Author Topic: Master and Commander  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Master and Commander
« on: March 24, 2007, 11:13:56 am »
I watched Russell Crowe's Master and Commander last night and was quite impressed. That is an amazing story and the detail is amazing as well. The dynamics betwixt the crew members and the whole sailing culture of the time is like looking into another world all together. And who knew Russell Crowe could sing?

Still, I don't understand why those long stemmed wine glasses didn't tip over on the rolling sea. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Master and Commander
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:38:33 am »
Production error! They mustve had tankards!! From that movie I remember his great relationship with the doctor, how they played duets together, and Crowe was surprisingly good at the violin.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 11:42:15 am »
I loved the bugs in the food, the on-deck brain surgery, the kid who had to learn to write left-handed. It's amazing how tough people were back then.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 02:51:26 pm »
I saw 'Master and Commander' at the theater when it first came out.  I went because I love the period, the culture, Peter Weir was directing and Russell Crowe was leading man.  Can't get much better than that.  Weir is a stickler for detail and I have a lot of respect for directors/producers who want to do a period piece as accurately as they can.

I own the DVD.  One of the almost ridiculously minute details it mentions - one that goes by in seconds in the movie and you wouldn't even know as a casual viewer - is that Russell Crowe fights with two swords in one scene.  The other sword is - as I recall - a sword he would have had at a much earlier stage of his character's career/life and that he merely uses out of nostalgia.  It's a personal quirk, in other words, but the producers of the movie made sure the sword was an accurate piece and you don't even get a good look at it in the fight scene!

Love this movie.  ;D

I enjoyed the movie immensely, didn't miss the fact that there were no women in it at all.  The emotional relationships of the story were between the men.  :) 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:35:38 pm »
I'm glad to find some others here who enjoy Master and Commander8)   Have any of you read the books it's based on by Patrick O'Brian?  In the last couple of years I read all twenty of them and just loved them.  The movie was an affectionate, beautifully detailed tribute to those stories, I thought.

There's talk of a possible sequel in the works, which would be great.  I've heard that Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany agreed to do one if it materialized.  "The Far Side of the World" combined a number of incidents that were in different books in the series, but there are plenty left to draw on.  Besides being a naturalist, the Doctor is an accomplished secret agent for the British government.  I'd love to see them include the time that Jack had to mount a secret operation to save Stephen from being tortured in a French prison on Majorca.  They also sailed on missions to India, Indonesia, Botany Bay and the Antarctic.  Great stuff.

I own the DVD.  One of the almost ridiculously minute details it mentions - one that goes by in seconds in the movie and you wouldn't even know as a casual viewer - is that Russell Crowe fights with two swords in one scene.  The other sword is - as I recall - a sword he would have had at a much earlier stage of his character's career/life and that he merely uses out of nostalgia.  It's a personal quirk, in other words, but the producers of the movie made sure the sword was an accurate piece and you don't even get a good look at it in the fight scene!

Some more of many details that readers of the series would notice:  Russell Crowe's ear is all scarred up because Aubrey was wounded in one of the books; Pullings has a sword scar on his face for the same reason.  I think I remember the Doctor massaging his hands before playing the cello:  in the French prison he had had his fingers broken.  :'(  Also, Aubrey wears a diamond chelyngk on his hat that he received from a Turkish pasha.  You also see him writing to his wife, Sophie, who figures in a number of the novels.  8)

I enjoyed the movie immensely, didn't miss the fact that there were no women in it at all.  The emotional relationships of the story were between the men.  :) 

I think that's the secret of Peter Weir's success, that he was able to get the friendship between Aubrey and Maturin right, as well as the love and loyalty that the crew feel for both of them.  And, of course, it's just a beautifully atmospheric film.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 01:41:48 am »
I LOVE Master and Commander! I loved the movie so much I ended up buying the DVD!

I really enjoyed the music. The movie featured "The Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G" by J.S. Bach which is one of my favorites to play on the cello.

I also love to play Concerto Grosso Op. 6 by Corelli on the violin; another work featured in the movie.

The film is well acted and the scenery is spectacular.

I love any movie about those large wooden sailing ships of the past. If you enjoyed "Master and Commander" you might also like "The Bounty" with Mel Gibson.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 01:45:18 am »
The movie featured "The Unaccompanied Cello Suite No. 1 in G" by J.S. Bach which is one of my favorites to play on the cello.

I also love to play Concerto Grosso Op. 6 by Corelli on the violin; another work featured in the movie.

Wow, David, I am so out of it I didn't even know you played cello and violin!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 01:48:16 am »
Wow, David, I am so out of it I didn't even know you played cello and violin!

Yeah Katherine, I've played the cello since I was 10 and the violin and piano since I was 8.  :D

I guess I'm one of those "music geeks"!  ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:29:28 pm »
I think that's the secret of Peter Weir's success, that he was able to get the friendship between Aubrey and Maturin right

Yeah, my dirty little slashy mind came up with all kinds of scenarios for their 'friendship'.  :-* :-*

Another little tidbit I liked.  When Aubrey is helping with the operation - you guys know what part I'm talking about - if you have DVD, slow mo through the scene and watch Russell Crowe's face.  The myriad of tiny expressions on his face flow by, a very convincing scene of a man trying to keep his yuck reaction to himself.  The man is a very physical actor.  He acts with his entire body.  Wonderful.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:29:58 pm »
Gee, if it's that good, I guess it's about time I unwrapped the DVD and actually watched it!  :laugh:

There's this other movie starring another Aussie kinda keeps getting in the way. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.