Author Topic: What is your religion?  (Read 48844 times)

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
Re: What is your religion?
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2006, 06:58:48 pm »
I was raised Baptist, and although Baptists have many distinctions; some are more liberal, while others belong to specific associations; for example, American Baptist, etc.,  all are not kind toward gays. I found the worst to be the fundamentalist/independent sect which take the Bible literally (when it suits them).  I became so consumed by guilt, and later disgust, that I got out while I could still run. Since then, my spiritual life is, sadly, non-existent. Are they are denominations that welcome gays?  Thanks.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2006, 06:58:57 pm »
So who am I to say that one thing is more probable and another isn't?  No one has unequivocal proof either way, after all.

OK, try this one then (again, I hope it's not completely known and has been since the onst of humanity round your end, and I thought this was the right place for it  ::)):

It's official: Jesus was Irish

* He had 12 drinking friends
* He trained as a carpenter to work on the buildings
* He was unemployed
* He lived with his mother till he was 33
* He thought his mother was a virgin
* His mother thought he was God

Found this in Ireland. So it's official: The Irish have humour.

Hey, now - as an Irish American (sort of - by descent, anyway), I resemble these remarks!
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2006, 07:04:04 pm »
I was raised Baptist, and although Baptists have many distinctions; some are more liberal, while others belong to specific associations; for example, American Baptist, etc.,  all are not kind toward gays. I found the worst to be the fundamentalist/independent sect which take the Bible literally (when it suits them).  I became so consumed by guilt, and later disgust, that I got out while I could still run. Since then, my spiritual life is, sadly, non-existent. Are they are denominations that welcome gays?  Thanks.

A gay man I know is an ex-Southern Baptist.  He said the sect his family was in was like that Footloose town - they actually thought dancing was a sin.  He's been attending a Methodist church for a while that welcomes (or that at least doesn't exclude) gays.  But he says he doesn't like it because they always make him feel like he owes them something - more of his money or more of his time than he can give.  A friend of mine in California works at a Unitarian Universalist church whose pastor is a lesbian and that is obviously very welcoming of gays.  Often it's not the denomination but the leadership of the particular church, at least so far as I've heard.
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2006, 07:30:40 pm »
Honey, I don't think you're the least bit ignorant (I know that's not quite what you meant, but humor me :)).  The fact that you're posting here speaks volumes for your lack of ignorance, actually.  And I don't think what I believe is the only possibility and that everyone else is wrong.  Actually one of my mantras is that anything is possible.  So who am I to say that one thing is more probable and another isn't?  No one has unequivocal proof either way, after all.

In a very real way, we're all ignorant - it's the point of the word faith.  Back in my religious ed days in high-school, the best lesson I remember actually came from one of the science teachers who said: "as rational beings we know that we came from our parents, they from theirs, and so on.  We talk about evolution as the mechanism that leads to our humanity, and the big bang being the beginning of the universe.  What we find difficult to talk about however is what created the big bang.  That unknown, he said, is God".  Now to a 15 year old this was a real wow experience, and I've always been amazed that so many see science and spirituality as opposite ends of the spectrum when in my mind they are really one and the same.  A famous quote by Albert Einstein was: "There are two kinds of people in the world.  Those that do not believe in miracles and those that believe everything is a miracle".

Now the two groups that just amaze the hell out of me (pun intended) are the fundamentalist Christians and the splinter group of "intelligent designers".  The problem with these groups is they feel the need to believe that the Christian Bible is word-for-word literal and true.  When I went to Sunday school it was always talked about the Bible as a book of parables to be used as lessons for life.  So when did it become true exactly, and why does it have to be true in order for the lessons to work?  This to me is the fundamental problem (another pun) with religions generally, and why religion is so inaccessible to most people.  So they have a book that says God hates me because I'm gay?  Well gee, I thought you told me that God made me in his image?  Make up your mind.  Strangely, I don't feel like God hates me.  I wonder what's in it for these people to say that he does?

I find it sad that religion hasn't really progress much past the inquisition days.  All this hatred and condemnation and accusations about how others live their lives on a day to day basis just snaps my brain, being the exact opposite of all religious texts in the first place.  Religion and religious doctrine is the creation of humans, and in my mind, the most evil thing that humans have come up with.  This is what John Lennon meant when he suggested "imagine... no religion too".  I dream of a day without religion, where all people take personal responsibility for everything they do, and none for everyone else.  Once this happens, and only then, will religion have served its purpose.

My religion: Believe in a higher power, but not in organized religion of any kind
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 04:38:18 am by Aussie Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2006, 07:38:55 pm »
Born into a conservative Catholic family....not real active but I guess I'm Catholic...

Offline iheartBBM

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Harold Ramis Forever
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2006, 12:53:00 am »

Why does it have to be true in order for the lessons to work? 

Exactly.  Luckily I have a pretty liberal New Testament professor (I'm a religion major in college) and he said something very much like that.

I guess I'm just way too sensitive about stuff, but I hate the bad rap that religion has in our culture today.  I hate the way Christian fundamentalists pervert it to suit their own agenda, and I hate the way a lot of people end up getting the message that all religion or all Christianity is unaccepting and wrathful and end up being turned off of it completely. 

I know I'm not the only liberal gay-affirming Christian in the world, but sometimes I feel like I am because of the way the "Religious Right" is so prevalent and they act like they are representatives of all Christianity... shit it pisses me off.

But I can only hope that, since I intend to go into the priesthood and to continue working for the gay rights movement (I'm the secretary of my college's GLBT organization), maybe my life will make some small contribution towards making this a better world for gay Christians and indeed for all gay people, be they people of faith or not.

Haha sorry.  Done ranting. LOL.
STRAIGHT but not NARROW

CHRISTIAN but not HOMOPHOBIC

:) :) :) :)

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2006, 01:10:14 am »
Oh I dont know which box to tick.....

I am Roman Catholic ...raised so and I hold the beliefs now...spent time in the pursuit of a religious life part trained by an Italian  order plus the Franciscans  and Benedictines...

they thought me lots about theology, philosophy, ethics and human rights...not as closed minded as alot of people think...

the close minded ones are just louder...

But I also practice Zen Buddhism....been vegetarian all my life...and hold the issue of the rights and regard for all living creatures very close to my heart....

so I would say....Catholic Zen Buddhist..... ::) ::) ::)

hugs
kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2006, 01:22:29 am »

Back in my religious ed days in high-school, the best lesson I remember came from one of the science teachers who said: "as rational beings we know that we came from our parents, they from theirs, and so on.  We talk about evolution as the mechanism that leads to our humanity, and the big bang being the beginning of the universe.  What we find difficult to talk about however is what created the big bang.  That unknown, he said, is God".  Now to a 15 year old was a real wow experience, and I've always been amazed that so many see science and spirituality as opposite ends of the spectrum when in my mind they are really one and the same.  A famous quote by Albert Einstein was: "There are two kinds of people in the world.  Those that do not believe in miracles and those that believe everything is a miracle".

Great post Aussie!

My favorite quote by one of my college professors (atheist) kinda goes against your science teacher's.

"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end of divine things."

-- Hippocrates

Offline iheartBBM

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • Harold Ramis Forever
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

"Men think epilepsy divine, merely because they do not understand it. But if they called everything divine which they do not understand, why, there would be no end of divine things."

-- Hippocrates

Unfortunately, I think the opposite of this is what happens these days... people call everything "sinful" which they do not understand.
STRAIGHT but not NARROW

CHRISTIAN but not HOMOPHOBIC

:) :) :) :)

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2006, 05:56:55 am »
Aussie Chris, that was a really brilliant post!

Now the two groups that just amaze the hell out of me (pun intended) are the fundamentalist Christians and the splinter group of "intelligent designers".  The problem with these groups is they feel the need to believe that the Christian Bible is word-for-word literal and true.  When I went to Sunday school it was always talked about the Bible as a book of parables to be used as lessons for life.  So when did it become true exactly, and why does it have to be true in order for the lessons to work?  This to me is the fundamental problem (another pun) with religions generally, and why religion is so inaccessible to most people.  So they have a book that says God hates me because I'm gay?  Well gee, I thought you told me that God made me in his image?  Make up your mind.  Strangely, I don't feel like God hates me.  I wonder what's in it for these people to say that he does?

What bugs me is the translation of the book, both into other languages from Ancient Greek and into it's meanings. Like any good piece of literature, a story can be taken to mean different things in different ways. So therefore, I believe the bible to mean something different to every person (with the basic outline remaining in tact) but the church only want you to believe it the way they have deciphered it. Once again judging...
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!