Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 143014 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2006, 04:50:36 pm »
This thread began life in the Safe Haven forum, but was moved here to make it accessible to more members of Bettermost.

With all of the forum changes taking place on BetterMost as the site evolves into a user community, it's more important than ever for us to make clear what the different forums on BetterMost are all about.  Safe Haven was created for our LGBT members who would serve as a "ready-made" community for those who are just coming out of the closet after seeing Brokeback Mountain, or for those questioning their sexual identity in general.

This particular topic on other gay-themed movies is of interest to a wider audience than it was receiving within the Safe Haven forum, and with this in mind,  I have moved it here to the Open Forum (with the moderator's input and permission) so that everyone can feel free to participate. 

Thanks for the excellent replies and hard work put into our growing movie list and I'm certain it will be seen by the broader BetterMost community as a useful resource.  Some of the posts prior to this one mention Safe Haven in one way or another, and rather than modify them, I'm choosing to leave 'em intact.  Knowing that they were written while in the Safe Haven forum will hopefully prevent any confusion about such mentions.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope that everyone will enjoy this topic as much as we have over at Safe Haven!   ;D
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2006, 06:52:35 pm »
I see this thread is old so I don't know if this movie was mentioned: Summer Storm. A german movie about two boys in their teens who are best friends. One is gay and the other is not. The story is about how they deal with their sexuality, ideas about it, and their hormones! This is a nice, light movie. I had a good time watching it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420206/

Also Amodovar's movies such as All About My Mother, The Law of Desire, The Bad Education, deal with homosexuality.

About the movies listed:

Before Night Falls
I didn't like it. I loved Bardem's performance but the movie was too depressing. I know Brokeback was too, but in a very different way. I had nightmares after watching Before Night Falls.

Walk on Water
I liked this movie but I don't think it's really gay related. One character is gay but the whole plot has nothing to do with homosexuality in itself. I thought it was more about dealing with the past, with Hitler and the holocaust, and what it means for the characters.

The Wedding Banquet
I loved this movie. I thought it was a beautiful love story not only between two lovers but also between father and son. Well done and well acted too.

Yossi and Jagger
This movie was good, too short but good. It's a bit similar to BBM, not that profound but similar. No cowboys or horses there, though.

Y tu mamá también.
Its simply one of the best road movies I have ever seen. But I'm not sure if it's really gay related, although it could be.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:59:51 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2006, 08:51:56 pm »
Speaking of other gay themed movies, Outfest is coming up in LA.
http://outfest.org/fest2006/index.html

I'm gonna be working as a volunteer at several events. There are also some pretty fun looking movies that are going to be shown. One of the most talked about film for this year's festival is Broken Sky, from Mexico. I have myself signed up to usher the screening, so I'll be able to catch some of it. I'll let you know how it is.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2006, 08:24:05 am »
One of the most talked about film for this year's festival is Broken Sky, from Mexico. I have myself signed up to usher the screening, so I'll be able to catch some of it. I'll let you know how it is.
Sure sounds like an interesting movie!! I checked it out on the Outfest link you had inserted. Well, have lots of fun ushering!!  ;)

OldeSoul - I think I have heard of Lilies a while back, but forgotten about it. But you know what? It's already on my list on amazon.co.uk ready to be ordered. I'm waiting before I go ahead, 'cause I want to order more and have to look for it first. Too bad, that many of the films I'd like to order are Region 1, which is no good to me..   :-\

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2006, 01:08:31 am »
Wow, you've actually seen this?  Someone from my volleyball league made it!  I've never seen it though, how is it?
Juan
Sorry I never replied to this and time has passed. Quite funny. For a short, there's quite a lot in it. Not much more I can say.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2006, 08:17:43 am »
Before Night Falls
I didn't like it. I loved Bardem's performance but the movie was too depressing. I know Brokeback was too, but in a very different way. I had nightmares after watching Before Night Falls.

"like" is a such a weird word to use with film, isn't it? I mean, with BBM, who "likes" be heartbroken? I don't think I'd say I liked Before Night Falls either. It is a heavy film, and it can affect you quite hard. I "like" that it has the power to move me to the level it did. It's not a film I would see too often again, but it is one I'd recommend to anyone. It's a really good film, to be sure.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2006, 10:50:24 am »
"like" is a such a weird word to use with film, isn't it? I mean, with BBM, who "likes" be heartbroken? I don't think I'd say I liked Before Night Falls either. It is a heavy film, and it can affect you quite hard. I "like" that it has the power to move me to the level it did. It's not a film I would see too often again, but it is one I'd recommend to anyone. It's a really good film, to be sure.

I agree with you, starboardlight.  I "liked" it for all the reasons you mentioned, and so don't have a problem with saying so.

Perhaps the verb "enjoy" would be better suited to our purpose:  I liked "Schindler's List" quite a lot, but I certainly didn't "enjoy" it.  Same goes for "Before Night Falls." 

A movie-review podcast that I love, Filmspotting (formerly "Cinecast") love to do lists for various categories.  They did one "Top Ten Favorite Movies That You Don't Want to See Again."  It was all about this idea...  great movies that should be seen but not "enjoyed."
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2006, 11:57:40 am »

Y tu mamá también.
Its simply one of the best road movies I have ever seen. But I'm not sure if it's really gay related, although it could be.

yeah, I have the same reaction. I enjoyed the character development in the film alot, and thought the actors and actress were great fun to watch. I just go "rrhhh?" when people categorize it as a gay film. Just because of one kiss? I guess we all interpret that kiss differently. I never thought of it as being a sexual tension between the two friends, but rather a confused stage of life for teen boys where intimacy and friendship is difficult to understand.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2006, 11:59:09 am »
I agree with you, starboardlight.  I "liked" it for all the reasons you mentioned, and so don't have a problem with saying so.

Perhaps the verb "enjoy" would be better suited to our purpose:  I liked "Schindler's List" quite a lot, but I certainly didn't "enjoy" it.  Same goes for "Before Night Falls." 

A movie-review podcast that I love, Filmspotting (formerly "Cinecast") love to do lists for various categories.  They did one "Top Ten Favorite Movies That You Don't Want to See Again."  It was all about this idea...  great movies that should be seen but not "enjoyed."

yep, same reaction to Schindler's List. It was important to see it once, but I don't think I'll do it again anytime soon.
That list of movies sounds like great fun. Maybe we should start one.  ;D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:38 pm »

You could be right about the word "like" being a weird word to use in this film but when I think of it what I feel is dislike. It has nothing to do with the topic or with the fact that Reynaldo Arenas was gay, it's just that I didn't like the way the movie was done. It was weak in many aspects, but that's just my opinion.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.