Author Topic: Least Favorite Character in BBM  (Read 47482 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Least Favorite Character in BBM
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 02:23:49 pm »
One thing that troubles me about that scene is that the minister is an older man, 50- or 60-something; so unless he entered the ministry late in life, he's performed a lot of marriages over the years.  And has seen his share of marrying couples where one or both of them were clearly unhappy. For anyone who performs marriages regularly, that must be something that chills the blood.

Interesting point, Marge! I hadn't thought about that before. His stupid-sounding line may be him trying to leaven what seemed an awkward or uncomfortable situation.

And Randall appears to be stuck in a marriage at least as bleak as Jack's, with a wife who clearly thinks she's married beneath her.  While his wife's chatter sounds silly and innocuous on the surface, there are snide little put-downs scattered throughout, such as "like it or not, here I am!" (when someone says "like it or not" about their own situation; it's a bet that not is what they're thinking of).  She makes a point of Randall not knowing what to do when the car breaks down and when she tells Lureen about how much money she spent on clothes while working for Neiman-Marcus, she mentions that she spent "more than Randall ever will make."

I agree. LaShawn puts down Randall numerous times, and they're all vaguely veiled attacks on his masculinity. He can't fix a truck, he's not a good breadwinner and he doesn't "have a smidgen of rhythm," in a context where rhythm/dancing has already been established as a euphemism for sex.

You know, I like LaShawn and I never thought about this before, but it might have been interesting to see a different kind of character in that part. What if Randall reacted that same way to Jack -- even though he had a wife who was attractive and appealing?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 03:39:21 pm »
On some viewings, my reaction has been 'how dense!' and in others, 'whether anyone else in the church noticed anything amiss or not, he's trying to convince himself that this isn't one of those sad weddings by lightening things up a bit.'

Yep, lightening things up is exactly how I've always viewed this - thanks for articulating that so well.  And it seems to work doesn't it?  We get that little almost-laugh out of Ennis, which always squeezes my heart.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2008, 02:17:27 pm »
Marge and K, the observations about LaShawn are definitely really interesting.  There are certainly interesting social hierarchies at play in the dinner-dance conversation.  I think you're right that LaShawn's discussion is peppered with little put-downs toward Randall.  She may think she's being light-hearted and witty... but those little put downs probably sting for Randall... especially because she probably talks that way frequently to many folks.

As far as Jack is concerned... I always find it fascinating that he's the only one of the four who didn't attend college.  I'm sure all the discussions of sororities and college majors, etc. are an irritant to him too.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:32 pm »
I voted for John Twist. Ennis´s dad is probably worse, but we never get to see him so somehow he still doesn´t provoke the same feeling of anger as JT does.

If the guys that killed Jack had been on the list I would have voted differently...every time I see that scene I want to do something....violently... :-\

Another scene I can hardly watch is the scene with Randall. I know that logically I shouldn´t...but I do. Maybe because of the same reason some people find Cassie annoying. But everytime I see that scene I feel like throwing up - it is something about Randall that feels just so...tacky and everything else that Jack/Ennis is not I guess.

I guess sometimes one´s feelings can´t be explained with logic ::)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2008, 04:07:26 pm »

I guess sometimes one´s feelings can´t be explained with logic ::)

Ain't that the truth!  ;)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

JudgeHolden

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2008, 05:03:21 pm »
I didn't dislike Randall; as far as Ennis and Jack are concerned he's arguably an innocent bystander as he can't have any way of knowing in his one scene of Ennis' existence.  And later.... well, from his perspective this is a relationship that obviously isn't doing Jack any good so I doubt his intentions are bad.

And Randall appears to be stuck in a marriage at least as bleak as Jack's, with a wife who clearly thinks she's married beneath her.  While his wife's chatter sounds silly and innocuous on the surface, there are snide little put-downs scattered throughout, such as "like it or not, here I am!" (when someone says "like it or not" about their own situation; it's a bet that not is what they're thinking of).  She makes a point of Randall not knowing what to do when the car breaks down and when she tells Lureen about how much money she spent on clothes while working for Neiman-Marcus, she mentions that she spent "more than Randall ever will make." 

And as someone who attended college in the Deep South not far from the time that LaShawn and Lureen did, I can tell you that the Tri-Delt sorority (Delta-Delta-Delta) was the sorority for rich and semi-rich Daddy's girls at that particular time and place.  IMO, her remark about Texas not being what they expected and her indirect reference to her income isn't unrelated to that.  Jack might have been the best thing Randall's eyes had seen for years!

Dont forget Lureens dig at Jack, "Husbands...dont never seem to want to dance with their wives. Whyd you think  is, Jack." and his brush-off, "Never gave it any thought." Both women are putting on a show but there is clearly anger underneath at there men who are not being husbands to them, the fatigue of being married to a closeted man and wondering why if youre holding up youre end, the men aint behaving like the marital-advice books say they will. They are both good-looking women, havent let themselves go, dont keep a funky house, so what gives, they wonder. Theire men no doubt do there share of drinking, how couples in their position coped in those days.

Randall is maybe a year or two older than Jack, maybe they been married a little longer (you dont find out if theres a Randall Jr. but I assume theres kids), long enough hes learned to do that male eye-dance you can back away from if your radar turns out to be off.

I got a hard time watching it too, but because I lived it, and I know too well what comes later, when the couples part ways and drive home in silence to their resentment and obligation-filled homes. That kind of silence between man and wife can lie so thick on the dark bedroom it seems only a gunshot can break it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2008, 05:17:21 pm »
You know, I like LaShawn and I never thought about this before, but it might have been interesting to see a different kind of character in that part. What if Randall reacted that same way to Jack -- even though he had a wife who was attractive and appealing?

But LaShawn WAS attractive and appealing, wasn't she? And her motor mouth was funny at least for the first few minutes. The last time I saw the movie, at Signal Mountain Lodge, I was struck with how LaShawn and Cassie had such assymetrical hairdos. I wonder if that's a clue to how we should look at these late-appearing characters.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2008, 05:35:54 pm »
Dont forget Lureens dig at Jack, "Husbands...dont never seem to want to dance with their wives. Whyd you think  is, Jack." and his brush-off, "Never gave it any thought."

Literally!   ;D

Both women are putting on a show but there is clearly anger underneath at there men who are not being husbands to them, the fatigue of being married to a closeted man and wondering why if youre holding up youre end, the men aint behaving like the marital-advice books say they will. They are both good-looking women, havent let themselves go, dont keep a funky house, so what gives, they wonder. Theire men no doubt do there share of drinking, how couples in their position coped in those days.

Yup, I totally agree. And while her man is drinking, Lureen throws herself into her work to cope.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 07:01:30 pm by seriouscrayons »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2008, 06:42:09 pm »
I voted for John Twist. Ennis´s dad is probably worse, but we never get to see him so somehow he still doesn´t provoke the same feeling of anger as JT does.

I voted for Ennis' father.  Have heard a rather nauseating array of arguments spinning or softening what he did (most of the "it's just their culture" variety) but I don't know....

There's just something about beating a man to a pulp, dragging him around by the genitals until they get ripped off and then taking your two young sons to show off the body to that seems.... well, you know.... sort of rude.   :P

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2008, 06:43:35 pm »

Both women are putting on a show but there is clearly anger underneath at there men who are not being husbands to them, the fatigue of being married to a closeted man and wondering why if youre holding up youre end, the men aint behaving like the marital-advice books say they will. They are both good-looking women, havent let themselves go, dont keep a funky house, so what gives, they wonder. Theire men no doubt do there share of drinking, how couples in their position coped in those days.

Except that LeShawn is a bit more direct about feeling that she married beneath her.  And that could have surfaced pretty early in the marriage.