enormous, or was his hat just too small. also, hate to be shallow, but he was way out of Jack's league.I mean what was he thinking, he was about a 6, Jack  9.5 and of course for me Ennis is a 10.
Not too keen on the slime ball minister either.
But the no.1 slot has to go to Ennis's father, for being the driving force behind the whole tragedy.

JudgeHolden

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:42 pm »
From a writers POV I liked all the characters in that they were all there for a purpose to the story and nothing was wasted, not a cardboard cutout among them.  I dont got nothing against the Preacher, think you all just dont like him cause hes performing the marriage ceremony that is the keystone of the wall that will separate Jack and Ennis for good. Hes a  nice enough fella, give him a break, hes injecting a little levity into a solemn moment and yeah, has a corny sense of humor, hes not gonna be cracking jokes like, "a nked blonde walks into a bar with a [blank] under her arm.."

Or Cassie. Most straight guys would think Christmas came early if that gal came along and asked them for a footrub. A buddy of mine said he knew Ennis was gay for sure because of how he reacted to  Sassy Cassie.  She was just barking up the wtong tree, and she really did love the guy.

Dont understand the hating towards Aguirre either. He hired those boys to do a job and they blew it off to blow each other. So he dont hire them back, I wouldnt either in his shoes, watching thme frolic in the campground while the coyotes are up in the pasture snacking on my sheep. And note, he does not wade in there and bust it up (too late in the season to hire anyone) or call them queers, or is there any evidence he ratted them out in town. He just declines to hire them back, and not even in an especially homophobic manner. No, hes no picture of enlightenment, likely despises queers, but he dont go out of his way to make their lives difficult.

I dont even hate the fathers of the boys, as much damage as they did, they were hard, embittered men, defeated by grinding poverty that (in John Twists case) slopped over on his son, to where you know Jack didnt let anything pass his lips that his Daddy didnt put down or dismiss outright. You have to feel sorry for them, really, they were stuck with few options, maybe not likeable, but not evil.

My choice is them 2 bikers. Guys like that (and they were not stereotypes unfortunately) need there asses kicked as much as possible, intimidating women and kids, just because your a redneck is no excuse to be trash.

Though the character I would least like to be seated next to at a family reunion/long flight is LaShawn Malone. Bless her heart, Im sure shes a fine woman (her real-life equivalents) but Randalls expression even before he starts making eyes at Jack says it all. Think Id be eyeballing that guy Ennis is partnered with on the roadcrew from sheer desperation if I had to sit across the dinner table from her evry night. You know Randall is big ol drunk and if BBM took place in 1998 in stead of 1978, Randall would be online every spare minute on manfactory.com making new freiends.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 09:24:30 am »

My least favourite character isn't listed.

The character I like least is Randall Malone.  >:(

Why? Because he presents the most viable, real risk of being the one who's ultimately responsible for breaking-up Jack and Ennis. And he's just too smarmy and clever for words. He's a snake. I don't like him. He should keep his grubby hands to himself and stay away from Jack (and that goes for you too, Jack!). 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
Have just read through this post and find it very humorous.

I agree about that minister.....hate that scene and what he says....as if a young girl would want him to kiss her....as you say, he was getting his jollies.

One thing that troubles me about that scene is that the minister is an older man, 50- or 60-something; so unless he entered the ministry late in life, he's performed a lot of marriages over the years.  And has seen his share of marrying couples where one or both of them were clearly unhappy. For anyone who performs marriages regularly, that must be something that chills the blood.

On some viewings, my reaction has been 'how dense!' and in others, 'whether anyone else in the church noticed anything amiss or not, he's trying to convince himself that this isn't one of those sad weddings by lightening things up a bit.'

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 10:47:41 am »
My least favourite character isn't listed.

The character I like least is Randall Malone.  >:(

Why? Because he presents the most viable, real risk of being the one who's ultimately responsible for breaking-up Jack and Ennis. And he's just too smarmy and clever for words. He's a snake. I don't like him. He should keep his grubby hands to himself and stay away from Jack (and that goes for you too, Jack!). 

Though the character I would least like to be seated next to at a family reunion/long flight is LaShawn Malone. Bless her heart, Im sure shes a fine woman (her real-life equivalents) but Randalls expression even before he starts making eyes at Jack says it all. Think Id be eyeballing that guy Ennis is partnered with on the roadcrew from sheer desperation if I had to sit across the dinner table from her evry night. You know Randall is big ol drunk and if BBM took place in 1998 in stead of 1978, Randall would be online every spare minute on manfactory.com making new freiends.

I didn't dislike Randall; as far as Ennis and Jack are concerned he's arguably an innocent bystander as he can't have any way of knowing in his one scene of Ennis' existence.  And later.... well, from his perspective this is a relationship that obviously isn't doing Jack any good so I doubt his intentions are bad.

And Randall appears to be stuck in a marriage at least as bleak as Jack's, with a wife who clearly thinks she's married beneath her.  While his wife's chatter sounds silly and innocuous on the surface, there are snide little put-downs scattered throughout, such as "like it or not, here I am!" (when someone says "like it or not" about their own situation; it's a bet that not is what they're thinking of).  She makes a point of Randall not knowing what to do when the car breaks down and when she tells Lureen about how much money she spent on clothes while working for Neiman-Marcus, she mentions that she spent "more than Randall ever will make." 

And as someone who attended college in the Deep South not far from the time that LaShawn and Lureen did, I can tell you that the Tri-Delt sorority (Delta-Delta-Delta) was the sorority for rich and semi-rich Daddy's girls at that particular time and place.  IMO, her remark about Texas not being what they expected and her indirect reference to her income isn't unrelated to that.  Jack might have been the best thing Randall's eyes had seen for years!