Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 48298 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 10:49:27 pm »
I was raised in the Presbyterian church and lost my faith when I too couldn't reconcile what happened in the world, nearby or far away, with those tragedies being the result of God's will. Was agnostic/atheist for years, and now...

Humanist in regards to morality.

I clicked pagan because that seems to be the closest.  When I'm hiking in the hills or mountains that's when I feel what apparently I was supposed to feel going to church growing up, and never did -  peace and joy, connectedness, being in the presence of something greater than myself.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 12:03:47 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 12:10:10 am »
I have a lot of time for the Quakers, and if I were a christian, that's the only kind I could be. Very thoughtful people. I like "Walk cheerfully in the world, seeking that of God in every one." The "Inner Light" is the same thing. (And my grandmother used to quote "the Kingdom of Heaven is within you" and conclude that the kingdom of Hell is too: ie we are rewarded and punished for our deeds by what they do to our selves.)

But in the US, a branch of the Quakers has gone back to conservative christianity, the branch with churches, ordained ministers and set liturgy. That's the branch Nixon belonged to. The branch with meeting houses, every member a minister and silent Meetings for Worship until someone is moved to speak, is the branch I think of as Quaker.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 06:06:23 am »
Catholic by splash only.  My favourite religious lesson at school was when Ian McCray stood to read from the bible and read 'blahsomethingblah...go forth, and he came fifth and won a tea pot'.  Never having heard this before I PML so hard I was banned from religion for a month and Ian and I became friends while attending detention over this period.  It was then I realised that Religion really does bring people together.  Now, however I have my own spirituality and it does not involve punishing people for diversity, and it is not based in fear.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 04:56:02 pm by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 09:48:09 am »
I'm Catholic, but my faith is stronger than my religion. I often find myself angry with my church because they can be a bunch of hypocrites (an example is one time my catechism teacher gave us a lesson in which she said "Do not judge other people..." and five lines later said "...But all other religions are wrong, Catholic is the only way").

I try to follow what I believe to be God's teachings through Catholicism but the thing that most often sticks with me is "Do not judge other people".
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 12:28:56 pm »
I have a lot of time for the Quakers, and if I were a christian, that's the only kind I could be. Very thoughtful people. I like "Walk cheerfully in the world, seeking that of God in every one." The "Inner Light" is the same thing. (And my grandmother used to quote "the Kingdom of Heaven is within you" and conclude that the kingdom of Hell is too: ie we are rewarded and punished for our deeds by what they do to our selves.)

But in the US, a branch of the Quakers has gone back to conservative christianity, the branch with churches, ordained ministers and set liturgy. That's the branch Nixon belonged to. The branch with meeting houses, every member a minister and silent Meetings for Worship until someone is moved to speak, is the branch I think of as Quaker.

The Quakers are also very big on the Peace Testimony and social justice.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 01:50:54 pm »
I had no religious upbringing whatsoever, for which I am now thankful. Oh, except I was baptized because everyone else in the family is religious (catholic), and my parents gave in to that.
 I have a real problem with organised churches or cults, and a problem with the idea of there being a god. I have always been an atheist, agnostic at best sometimes, but I picked "Buddhist" because I wanted to say which sort of spirituality I'd be closest to. I have started reading about it, and I love it! Hey, there's no god to bow to, and no judgement of people or actions such as 'this is RIGHT, this is WRONG'; the only criteria is: 'does this make me and others suffer?' If it does, best seems to get to learn how to avoid it, that's 'all'!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 02:38:07 pm »
I've been interested in Buddism for a little while, because from what I've heard (I haven't looked into it that much yet) it does agree with a lot of the things I believe in (like Isabelle said, lack of judgement). A friend of mine wants me to go on a buddist retreat with him and I'm excited about it.

I will however, probably, always believe in God (or a God). There has to be something there. And I am often surprised by the beauty of faith.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 03:09:41 pm »
And DEL, I've been a feminist from day one too. Which is why religions in general make me run away (helter skelter style), because none is really cool with women. Buddhism apart, but it's more a philosophical sort of spirituality than religion. Or else I don't know enough about it yet.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 06:21:27 pm »
I clicked pagan because that seems to be the closest.  When I'm hiking in the hills or mountains that's when I feel what apparently I was supposed to feel going to church growing up, and never did -  peace and joy, connectedness, being in the presence of something greater than myself.

Hmmmmm.  I'm with you on that, Fernly.  I've only ever felt that oneness and reverence alone in nature, myself.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 06:38:23 pm »
Isabelle,

And DEL, I've been a feminist from day one too.  Which is why religions in general make me run away (helter skelter style), because none is really cool with women.

Which is why I went neo-pagan.  Nothing like taking a non-dogmatic ancient religion and bringing it into the 21st century.

Buddhism apart, but it's more a philosophical sort of spirituality than religion. Or else I don't know enough about it yet.

I read a nasty quote from the Buddha about women once, but I couldn't trace the source, so I can't say if Buddhism is basically good for women or not.

A friend of mine is very feminist as well, brought up in a Catholic school and she shopped around for a religion.  She thought the B'hai B'hai were pretty good, but apparently they were only pro-women on paper and not in actual practice.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 06:40:37 pm by delalluvia »