Author Topic: Other Ang Lee Films  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Other Ang Lee Films
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 11:37:19 pm »
Okay, I'll hazard a guess at answering my own question. Could it be the low-startle-point filly that "kick-starts" the action in Brokeback Mountain??

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:40:48 pm »
I'll mention Sense and Sensibility since no one else has yet.    ;)
   Ang Lee directed it, swore he'd never work with sheep again, and had to break his own vows on that particular point.   

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 12:03:23 am »
D'oh!  I forgot to mention The Ice Storm, which I really liked.  Lee did a lot with the brutal, icy winter of Connecticut in that film.   The weather seems to figure prominently in his films, at least the ones I've seen.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:55:07 am »
Lucise did bring up The Ice Storm earlier. That is one Ang Lee film I can't bring myself to see. I think it came out about the same time as American Beauty and it was a film that disturbed me because it hit so close to home. Maybe I should get up my courage to see The Ice Storm. Tell me more about it.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:13:39 am »
Sigorney Weaver's performance was top notch. It's too bad she will be remembered for the Aliens thing.  A great ensemble cash for THE ICE STORM.    Ang Lee does a great job of capturing  very affluent suburbia in the 1970's. I guess these decadent suburbanites had it all so they get bored and start having affairs.  I had never heard of KEY PARTIES before.
You grow up on the Connecticut gold coast, Frontranger.   ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 10:27:30 am »
No, but I did used to be a "decadent suburbanite" before I got religion Brokeback got me good.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 11:23:25 am »
Lucise did bring up The Ice Storm earlier. That is one Ang Lee film I can't bring myself to see. I think it came out about the same time as American Beauty and it was a film that disturbed me because it hit so close to home. Maybe I should get up my courage to see The Ice Storm. Tell me more about it.

The Ice Storm is not anywhere near as disturbing as A.B.    It's set in the 1970s, in the era of swinging couples and key parties.  The main couple is dealing with infidelity, one kid who is still at home is a shoplifter and also just starting to experiment sexually with boys, and the older kid is mostly away at college, though we do see him as well.  There is some drug use and drinking though nothing explicit.  Also no violence that I can recall except for one accidental death, but it's not graphic.   The people in the film lead hollow lives in the midst of being well-off financially.   It's not until the end that the main family realizes how fortunate they are, comparatively speaking.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 04:05:39 pm »
A lot of good stuff appearing about Ang Lee and his films with the release of Lust, Caution.

Here is a link to a recent article in Time that did a good job of explaining how Ang Lee's movie Hulk fits in with the rest of his oeuvre:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1668225,00.html

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 01:17:55 am »
Here's something interesting.  A new critical edition of "The Ice Storm" is due out on DVD in March, and they're including, among other things like new commentaries from some of the actors, the following:

Audio commentary featuring Lee and producer-screenwriter James Schamus

Footage from an event honoring Lee and Schamus at New York's Museum of the Moving Image

Deleted scenes

If Ang agreed to do this for "The Ice Storm," could there be some hope for an eventual critical editon of BBM?  *Hopes* 
Ich bin ein Brokie...