Author Topic: Jack was maligned unfairly  (Read 14235 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Jack was maligned unfairly
« on: March 20, 2007, 10:53:15 pm »
I had a scare tonite--I needed to read this topic so badly and I couldn't find it anywhere! As you might expect, it has disappeared from imdb where I laboured over it such a long, long time ago--a year ago!!

But thanks to Jenny and Andrew, it is saved here:

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/

Look halfway down the left side, under Characters and then under Jack Twist.

I will synopsize the thread and then post more soon. Please add your thoughts!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Jack was maligned unfairly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:22:55 am »
Ennis told Jack to hush up his harmonica playing or else he'd scare off the sheep. This runs contrary to the prevailing customs in the sheepherding industry. Cowboys and sheepherders' musical skills were valued. They calmed down the livestock, they did not run them off. This was documented in Patricia Earl Warren's article "Homos on the Range" in True West Magazine, discussing Brokeback Mountain.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »
Ennis told Jack to hush up his harmonica playing or else he'd scare off the sheep. This runs contrary to the prevailing customs in the sheepherding industry. Cowboys and sheepherders' musical skills were valued. They calmed down the livestock, they did not run them off. This was documented in Patricia Earl Warren's article "Homos on the Range" in True West Magazine, discussing Brokeback Mountain.

Thanks so much for posting the archives for TOB - I never knew that index existed though I have spent many an hour on IMDB reading the older posts. Interesting topic - I always interpreted Ennis' comment as tongue-in-cheek - apparently he did not think that Jack's musical ability with the harmonica had a 'calming' effect upon the sheep, or upon him.  Maybe from another perspective, do you think that it made Ennis feel uncomfortable or that he just liked to tease Jack about it? I'm wondering if maybe Ennis saw it as not very macho.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:06:47 pm »
...do you think that it made Ennis feel uncomfortable or that he just liked to tease Jack about it? I'm wondering if maybe Ennis saw it as not very macho.

That's an interesting thought, but I don't see it that way, Cat. The way men relate, minor insults passed back and forth are a sign of friendship. (Took me a long time to figure that out. In fact, it can be hilarious to listen to!) You can't tease a stranger, but you can a friend, you know? (It's part of why Jack laughs heartily when Ennis shoves him & says "tired a your dumbass missin!" It's kind of a breakthrough, really.)

However, something like harmonica playing is something Ennis would never do -- can you picture him doing it? It doesn't fit him -- too lighthearted & outgoing for his character.

Interestingly however, Ennis is more vocal and verbal with the animals than anyone else in the film. He has a constant dialogue with them, with his whistles and chirps. An earthy person more aligned (and comfortable) with the animal world, maybe.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 11:22:56 pm »
Hooray for the Archives!  They save the day once again!
 :-*

I agree with a couple points above, that in this scene with Jack playing the harmonica near the sheep Ennis is teasing and even flirting with Jack.  I think he's trying (consciously at this point) to turn the harmonica into an inside joke between the two of them.  Which I think is why he brings it up again years later during the reunion camping trip.  I don't think he's actually bothered by Jack's harmonica playing one tiny bit.  At this point, I think he's so smitten with Jack that he probably thinks it's adorable and the best music he's ever heard.  The happy look on Ennis's face indicates this to me (his facial expression and the tone of his voice contradict his teasing remark). 

It's interesting that it seems that the harmonica fits Jack's personality (maybe because it's loud and exhuberant) and not Ennis's.  But, Ennis is musical.  We know he likes to hum/sing to himself and then he hums to Jack too during the flashback.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »
Those are good points, Amanda! Ennis WAS musical after all, and, I actually thought he was not that bad of a dancer! I've seen much worse! Jack for his part was actually a good cook--a fine potato parer, even in the face of distractions!! He was not just the only combine salesman they had, he was a good combine salesman! In fact, he was excellent at combining and at Sales!! There wasn't a thing that he didn't do well, and, he used to try, he really tried.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:05:53 am »
and, he used to try, he really tried.

Awwww.  Why yes he did.   :D  I think Jack's relative awkwardness at certain things and his continuing willingness to "try" is very, very cute. 

This whole "trying" topic is what Jake said he was going for a lot of the time in that interview on the DVD (I'm sure you all realize this).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:44:15 am »
Jack was being teased, it was an inside joke. He DID, after all, suck on the harmonica
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:20:21 am »
All of these are such good insights - definitely I agree with your interpretation LG, that of a friendly, teasing nature that Ennis had and his comfortableness in ribbing Jack...you're exactly right about the comaraderie that males develop in this respect. Great allusion everyone to Ennis' natural 'musical' abilities versus Jack's learned musical abilities (I assume he learned or was self-taught on the harmonica) - and the fit with each of their respective personalities.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:31:34 am »
Jack was being teased, it was an inside joke. He DID, after all, suck on the harmonica

Well, of course he did suck on the harmonica, that's how you play a harmonica, you suck and blow!  ;D

And, Amanda, I got the quote wrong... I think it was "He used to try." This is from the "pissant" scene.

I would also like to mention that in this movie, Jack played the archetype of the good shepherd, and the harmonica was one of the tools he used to minister to his flock. In Ennis's ribbing, were there elements not only of admiration, but also envy and jealousy??