Author Topic: Cats, cats, cats, stories...??  (Read 20156 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Cats, cats, cats, stories...??
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:21:15 pm »
As I said to someone, I was never so much for cats.

Until something happened.

You want to know about cats?? My stories??

I want to know yours....

awaiting your news,

hugs!!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Re: Cats, cats, cats, stories...??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:29:51 pm »
I have three cats - Pepper, Max, and Mamadu!

There are two cats that live on the farm that aren't mine, I call them Kitten and Boyfriend!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:43:02 pm »
Thanks injest!!

First of all, what is cryptic?? As I can NOT find it in my dictionnary for tanslation!!

Please, give my sample as when I was cryptic, as you say I was that before??

Just guessing that word cryptic could be I like your cat's name: Crybaby?? As that is the next word in my dictionnary!!

Tell me stories of your cats!! One??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:45:14 pm »
That must be nice to have such a family like of cats notBastet!!

You have a story/stories??

Thanks,

hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:36:54 pm »
No cat stories from anyone?

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:08:47 pm »
I don't have anything specific to say but I think that every loved cat (or any pet) has a story. We still talk about our cats and pets even ones that have been gone for many years.

Right now I only have one older kitty. She's a crazy little calico and as long as she is with me, I canl not have any other cats. (unless a stray came along, than I would try to make it work)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »
Thanks Wishes!!

Only at one of my residences did I have cats. Never thought I would!

One day, it seems like a stray cat came around... like some used to do so. But this one was not. She had a leg nearly cut of, at least to the knee! She was new here! So, I knew having lived on ranch and/or farm in my youth or my friend told me, that she came to die. I did not want her to past away! She was beautiiful and intelligent... indeed I found that out later. I placed food for her... but she refused as usually they do not eat! So my friend said try, and try to feed her; he tried patiently too. We left food... and we saw eventually she did eat. She stayed in the garage entering and leaving as she wanted. The neighbour was bad with killer dogs... who even tried to kill me and her. She saved my live, more than once. I saved her too by placing my truck close by for her to hide if she needed too do so. And left a small hole for her only to enter the garage attached to the house.

Winters, I left her pillows in the garage. Each year, she had kittens, so beautiful and intelligent like her.

Years after, she passed away, I guessed. I still miss her. Pray she is in peace. She saved my life many times from criminals!!!

This is a real story. You have a story?

Pray it helps...

hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 11:18:38 am »
Thanks injest!

Good story! It is a wonder as to why certain cats run like that!

As certain humansdo that too!! Not only as a child or youth, even as an adult!
I remember an adult on a bicycle. He slammed at high speed into my truck. He said to me: I knew having seen your truck there, and I do not know why I did slam into it, as I could have easily avoided that!!
Last year, there is a young man who was on his snowmobile he used on the lake behind here, and he slam in high speed into his truck killing himself right away!! He knew his truck was there, as he had placed it!!
May I blame TV as too many killings gratuitous and ceaseless in the movies as if it's OK for those actions that too many women and men do to-day??

Oh, as I had asked you injest what is cryptic, may I re-ask you to do so; plus a sample as to how I do that!!

Hugs!

Any other cat stories injest and everyone??

Love 'em!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 04:00:20 pm »
I had a cat that would play a game with me. He would run very fast through the house....over the couch, over my husbands chair, across the coffee table, down the hall and into the bathroom; where he would jump into the bathtub and wait for me to come in so he could jump high in the air with his legs all extended to 'scare' me and then he would run away....

one day he started his round right after I had got out of the tub; I tried to cut him off but he dodged around me and dashed into the bathroom, JUMPED up into the air to get in the tub...looked down....saw that the tub was still full of water....it was JUST like a cartoon...he practically stopped in midair, turning completely around and landed hiney first and took off. (I tried not to laugh but it was hilarious) He wouldnt speak to me for days

He didn't do this again for a couple of weeks....then one day he did...running 90 miles an hour thru the house, got to the bathroom and remembered what had happened the last time, and tried to stop. Well the bathroom floor is a little slick and when he slammed on the brakes, he slid across the room and WHAM into the side of the tub. (well I TRIED not to laugh again but come on...)

:laugh: :laugh:

GREAT story, Jess, and beautifully told.  :)  I had a beloved little Siamese named Lucy who would do something similar:  She and my (then)husband used to play a sort of hide and seek, where he would go and crouch behind the couch, or the coffee table, and then she would come sauntering around the side of it, and when they made eye contact, she would raise up on her back paws, and lift her little front paws wide and high in the air like a micro-polar bear.  (Then) husband would do it too - he would rear up on his knees and lift his arms up in the air in front of her, like they were doing giant greetings with each other. 

Then she would run off one way, and he would run the other and "hide" again (it was a tiny apartment, and she always knew where he was).  Then she would come walking around the corner of the piece of furniture and when they made eye contact, they would both raise up like polar bears, and the game would continue.  She had the funniest sense fo humor of any cat I have known.

Lucy and I had a game too - when I would come home, I would leave the front door open, but the screen door would be closed.  I would go right to the living room couch and lay down.  Lucy would be outside somewhere roaming around, but when she heard me come home, she would dash across the yard, pull the screen door open quickly with a practiced flick of one claw, and come speeding in and land right on my chest on the couch, where we would have an enthusiastic reunion.  She was one of the best cats ever, ever, ever. 

I wish I didn't have to tell the sad part of her story - one Christmas, when we were away for a few days, my (then)husband's sister was supposed to stay at our house to cat sit.  Well, turns out she didn't.  >:(  She just came a couple of times and threw food down for Lucy.  Anyway, on Christmas Eve, Lucy was hit by a car and died, on the road outside our property.  She had never been out on that road before, as far as I knew.  It was a couple of minutes walk from the house.  I think she was out looking for us.  :(  She was still only about two years old.

One more story - when she was still very young, we had a table lamp that had this sort of bowl that wrapped around the base of the lamp.  Lucy would carefully get up into it, and then melt from the warnth of the lamp into a perfect circle that filled the entire bowl, head twisted under, nose to tail tip, just a limp puddle of melted cat.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:19:24 pm »
Artiste, That was a nice story. Stray cats are always special because they come to us and needed us. Our most special stray was Brandy. We got her when I was in high school. She was half wild, very very thin and only had one eye. Of coarse we never knew how she lost her eye and the vet could not guess either. She died on my parents couch of old age.

My girl I lost two years ago to old age/kidney failure was also a stray. She was not quite a year and I made an indoor cat out of her and she never once tried to get outside. I guess she was happy to have a home.  :)

Ellemeno, I'm so sorry to hear how you lost your kitty. Makes me sick. I have to say that the only other people I would give any of my cats to would be my parents. I would not even give them to my brother. Not that he would mistreat but he wouldn't give them the care I do. When I'm too old and there would not be anyone else to take my cats/pets when I'm gone, than I would want them put to sleep. A friend of my parents has actually put this in writing regarding her pets. I keep my cats strictly indoors.

moremojo

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:33:43 pm »
I've long been a cat person, and currently enjoy the company of three adorable felines in the home I share with my sister. Their names are Chelsea, Smooch, and Zoot; all are female and have been spayed.

Perhaps the most interesting cat story I could share would be in relating the one time I've seen a ghost--the ghost of my cat. It happened in the same house in which I now live, about six or seven years ago. One of our cats, a spayed female named Segunda, had grown old (about fourteen years) and feeble; she had developed sores in her mouth, and could not eat solid food. In fact, she was beginning to waste away. My sister recognized that the quality of our cat's life had become terribly poor, and that the humane thing to do was to take Segunda to the vet to be medically killed. For many, many years I had been against medical killing of pets, but witnessing this poor cat slowly die changed my mind. So my sister took Segunda in one day for the doctor to administer a quick, humane death to her, and afterwards we had her remains cremated--her ashes still reside upon our mantelpiece.

Some time after Segunda's death, I began to see strange flashings of light in my peripheral vision. There would be a streak of light in the corner of my eye, and when I would turn in the light's direction, there would be nothing there. This went on for about two weeks. One night, at home in my living room, I experienced this same kind of flashing in my peripheral vision, and turning again in its direction, saw Segunda come running from the hall towards the area of the living room. She looked absolutely corporeal, just as she did when living. She stopped all of a sudden and looked directly at me with a curious expression in her eyes. And then, all of a sudden, just like that, she simply wasn't there anymore. It all happened so quickly that I didn't even have time to process what I was experiencing. But I felt I had just received vivid confirmation that life endures beyond the body's demise, and that Segunda's spirit was still somewhere in the mind and heart of God, continuing her journey, for parts now invisible to me.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 10:01:05 pm »
Thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks.... to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love your cat stories!!

Will tell you another later.

Must rush. Must run. Am late.

Hugs!!

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 01:15:38 pm »
moremojo, that is a lovely story. I believe in "kitty heaven" and I believe your kitty did return to you; to let you know she is alright.

As far as having a pet put down at the vet, I am grateful I can do that for them if needed. If the time comes. Most of our pets have died at home of old age or disease processes, but a few have been euthanized at the vet. It's a hard thing to do but it's humane and anyone who loves their pets does it out of love. So no one should beat themselves up about it.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 02:05:52 pm »
I think that there is a pet heaven too!!

Plus, some of us humans maybe come back as a pet, like as a cat??

Any thoughts about this??

Hugs!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 09:24:54 pm »
I think that there is a pet heaven too!!

Plus, some of us humans maybe come back as a pet, like as a cat??

Any thoughts about this??

Hugs!!

I believe in an animal heaven. The soul is energy, and all living things possess this energy. Energy cannot be destroyed. It can be changed and manipulated, but it cannot be destroyed. So, this energy continues on, even after death. The energy within our brains (and in other animals) is intelligent and quite probably returns to the "Source" after death (Heaven).

I never did believe in Reincarnation. But many people do. It doesn't make sense though, unless there is a necessary "progression" involved before a living creature is allowed to enter eternal life in heaven. But if this is the case, why  would a human being return as a cat? It would make more sense for a cat to return as a human.

I don't know. The whole thing confuses me. But I definitely believe in life after death. Albert Einstein even believed in it.

Sorry about that! I didn't mean to turn this thread into a theological/science essay. Now back to the cat stories!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 11:28:36 pm »
Thanks David!!

May I say that I find your comments very, very interesting!!

To quote one of your lines:
The energy within our brains (and in other animals) is intelligent and quite probably returns to the "Source" after death (Heaven).

Ever did think ALSO about life before birth?? You might have been a cat? I might have been a cat?

What do you and/or others thinks about that too??

Hugs!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 08:42:12 pm »
Thanks David!!

May I say that I find your comments very, very interesting!!

To quote one of your lines:
The energy within our brains (and in other animals) is intelligent and quite probably returns to the "Source" after death (Heaven).

Ever did think ALSO about life before birth?? You might have been a cat? I might have been a cat?

What do you and/or others thinks about that too??

Hugs!!

If we are to consider the possibility of reincarnation, then yes. It makes sense to progress upwards, rather than downwards.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 09:02:03 pm »
Thanks David!

You say this:
If we are to consider the possibility of reincarnation, then yes. It makes sense to progress upwards, rather than downwards.

May I reply: that there are two sides to every coin, (usually); I know what my cousin found  out about this!

You want to know?

Hugs!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 09:04:35 pm »

May I reply: that there are two sides to every coin, (usually); I know what my cousin found  out about this!

You want to know?

Hugs!!

Sure Artiste! If you feel like telling us about it. It sounds very interesting.  :)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 09:31:07 pm »
You make me think of things I have not thought of in a long time, Artiste, some not so nice.

I had cats all my life. But I had no money and my parents wouldn't buy food for them; we would feed them table scraps. I would always give the cats the leftover meat...the dog would dig in the scraps looking for meat and look at me so pitifully and I felt so guilty...but he would eat the other stuff...the cats wouldn't. I remember as a little girl catching moths to feed the cats. I felt so bad (obviously not too bad or I would have not asked for them...) but if I got any money I would buy cat food instead of candy.

They learned to hunt for themselves...one day one of them had a ground squirrel baby. I took it from him and tried to raise it myself. I used milk from a can mixed with water and an eyedropper. I named him Tommy. He lived for a few weeks...then one day when I was feeding him he died. Maybe I drowned him because I didn't know what I was doing.

I remember holding him and thinking I couldn't save him. I couldn't save myself. I couldn't save anyone.

GOSH! Jess! That's terrible! So sad! I mean, so many worries and that as kid. I had goose bumps reading your story! I had a cat ever since I was 4 or so. But never did my family had difficulties feeding it. That must have been hard!

The first cat I had was a Siamese. But at the time I lived in an appartment with my family and the cat - named 'Ming-Ming' - would pee everywere, chew on every blanket it could find and escape down the staircase every chance it got! So my mum decided to give the cat away (to a person living in the same street, with a garden - there, Ming-Ming grew old and fat, if i remember well). I was allowed to have a cat only after moving into a place with a garden. Which happened 18 months or so after we gave away Ming-Ming. My sister brought home a black kitten from school one day (telling my mum it would be put asleep, if nobody took it). We kept 'Mohrlie' for 16 years. I was at Uni in the UK when my mother called me to tell me that they had had to put Mohrlie to sleep, because he got too old and sick. I cried like a baby, sitting there in the kitchen I shared with other students, who thought a 'human' member of my family had died.. I was almost too embarrassed to tell them it was 'only' my cat.

I don't have supernatural stories about the cats I've had. Sad ones yes. I brought one kitten (called Pristi, short for Pristina) back from the Balkans were I had stayed for 6 months a while ago. It was quite an adventure to get it on the plane, change planes and and all the way to Brussels. Sad thing is, one weekend I was away and when I came home, my sister  >:(  had given the cat away! I am STILL angry with her. I went once on a visit to the people who got Pristi. The family's kids changed the name to Luna.

Brokie, one of the cats I have since July last year, wouldn't purr at all for the first half year or so. It's not that long ago, that she started purring (I think I know why, but that's another story). And she does it a lot now.

The other day I was washing my car outside, on the parking lot in front of my apartment block. Brokie (and Sayif - her son) where sitting inside at the window, watching me. I live on the ground floor and I have a cat flap in the back of my flat, where the cats can go out into the garden and beyond. So, while I was washing my car, Brokie suddenly appeared. She must have gone all arround the apartment block to the parking lot, to keep me company..  ;D While I continued washing the car, she would pace up and down the little bush alley next to the cars. When i finished and entered my flat through the front door, she ran back inside with me. Cute!

j. U. d. E.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:36:34 pm by j. U. d. E. »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 09:40:26 pm »
Thanks j.U.d.E.!

Interesting stories!!

And great ending! Cat coming back in too!!

I say: Cats do love us and are curious!!

More?

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 09:45:51 pm »
Thanks David!

The story is a real one created by one of my cousins.

My cousin was a singer and would go to different hotels to sing!! Alone at those places, he read about hypnotism.
Intrigued by that, guess whom was his first person he hypnotized?

And why is this subject about after-life?

Hugs!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 02:11:17 pm »
bumping so I can find it again  ::)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 02:20:52 pm »
CRYPTIC

THE dictionary has several meanings to the word cryptic..    Mysterious in meaning. Puzzling, ambiguous.  \ As a cryptogram, a puzzle, or concealing....

The Zodiac killer sent cryptic messages..Concealing information, that had to be revealed,
by solving of the puzzle...  \
hope this helps                                                                janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 02:29:29 pm »
Thanks ifyoucantfixit!!

1- I think that also crytic has something to do when you are in that wood box, six feet under??

2- Can it be too associated with cats, as a cat has seven lives??

Somehow??

Love these cat sotries!!

Hugs!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Another Kitty Story
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 02:53:50 pm »
There are some great cat stories here - poignant, sad, funny - thank you for starting this thread, Artiste.

It's amazing how much pets contribute to our quality of life.  They're certainly a luxury and can cost a lot to take care of; I think we tend to take that for granted.

I have a zillion kitty stories about my two (Titania & Oberon, brother and sister, who just turned 10 years old on 3/15). 

Here's one:

I came home from work very late one night 11:30 pm or so and found Titania and Oberon milling about in the kitchen.  My brother (Billy) was staying with my Mom and was already in bed.

I put away my case and the other assorted stuff I drag with me to work every day, but the kitties keep nudging me, meowing, trying to get my attention, and generally milling about.  It occurred to me that something wasn't right because they're usually asleep in Mom's bed.

(When I moved back home from Boston, Mom gave me what-for for bringing cats with me, then proceeded to shamelessly adopt them as her grand-kitties being as I was never going to provide her with any real grandchildren  ::) :) ).

I quickly go back to Mom's room to check on her.  She wasn't in bed where she belonged; she'd gotten up to go to the bathroom - the bed alarm had come unattached, which is why Billy didn't wake when she tried to get up alone - and was passed out in there on the toilet with what turned out to be a minor stroke.

If I could just teach the kitties to dial 911...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 03:39:02 pm »
Thanks Lynne!

That is a great real story!! Your kittens, in a way, did dial 991 - at least, to you!!

Kittens do save lives!!

If you read my own cat stories, you saw that kittens were born in my garage.
One year, there were two kittens, one female, one male. They got along well together and with me!!
Once, I think one or the two had saved my life from a neighbour bad killer-dogs!!
Older now, one got into the house and so I said get out, even a second and / or a third times!!
But when I got out of the house later going to a store or to visit, I saw that her/his broher had gotten hit
in front of the house by a car, a dog or someone. It had wanted me to save the other cat!!
I pray that that cat, those two will forgive me!!

That was twenty plus years ago, I remember that and will likely for the rest of my life!

Cats do save lives, ours or try to save their brother or sister!!

More of your cat stories??

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 11:14:40 pm »

My cat is very mad at me tonight because a fire alarm went off in my building earlier this evening and I had to quicky wrangle her into her cat-carrier.  Let me tell you, it was an awful struggle.  The loud alarm was going off and scarring her anyway and then she *hates* going in her carrier, so she fought me the whole time.  But, I was proud of myself, I actually got her in (finally) and got her outside.  And, then the fire department came for like 5 minutes and declared the whole thing a false alarm.  This is of course really great news.  But, my cat won't come near me tonight following all this trauma.  She's been sleeping for hours trying to get over this.

Still, I really am relieved to know that I am able to get her out of the building (in a relatively reasonable amount of time) in case of a real emergency.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 11:27:54 pm »
Thanks atx75!

That is a great story! And a good strategy! Congratulations! Maybe your cat will get the habit for safety, thanks to you! It might also save your life and/or other persons too!!

Mother's dog used to get scared when the fire alarm would ring! The dog now cries to mother when she does not hear the telephone ring! Guess it says to mother that the telephone call might be an urgency?

Always happy to hear your news,

hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2007, 08:57:57 am »
Hi to injest, to atz 75, and to all!!!

It is great to share our cat stories!!

Maybe some of you have read some of mine.
And here is another one.
As you know  a mother cat started
to have her kittens in my garage
besides the previous house that I had.
This continued for a few years.

I made sure that the garage was there house and home,
adding pillows for them in the Winter.
The cats were never allowed in the house!

Went I travelled, I had an old gentleman (Glen) come daily
to the house to feed the cat(s). He did
this for over 20 years... I think it was,
as he is now in an retirement home
where I visit him.

One year, he said that the mother cat
came into the house and he told her
to get out every morning. She would
take her kittens from my bed,
and go out! I guess that she was so intelligent,
I supposed that she knew,
by my habits of voyaging,
how long I was to be away!!
I think that fearing the killer dogs next door,
I see that she taught that having her
kittens on my bed was safer!!??

My helper was puzzled as to how
that mother cat got into the house!!
He and I found out that she sneaked
through the double windows, I think
it was!!

Beautiful long hair grey coloured,
that mother cat always had
kittens which were smart too,
some had mohair like her!!

Long to read other cat stories too,

hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 12:01:49 am »
Nice story injest!

Thanks!!

I guess cats are like humans,  some are jealous of other cats!! ??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 10:20:25 am »
Injestdid you have sweet peas on your plate?

And did he eat them all?

Funny like some cats are!!

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:29 am »
Thanks injest!

You say this about your cat:
 I think he was sneaking up on me! he liked to startle me...I think he thought it was fun to do!

May I ask did he often did sneak up towards you? To play??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 10:44:15 am »
injest, your cat was very active!!

Wow, wow!!

Great memories you have of him!!

Hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 11:57:10 pm »
yes he did it quite a bit...liked to hide behind doors or around corners and jump at me when I came thru. Sometimes at night he would jump up and nip my arm if it was not under the covers!

He NEVER did that to my husband only me!

he never nipped hard, just play nipping but sometimes it was painful! LOL!

LOL, my cat likes to stalk my feet and nip too.  I'm sure she feels that it's a form of hunting.  It's definitely "all in good fun", I can always tell by her demeanor that she's not "serious" and that this is just fun or her letting off a bit of energy.  My cat enjoys some night time nipping too (arms not under covers, etc. as you describe).  I think she likes to rough-house and wrestle a bit too.  She's still really young so, mostly she's a bundle of energy.
 :D :D :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 12:00:21 am »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 12:09:26 am »
My cat likes to jump up on the kitchen counter and spill things. He jumped up there the other day and knocked over the syrup bottle. As it slowly trickled over the edge of the counter and down to the floor, he hopped down off the counter to investigate, during which time the syrup slowly drizzled all over his fur. Soon it started drying and crusting.

Sooooo....... I had to give him a bath. Very unpleasant. He yowled, screetched and hissed at me for probably a full 5 minutes. And I swear he was literally climbing the walls; right up the tile work.

Poor baby. He's clean now, and I have several scratch marks up and down my arms from the ordeal.

But, the next time he knocks over the syrup bottle, he's on his own. I wouldn't repeat that experience again for anything.

Not FOR ANYTHING!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 12:28:50 am »
ROTF!!

Haha. It's kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't funny the other day. I knew he would fight me, but I had no idea it would be so bad. He's a small cat too, especially for a male cat. How can such a small animal inflict so much damage in such a short period of time?

Okay Jess. Now tell us one of your cat stories! You have two cats. I'm quite certain you have some stories to tell us.  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 12:40:29 am »
Yup, there's not much that can get a cat angrier than bath-time.  They're so cute when they're wet though... they look like little mad chrysanthemun flowers, with their fur all spikey.

Vivien likes to sit on the edge of the bath tub when I take a bath and once in a while this ends very badly... with her slipping in and freaking out and then running around the apartment all wet.  It's like she's deliberately testing fate or playing a game with herself... pushing the water limits.

:laugh:

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 12:44:57 am »

Poor kitties  ;)  :D  ;D  :laugh:
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 12:47:25 am »
Yup, there's not much that can get a cat angrier than bath-time.  They're so cute when they're wet though... they look like little mad chrysanthemun flowers, with their fur all spikey.

Vivien likes to sit on the edge of the bath tub when I take a bath and once in a while this ends very badly... with her slipping in and freaking out and then running around the apartment all wet.  It's like she's deliberately testing fate or playing a game with herself... pushing the water limits.

:laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:

Vivien sounds so cute, Amanda!

I think it will be a very long time before Oreo trusts me around the bath tub again. He remained angry at me for the rest of the day. Later on he forgave me, but developed a gas problem.  :laugh:  :laugh:

Maybe he was trying to punish me. i don't know. If he was, it worked!  :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 12:54:11 am »
Oh don't give Cry Baby away Jess!!! He's soooo cute!

I think cats try to achieve a "pecking order" just as dogs do. Maybe this is what they are doing. And Milli is probably "talking" to Cry Baby when she cries and hisses. It's not really meant for you, but something between the two of them.

But in the end, what ever the reason is, I'm sure they will learn to get along.

I doubt I will get another cat; at least not right now. Cody (my dog) and Oreo are a complete handful for me at the moment! But they sure are cute.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 12:57:37 am »
when my Fred was a kitten he could walk all the way around the tub. Then he grew up..and that belly roll wouldn't fit anymore!

One day I was laying back in the tub floating and relaxing when the lights went out. I opened my eyes to see a wide expanse of white fur directly over my face. Time stood still as he realized he wasn't going to be able to make it around the tub and I realized he was losing his balance....in slow motion I flailed to get out of the way (cause the last thing you want is a panicked cat in ya face!) as he began a slow motion descent into the tub with me...

now you remember what it was like when you were bathing Oreo?? Imagine being naked in there with him while he was trying to have his escape.

I don't know which got out of that tub quicker...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh my God Jess. That was SOOOO funny!

Seriously, I'm glad you're okay! I can't even imagine how awful that was for you!

But I can't stop laughing!!!!

Oh God.....  :laugh:  :laugh:

.... I'm so sorry!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Poor Jess and Fred!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 01:16:59 am »
Jess, you have some of the cutest stories!  :)

When I was a kid, we had a black cat. Jet black, with bright green eyes. We named him "Devil" and it was a good name for him too, because he was a devil; maybe even a demon. But he was very cute.

Every morning he would walk into my parent's bedroom, hop up on their bed  and bite my mom on her toes....HARD! He wanted her to wake up and feed him. But I'd hear her yell "ouch" (I'm being kind with the language here) and I knew it was time to get up and dress for school.

That cat was a wonderful "alarm clock"!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 01:26:53 am »

Fred would go out on the porch (had no interest in descending to walk about in the grass that was for dogs and people) thought it a great idea to sit on the porch and watch the lower species going about their business

and I thought it was a wonderful idea too to let him take the air and all....until I realized he was EATING water bugs! I informed him that I would no longer be allowing him to kiss me anymore with his bug breath self! He was a tireless hunter...could hear a bug crawling three rooms away and would act just like a pointing dog. He would point them out and I would run and get the broom to sweep them out. He would stand by in case they gave me the slip.

My second cat was NOT a good hunter....he would occassionally catch something but insisted on bringing it into the house instead of eating it! He would bring it in and release it for ME to catch...One day I was on the phone with my mother when he came strutting thru the door. I heard a cicada hummin and started looking for it....it was IN HIS MOUTH! I started yelling "DON"T SPIT IT OUT!! DONT!!" threw down the phone and grabbed him and threw him back out the door....

Oh God!! How awful!!  :P

We get those cicadas here in Indiana too. They look like miniature flying monkeys. Big fat awful looking things! It's really terrible when they are flying loose in the house.  :P

I'll never forget those love bugs down in Florida. Yeah, there really is such a thing. I had to deal with them when I lived in Florida. We put screens on the fronts of our cars to keep them from clogging up the motor. They stick together when they mate and that's why they call them "love bugs". Disgusting little critters.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2007, 03:23:38 pm »

One more story - when she was still very young, we had a table lamp that had this sort of bowl that wrapped around the base of the lamp.  Lucy would carefully get up into it, and then melt from the warnth of the lamp into a perfect circle that filled the entire bowl, head twisted under, nose to tail tip, just a limp puddle of melted cat.

My kitty kat Pepper likes to curl up in in the bathroom sink.  I imagine if I had such a lamp she would do the same thing as Lucy.

;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2007, 03:26:46 pm »
I remember holding him and thinking I couldn't save him. I couldn't save myself. I couldn't save anyone.

Jess, ....

:-\

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2007, 03:33:29 pm »
Haha. It's kind of funny now, but it sure wasn't funny the other day. I knew he would fight me, but I had no idea it would be so bad. He's a small cat too, especially for a male cat. How can such a small animal inflict so much damage in such a short period of time?

Okay Jess. Now tell us one of your cat stories! You have two cats. I'm quite certain you have some stories to tell us.  :)

Small cats are the wiggliest!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2007, 03:38:10 pm »
Thanks David, and notBastet!!

It is interesting to hear your views on cats!!

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2007, 03:43:53 pm »
My kitty kat Pepper likes to curl up in in the bathroom sink.  I imagine if I had such a lamp she would do the same thing as Lucy.

;)

A boyfriend I used to live with back in New York had a cat who loved to sit on the kitchen sink, especially when it was wet which I found strange. She forced us to always do the dishes right after eating, because if we left them on the sink she would break them. I tried to talk to him into changing all glasses for plastic ones but he didn't like it. She was a careless cat. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »
Thanks! opinionista, and notBastet!!

What a story!

Guess that cat told: Wash the dishes right now!! ??

I wonder what made her do that? Any idea??

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:40 am »
A boyfriend I used to live with back in New York had a cat who loved to sit on the kitchen sink, especially when it was wet which I found strange. She forced us to always do the dishes right after eating, because if we left them on the sink she would break them. I tried to talk to him into changing all glasses for plastic ones but he didn't like it. She was a careless cat. 

That's interesting that the cat liked to sit in the wet sink.  My cat, Vivien, jumps into the tub as soon as the water has drained out after a bath or a shower.  And she'll sit there and even roll around sometimes while the tub is still damp and warm.  Sometimes she'll jump in as the last remaining bit of the water is draining down and watch it.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2007, 05:56:22 pm »

Careless, eh?  You sure it wasn't intentional??

;)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2007, 10:35:13 pm »
Oh man, I've got a great one I heard from my friend:

Her friend Claire was making love with her boyfriend, him on top.  Suddenly he collapsed onto her, saying something like "Oh my f—ing gawd!"  She asked what was wrong.

It turns out, her kitty had been near the foot of the bed watching. And apparently, it became fascinated by one aspect of the view: the balls swinging back and forth.  And as a fascinated cat will do, it batted them.

(No claws were involved, thank goodness.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2007, 10:37:41 pm »
ROFL!!
 ;D ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 11:46:03 pm »
I just posted this in the Funny Kitty thread too... but I thought people on this thread might enjoy this website:

http://kittenwar.com/
Kittenwar!
The tag line is "May the cutest kitten win!"

It's all about comparing pictures of kittens and voting for the one you think is cutest.  It's a great website for cat-people!
 8)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2007, 04:17:07 am »
posting to find later - this looks like a good thread that i dont have the time to read or add stories to at work!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2007, 09:32:28 pm »
Any other cat pics or stories??

Hugs!!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 11:20:42 pm »
Hello Artiste!

I once had a gray and white dsh named Dixie. She was an indoor/outdoor cat. When she came in, she didn't look for soft, cushy places to sleep. Most of the time she would curl up in the bathroom sink. A few times, I caught her asleep in the crockpot.  :) I took her picture and showed people--look at the new dish I cooked.  :P  There were plenty of quilts, pillows, etc., so I wondered why she liked to sleep where she did.

She and my other cat Ripley always wanted to drink running water, too. They preferred that anyway. Ripley would jump up on the sink and ME-OW for me to turn the faucet on---I guess that's from running streams in nature when cats were wild?? I know a lot of cats do that.

I am catless at present---I just lost Ripley last week--17 years old--but I love cats. She was a good and smart cat. She liked to be petted and rubbed, but didn't want to be held too much. She was stand-offish toward almost everyone besides me. That's probably why she lived so long since she was also indoor/outdoor. Always very wary and vigilant. She was a huntress too--displayed her prey for me to see---birds, rabbits, squirrels, mice......I tried to act proud of her. She didn't know I'd rather she'd have left the poor little critters alone. (Except maybe the indoor mice!)

I may get another cat next summer.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2007, 05:40:23 pm »
Wonderful story Shasta542!! Thanks!!

Sorry for your lost. She is in cat heaven as she helped you, saved you!! You helped her too!! Great, great!!

You have any pics of your cat??

Hugs!!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2007, 07:33:20 pm »
Thank you, Artiste.   :)

Ripley's picture is near the bottom of this page:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11451.150.html
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~