Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81715 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Movie News
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:55:04 pm »
Would like to talk sometime with anyone who's interested about an article I'm reading on Werner Herzog. Unfortunately, it's not online.

But here's a review of American Dreamz: http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/060424crci_cinema

It looks like an interesting plot but doesn't sound too appetizing to watch. I think I'll see Don't Come Knocking next instead.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 12:19:58 pm »
Brokeback Mountain is playing for an indefinite engagement at the Starz Film Center in downtown Denver, home of the Denver Film Society http://www.starzfilmcenter.com/. If any of you Texas Brokies are coming to town for the hockey playoffs, I'd be glad to play host if you would like to get together for lunch/dinner and/or a trip to the Tivoli Brewery where the Starz Film Center is located. I envy Sheyne/Ray and the NY/Calif Brokies who can get together easily! I think there's one other Tremblayan (Mel) around here and I'd love to meet him/her!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 05:10:48 pm »
Makes me want to go to Denver for the week!  I wish there were some "return engagements" playing around here.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 09:29:23 pm »
Well , it's a very nice time to be in Denver! And remember, that's what Jack recommended for "People like us." You;re welcome anytime!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Moon quote
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:31:49 pm »
Okay, here's a quote from the article I'm reading about Werner Herzog to whet your appetite:

“Herzog worked particularly quickly that day, filming scenes at three locations. In the evening, he filmed [Christian] Bale alone in the jungle, huddled beneath a rocky overhang on which a faded gold Buddha was painted. A 7-foot-long banana leaf dangled over the shrine; it was weighted down, on its underside, by a giant gray slug. The trees thrummed with bats. To replace the moon, a small white balloon, embedded with electric bulbs, was inflated with helium. It slowly climbed upward, through the netted palms; when it was hovering above the treetops, the device was turned on. There was an implosive sound as moths and beetles hurtled into the glowing orb, which was soon speckled with the black outlines of ten thousand bugs.”

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 09:31:16 pm »
Tonight I am reading about the making of the film Miidnight Cowboy. There are quite a few similarities to Brokeback Mountain, and some glaring differences. The most glaring is the fact that Midnight Cowboy, an X-rated film, won best picture in the Acaademy Awards 35 years ago. It was made by a gay director, John Schlesinger, about two gay men. The times were very different then, and so was the approach. Another thiing I noticed that was very different was the support from the cast/crew and management. John Schlesinger was a reluctant director, unsure of the value of the film, but his producer and management, as well as major actors Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight, supported and reassured him throughout the production.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 12:22:02 am »
Tonight I am reading about the making of the film Miidnight Cowboy. There are quite a few similarities to Brokeback Mountain, and some glaring differences. The most glaring is the fact that Midnight Cowboy, an X-rated film, won best picture in the Acaademy Awards 35 years ago. It was made by a gay director, John Schlesinger, about two gay men. The times were very different then, and so was the approach. Another thiing I noticed that was very different was the support from the cast/crew and management. John Schlesinger was a reluctant director, unsure of the value of the film, but his producer and management, as well as major actors Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight, supported and reassured him throughout the production.

Interesting, F-R! I didn't know any of this. I absolutely loved Midnight Cowboy, one of my favorite movies at the time, though I saw it on TV (!!!) when I was a little kid and I don't think I've seen it since. Never in its X-rated form. I didn't realize the two men were supposed to be gay; I just thought they was good friends! Another movie I loved as a kid is Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. It's interesting for me to look back at my own life in the wake of Brokeback and speculate on why I might have been drawn to these particular movies. As I'm a straight woman, I haven't come up with any good theories as to why I'd find movies with homoerotic themes particularly appealing, but I'm intrigued by the concept. If anybody else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

PS, I love Anthony Lane. Did you read his review of Brokeback? One of my favorites.

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:06:07 am »
Brokeback Mountain is playing for an indefinite engagement at the Starz Film Center in downtown Denver, home of the Denver Film Society http://www.starzfilmcenter.com/. If any of you Texas Brokies are coming to town for the hockey playoffs, I'd be glad to play host if you would like to get together for lunch/dinner and/or a trip to the Tivoli Brewery where the Starz Film Center is located. I envy Sheyne/Ray and the NY/Calif Brokies who can get together easily! I think there's one other Tremblayan (Mel) around here and I'd love to meet him/her!

lee, if the timing was better for me, i might actually have considered going to this.  i love denver, it's one of my favorite cities.  i'll have to remember you're out there for the next time i go, we'll have to have a mini-brokie-get together   :D
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:27:14 am »
Great, l-darlin. I'll check to see if there are any Brokeback return showings or events planned. Denver is also the home of Dave Cullen, so there may be something in the works.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 04:10:33 pm »
Lat, if you saw Midnight Cowboy on TV as a child, I don't think u've really SEEN the movie, u know what I mean? I think there is a special re-release due to the 35th anniversary of the movie, so u might check it out at the Blockbuster. With scenes added back in, it will become clearer that the two leads are gay. In light of BBM, we should go back and reexamine certain buddy pictures, maybe not Butch & Sundance but Midnight Cowboy, certainly. For example, in one scene, Joe Buck has been hired by the character played by Brenda Vaccaro. But he can't get it up, so they play Scrabble, and Brenda spells out "gay." Outraged, Joe rises to the occasion and they get it on on the Scrabble board.