Author Topic: Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??  (Read 12706 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??
« on: March 21, 2007, 08:53:34 pm »
Answering someone who mentioned the Grand Tetons mountains in the USA where the story is supposed to be, I wonder if those great twins  calledgrand breats
pics were actually in the movie?? Anyone knows??

Am glad that someone mention that Brokeback is supposed to be a part of the Grand Tetons, in the USA!!
I had forgotten that! What a grand place, nature is there!!

A former friend, penpal, lived there; he was gay; he was murdered, unfortunately!!
He was a hunting guide for bears! Even moose came to feed with his horses on his farm/place. I had great photos of that! And those Grand Tetons (french words meaning big tits, right word is grand breasts) are great, as they are two tops beside each other!! Wonder if those were in the movie... I think so... as parts, even if the film was made in Altberta, Canada, which is grand there with the Rockies too!! I have forgotten if he hunted for elk??

Why did Annie include elk?

Are the Grand Tetons in the film??

Answers or guesses, or impressions, welcomed from all!

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Are the Grand Tetons of USA in the Brokeback Mountain film??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:41:51 am »
I can not provide the definitive answer but I will try to start to answer this...

The Bridger-Teton Range of the Rocky Mountains is west of the area where the story is sited. However, in the story, Ennis and Jack visited the Bridger-Tetons during their camping trips. The story takes place first on Brokeback Mountain in the Big Horn Mountains, which are part of the Front Range (from whence my name comes) of the Rocky Mountains. Annie Proulx said it was a made-up place, but I have been to the area where the story is sited and there is a mountain there called Brokenback Mountain. There is a town nearby called TenSleep, which is the model for the town of Signal, where Aguirre's trailer was at the beginning of the film.

Also part of the movie takes place in and around Riverton. This is an actual town east of the Bridger-Tetons in the Wind River Valley. These places are in the central part of Wyoming in which high plateaus, gentle valleys, and spectacular canyons alternate with mountainous regions. Then, there is Lightning Flat, where Jack was born. This is in the way northern part of the state right on the Montana line not far from the eastern border with South Dakota. The movie was shot in Alberta, Canada, but several trips were made to Wyoming to make sure the scenes reflected those areas accurately.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:04:05 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:37 pm »
If you'd like to see pictures of Brokenback Mountain in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, you can see some here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7420.0.html

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:15:12 pm »
Thanks very much Front-Ranger!

I am deeply touched with your pics!

And overwhelmed because my gay pal was killed there... unfortunately (knifed)!!

Am so happy that you communicate !!

Since this is difficult for me, bringing back memories of a good tender gay pal now deceased violently without his will, I have to rest awhile, and continue this later on.

Be assured that I am very happy to have confirmed that there is Brokeback Mountain as my mentioned friend there had said; but others said not after the Brokeback Mountain movie!!

May he rest in peace... but I do not know where he is buried.

See you later....

hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:22:39 pm »
I am so sorry to have caused you such pain. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. Since you don't know where he is buried you might want to think of him as always residing peacefully in Wyoming. When you are ready, I will show you where more pictures are.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:19:20 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

Be assured that it is NOT you that has caused me such pain!!

It is rather the one who killed on purpose my friend because my friend was a gay man, likely that was it;
(likely I say, as another gay friend who was also a penpal to him, and I did think that); or, it was a fit of rage by a straight or another gay man (likely not accepting his homosexuality). I do not know if that case was solved. It was unsolved and likely remains so till to-day. That is one reason why I am touched by the Brokeback Mountain movie or story, you understand, and find that violent killing or death of Jack and of one the OTHER two gay lovers, very hard ! to see!! You understand?? !!

Plus, many other gay men I knew like friends and/ or lovers were also killed by killers!! Even my partner/lover, but a few years ago because he was a gay man and a christian and/or jew! Plus, four tried to kill me, because I am a gay man, having lost my house and nearly my life to those criminals, plus my treasure!! 

So Brokeback Mountain in the USA is for me, a real place, where there is a lost of a pal (there or nearby), plus lost of others in similar situations within the story of Annie and nearly my own life!! The story of Annie, in some ways is brutal, and yet, gives hope for one to live and happily, even as a gay man/gay men!! Am not negative neither to straight men or of other kinds of sexual orientations (bi-sexuals, etc), nor to gays ( I am a gay man)!!

There is much in Annies's story, even some truths. Of course, there is fiction. However, Brokeback Mountain is a real mountain and the Grand Tetons rings for me like hope does beautify!!

Be ever happy to see other photos of Brokeback Mountain!! May I copy them?

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 07:25:48 pm »
I just wanted to make sure you know that Wyoming is the setting of the story, but the mountains you see in the movie are located in Alberta, Canada, where the movie was filmed.

I am going to put some more pictures of Brokenback Mountain in that topic that I directed you to before. In the meantime, here is where you can find other pictures of Wyoming scenes:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6846.0.html

I hope you don't find them too upsetting.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 10:01:22 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Wow, the pics are so very, very, interesting!!

That I want more and more!!

You think some parts of Brokeback Mountain were added in the movie??
Did you see some make-up mountain, how that was made??

Thanks again, hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 10:45:47 am »
Here are some more pictures of Wyoming, and a picture of the Mint Bar in Sheridan that I told you about earlier.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5791.msg113197.html#msg113197

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 03:18:27 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Wow! Wow! That is like heaven there? !! So grand, very majestic!!
No wonder the French-Canadiens I believed call some twins: Grand Tetons!! Was that so??

You must have felt great??

May I ask a few questions:

1. In the pic of the cache things, one thing seems to be a miniature wood horse sculpture,
that is so? Created by whom? One from the movie?? You own this one now?

2. I am an artist and would love to find out where is also the movie one? Do you know?

3. In the pick of Winter sets in, with the creek and two mountains, is that Grand Tetons ones??
They look familiar to the photos my past friend there took for me.

4. You mention Brokenback and not Brokeback, often. I that the real name?
Did Annie change the name?

5. Whom is JFT, if I may know??

Hugs! And thanks again!! Would love to see more... too!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 04:23:23 pm »
Hey, Artiste, I love your questions! Here is my pitiful attempt at answering.

1. The small horse that is in the cache is a treasure that I've heard was contributed by Sashca of this board, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can provide a better answer. I do not own anything in the cache, it resides safely on top of Brokenback Mountain, to be shared with anyone who wishes to make a pilgrimage there.

2. The movie horse belongs to our member Adrian (formerly adrian.delmar). I have had the pleasure of meeting this horse in person at the Wonder Bar in Casper, Wyoming. It is being well cared for. It's quite an interesting piece. A very stocky horse that reminds me of the Trojan Horse. It is covered with lovely little whittle marks. Adrian also has the knife that Heath Ledger used, and they are kept always together.

3. Those pictures were taken in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming, not the Grand Tetons.

4. The actual mountain is named Brokenback Mountain. It is impossible to ask Annie Proulx if she changed the name of the mountain because she insists that there is no Brokeback Mountain. In the story, though, she placed it in the same place as the real Brokenback Mountain.

5. JFT is Jack Fuckin Twist...what Ennis called his friend.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 06:53:39 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Boy, you sure know how to please a man!!
Love your smile too!!

Your answers are great!! I am very thankful!!

1. It is great that all can seek the cache - that is truly a gay spirit and action!!

2. Cache: (French word you know?)!!
I am surprised as well as happy that you use that word!! Why?? Are you of French-Canadien stock like Annie??

Will answer other later... because my back is killing me right now.

Again thanks for making me smile to your content!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 07:44:52 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Boy, you sure know how to please a man!!
Love your smile too!!

Your answers are great!! I am very thankful!!

...Are you of French-Canadien stock like Annie??

Will answer other later... because my back is killing me right now.

Hugs!!

<blush> Why thank you, Artiste! <kicks dirt with cowboy boot> Aw shucks!!

By smile, I think you mean the smile I had when I was holding the cache and the whiskey bottle on top of Brokenback Mountain! There is a funny story associated with that! I can't tell you all of it,  ::) but, first I poured out some of the Maker Makes (we changed the label of the Maker's Mark whiskey bottle) to annoint the mountain in honour of John and Phillip's anniversaire. And, then I was saving some back because I wanted to drink it. But EDelMar said, "Pour it all out!" So, I did. Then when he was taking a picture of me with the cache, he kept saying "Get lower!!" until I was almost touching the snow with my cheeks!! And laughing my head off!! Not to mention me being totally out of my head with happiness at being there (and having survived the long trip in near-zero weather!!)

Cache is the word universally used for the type of collection that is there...it's in a metal box with instructions on the top, and there is a guest book. It's nice to have a picture, but it can't come close to the experience of having been there!! No, I'm far from being French Canadian. But, did you know that Annie Proulx is French-Canuck? Mais oui!!

I would like to come give you a backrub so you can chat with me some more! C'mere, s'alright...s'alright...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 07:28:59 pm »
Artiste, there are some pictures of Devil's Tower in Wyoming here if you're interested.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7433.0.html

It is not mentioned in the story or the movie, so this may be off topic. However, Devil's Tower can just barely be seen from the family plot up near Lightning Flat!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 08:34:19 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

You do not know that some of your expressions made me smile!! Happily!! Whit and without your boots on!!

And I could not help to continue being happy too with this which made me laugh gladly:
I would like to come give you a backrub so you can chat with me some more! C'mere, s'alright...s'alright...

A backrub in the snow top of Brokenback Mountain??

Yes, I know that Annie is from French-Canadienne stock!!

Did you know that some of her relatives started a place or town??... or were in Wyoming, I think it was??

Keep on smiling stud... one day I will polish your boots??

Want to hear more of your jokes and see more photos of Brokenback Mountain trip you did and those stories too...

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 08:36:14 pm »
Which family plot?? Front-Ranger??

What is that about??

Is that in Annie's story??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!
You're welcome! Anytime!
You do not know that some of your expressions made me smile!! Happily!! Whit and without your boots on!!

My new cowboy boots? Hope you saw them and liked them!

A backrub in the snow top of Brokenback Mountain??

No, silly! After climbing the mountain!!
smiling stud... one day I will polish your boots??
Actually, I never want to polish them...I want them to get all nice and burnished.

Hugs back!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 03:35:50 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

That is funny, your comments above!! You made smile and laugh again, and again!!
You made my day cowgirl!!

(Just came back from the lake, from my walk with mother's dog. On the way, one of my mother's neighbours drove by. I went then to his place, and I asked him to come walk with me. There, at the lake, he introduced me to a lady whom I had went to school with. That was so nice!! I did not recognized her, nor still do, unfortunately, even if we talked for over an hour!! She mentioned many, many whom we had went to school with; she knows the names, but I do not!! Ever since those 4 who tried to kill me all at once, I still have memory problems galore!! I want my memory back, is that possible?? She recongnized me right away, even if I saw her over 50 years ago about!! So you understand why in more than one way I am attached to the Brokeback Mountain story of Annie??)

Are the Grand-Tetons of USA in the Brokeback film??

Before I forget, may I re-ask this:
Which family plot?? Front-Ranger??

What is that about??

Is that in Annie's story??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:12 pm »
That was a bittersweet story about the lady at the lake, Artiste. Hopefully you are now ready to regain your memory of your earlier days. I myself was "dead" to the world for 12 years, just earning a paycheck and raising my children, but not feeling anything. Seeing Brokeback Mountain "woke me up" and now I want to make up for lost time! About the family plot...in the story and movie, Jack's father tells Ennis that Jack's ashes will be buried in "the family plot." In the story, Ennis actually drives by the family plot after leaving Lightning Flat and Jack's parents.

In real life, I have visited a small cemetary twice that is south of the site of Lightning Flat. We affectionately call it The Family Plot but its real name is Stonypoint Cemetary.

If you go here: http://brokeback2007.com/events/essay.html you can read an essay I wrote about the visit to the family plot and see pictures of it.

Hugs back!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 04:52:12 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

I will check that! That is colourful that you think and name, and see such a family plot, in that real world, as you say!! Did you find out about those buried there?? At Lightning Flat (Stonypoint Cemetary)!! One you call as Family Plot!! Many buried there, or is it like 3 or 4??

If Annie's story is real possibly or like one, where could that family plot be that Ennis saw??

Hugs!!

Note: Talking about family plots, I have real photos of one of a family I know, if you would be interested.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 05:52:32 pm »
so far as I know the only use of the Tetons was in the advertising, the film was shot in Alberta.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 06:44:25 pm »
Thanks brokenbackjack!!

So the Grand Tetons were used only in advertising and not in the film, maybe.

Which advertising?

Hugs!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 03:12:03 am »
Annie says she had heard of Brokenback but not been there, the name sounded ominous and she made it more ominous by taking the N out.

The photos of the Tetons were used in the famous film poster at Ang Lee's insistence.

Personally I disbelieve  the published explanation regarding the genesis of the particular story called BBM, but that is "nobody's business but mine." End discussion.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 12:07:05 pm »
Thanks brokebackjack!!

Your comments are very interesting to me.
May I ask you 3 or 4 questions to your comments??

You say and comment this: Annie says she had heard of Brokenback but not been there, the name sounded ominous and she made it more ominous by taking the N out.

I agree with Annie and you!! To me, somehow, had Annie used Brokenback, then that was too difficult for her story! Here is my thought of the beggining of her story: Ennis' back was broken already by his father... in many ways. But in some ways, so was Jack's back broken too. There is, fortunately, there and then room for her to start and continue the story, even if both of these guys back's were broken somewhat already, they are still alive!! The opposite of alive is dead, unfortunately! So continuing her story, she did so in the present tense mostly thank goodness, (for many reasons) as she tried to have Ennis still live...but Jack will eventually live in Ennis's memory only... at the end. Before, the end, there is stuggle as well as love between the two (Ennis and Jack), but there is also strong society (of love as well as hate) which is another battle. So for some of these reason and others, Annie could NOT have used the word Brokenback!! I say. I could say much more... as secrets.

Why do you think Annie still made it omimous as you use that word?? As this is indeed important to me, I will regard your answer(s) as very important!! May I dwell on this as a subject?

I will ask the other questions later, OK? Remind me. Please remind me, if I forget.

Awaiting your thoughts,

hugs!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 02:59:04 pm »
Artiste, I believe she recognized the 'ominous' sound of 'brokeback' in English....as in what happened on the mountain when they left it eventually violently broke them, broke their spirits, broke their backs.

It does have an ominous sound to it, doesn't it? A perfect name for a film/book about rural homophobia. You need to read it. It is brilliant, written as a series of flashbacks; the Prologue tells us the tale is over before the story starts...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 09:39:20 pm »
Thanks brokeback jack!!

I find your description brilliant!! Very beautiful! As Annie's story is amazing!!
You share the sound with me of words, emotions, etc., like Ennis and Jack did with the mouthpiece??

Talking about perspectives, about the word brokenback or brokeback, either way, Annie's story shines...
as she breaks our backs too!! As we survive life... and the film/story too!! Annie gets us ready... for a better life?? WE, gay men, and society, must protect ourselves... as violence is present, could be and might become worst??

Indeed I consider Ennis and Jack in the state of brokenness (in the state of being broken)
at the mountain the  first time Ennis and Jack are there, and all other times up there afterwards; plus, all other occassions down!!

Brokeback is therefore the brilliant word, Annie uses with valuable information!!

Even Ennis is more and more speaking in an brokenly manner, wow wow!! Plus, jack becomes more so too, it seems?? Yes in an broken interrupted manner?? What do you think?

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 09:45:44 pm »
There is a discussion about this that you might enjoy reading, it's at

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1154.0.html

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 11:49:13 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Thanks for mentioning that! Wow, wonderful!!

Guess much more can be said?

Hugs!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 10:07:14 am »
That is for sure, Artiste. This ain't no little thing we got going on here.  :)

As long as we can ride 'em.  :D

There ain't no reins on this one.  ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 10:08:39 am »
By the way, I learned from my FRiend EDelMar that on a clear day you CAN see the Tetons from the summit of Brokenback Mountain.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2007, 10:44:57 am »
Thanks Front-Ranger!!

Wow, wow, would love to see those Grand-Tetons!!

And since my penpal friend was murdered there because he was/is a gay man, may he rest in pease this 2007 Easter!!

(And Annie if you read this, you could research his life?)

Hugs!!