Author Topic: Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??  (Read 12676 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:53:34 pm »
Answering someone who mentioned the Grand Tetons mountains in the USA where the story is supposed to be, I wonder if those great twins  calledgrand breats
pics were actually in the movie?? Anyone knows??

Am glad that someone mention that Brokeback is supposed to be a part of the Grand Tetons, in the USA!!
I had forgotten that! What a grand place, nature is there!!

A former friend, penpal, lived there; he was gay; he was murdered, unfortunately!!
He was a hunting guide for bears! Even moose came to feed with his horses on his farm/place. I had great photos of that! And those Grand Tetons (french words meaning big tits, right word is grand breasts) are great, as they are two tops beside each other!! Wonder if those were in the movie... I think so... as parts, even if the film was made in Altberta, Canada, which is grand there with the Rockies too!! I have forgotten if he hunted for elk??

Why did Annie include elk?

Are the Grand Tetons in the film??

Answers or guesses, or impressions, welcomed from all!

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:41:51 am »
I can not provide the definitive answer but I will try to start to answer this...

The Bridger-Teton Range of the Rocky Mountains is west of the area where the story is sited. However, in the story, Ennis and Jack visited the Bridger-Tetons during their camping trips. The story takes place first on Brokeback Mountain in the Big Horn Mountains, which are part of the Front Range (from whence my name comes) of the Rocky Mountains. Annie Proulx said it was a made-up place, but I have been to the area where the story is sited and there is a mountain there called Brokenback Mountain. There is a town nearby called TenSleep, which is the model for the town of Signal, where Aguirre's trailer was at the beginning of the film.

Also part of the movie takes place in and around Riverton. This is an actual town east of the Bridger-Tetons in the Wind River Valley. These places are in the central part of Wyoming in which high plateaus, gentle valleys, and spectacular canyons alternate with mountainous regions. Then, there is Lightning Flat, where Jack was born. This is in the way northern part of the state right on the Montana line not far from the eastern border with South Dakota. The movie was shot in Alberta, Canada, but several trips were made to Wyoming to make sure the scenes reflected those areas accurately.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:04:05 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:37 pm »
If you'd like to see pictures of Brokenback Mountain in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, you can see some here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7420.0.html

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:15:12 pm »
Thanks very much Front-Ranger!

I am deeply touched with your pics!

And overwhelmed because my gay pal was killed there... unfortunately (knifed)!!

Am so happy that you communicate !!

Since this is difficult for me, bringing back memories of a good tender gay pal now deceased violently without his will, I have to rest awhile, and continue this later on.

Be assured that I am very happy to have confirmed that there is Brokeback Mountain as my mentioned friend there had said; but others said not after the Brokeback Mountain movie!!

May he rest in peace... but I do not know where he is buried.

See you later....

hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:22:39 pm »
I am so sorry to have caused you such pain. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. Since you don't know where he is buried you might want to think of him as always residing peacefully in Wyoming. When you are ready, I will show you where more pictures are.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:20 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Be assured that it is NOT you that has caused me such pain!!

It is rather the one who killed on purpose my friend because my friend was a gay man, likely that was it;
(likely I say, as another gay friend who was also a penpal to him, and I did think that); or, it was a fit of rage by a straight or another gay man (likely not accepting his homosexuality). I do not know if that case was solved. It was unsolved and likely remains so till to-day. That is one reason why I am touched by the Brokeback Mountain movie or story, you understand, and find that violent killing or death of Jack and of one the OTHER two gay lovers, very hard ! to see!! You understand?? !!

Plus, many other gay men I knew like friends and/ or lovers were also killed by killers!! Even my partner/lover, but a few years ago because he was a gay man and a christian and/or jew! Plus, four tried to kill me, because I am a gay man, having lost my house and nearly my life to those criminals, plus my treasure!! 

So Brokeback Mountain in the USA is for me, a real place, where there is a lost of a pal (there or nearby), plus lost of others in similar situations within the story of Annie and nearly my own life!! The story of Annie, in some ways is brutal, and yet, gives hope for one to live and happily, even as a gay man/gay men!! Am not negative neither to straight men or of other kinds of sexual orientations (bi-sexuals, etc), nor to gays ( I am a gay man)!!

There is much in Annies's story, even some truths. Of course, there is fiction. However, Brokeback Mountain is a real mountain and the Grand Tetons rings for me like hope does beautify!!

Be ever happy to see other photos of Brokeback Mountain!! May I copy them?

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 07:25:48 pm »
I just wanted to make sure you know that Wyoming is the setting of the story, but the mountains you see in the movie are located in Alberta, Canada, where the movie was filmed.

I am going to put some more pictures of Brokenback Mountain in that topic that I directed you to before. In the meantime, here is where you can find other pictures of Wyoming scenes:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6846.0.html

I hope you don't find them too upsetting.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 10:01:22 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Wow, the pics are so very, very, interesting!!

That I want more and more!!

You think some parts of Brokeback Mountain were added in the movie??
Did you see some make-up mountain, how that was made??

Thanks again, hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 10:45:47 am »
Here are some more pictures of Wyoming, and a picture of the Mint Bar in Sheridan that I told you about earlier.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5791.msg113197.html#msg113197

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 03:18:27 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Wow! Wow! That is like heaven there? !! So grand, very majestic!!
No wonder the French-Canadiens I believed call some twins: Grand Tetons!! Was that so??

You must have felt great??

May I ask a few questions:

1. In the pic of the cache things, one thing seems to be a miniature wood horse sculpture,
that is so? Created by whom? One from the movie?? You own this one now?

2. I am an artist and would love to find out where is also the movie one? Do you know?

3. In the pick of Winter sets in, with the creek and two mountains, is that Grand Tetons ones??
They look familiar to the photos my past friend there took for me.

4. You mention Brokenback and not Brokeback, often. I that the real name?
Did Annie change the name?

5. Whom is JFT, if I may know??

Hugs! And thanks again!! Would love to see more... too!!