Author Topic: Movie News  (Read 81701 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Movie News
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2007, 11:25:21 pm »
Crash IS the Pia Zadora of the Oscars!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2007, 12:00:27 am »
It disgusts me to think that, regardless of the record number of awards handed out to BBM, the mere fact that it didn't win Best Picture is the reason that it's not mentioned in that article and Crash is.  We're all so conditioned to think of the Oscars as the be all and end all.  That debacle did such damage in so many ways.

It's entirely possible that, if BBM had won, they would have found another Best Picture winner to mention. (Note that the LotR movies are in the category with Shrek and Spiderman 2, and not with the Best Picture winners. Though, you know, I enjoyed the Spiderman movies a heck of a lot more than, say, A Beautiful Mind or Million Dollar Baby or Chicago. So maybe it's better company.)

They can handle LotR if it's in a context with "non-serious movies that made a lot of money." BBM... they can't handle BBM at all.

Stupid movie industry. *goes off to wait impatiently for the new episode of BSG to show up on iTunes*

Has anyone looked at the full list that's on the ballot? Is it possible that BBM is on there, and the article didn't mention it? (I mean, good grief, it ought to fall into the "indie favorites" category with Sideways and Memento, shouldn't it?)

Did you see that up to five write-in choices are allowed? Maybe BBM will show up after all. The criteria include "how the movies fared with critics, how they fared at award-show time, and how they're holding up against history." I would say that BBM does pretty damn well with all those criteria (better than Crash), even without the Best Picture win. (Director's Guild? Producer's Guild? Writer's Guild? Golden Globes? BAFTAs? Critics awards? There were good reasons why BBM was expected to win last year.)

Maybe we should spam the article with comments asking if BBM is on the ballot, arguing that it was truly the best movie of 2005, and asking why CTHD was mentioned when Ang Lee's other classic was not?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2007, 02:19:12 am »
Has anyone looked at the full list that's on the ballot? Is it possible that BBM is on there, and the article didn't mention it? (I mean, good grief, it ought to fall into the "indie favorites" category with Sideways and Memento, shouldn't it?)

Did you see that up to five write-in choices are allowed? Maybe BBM will show up after all. The criteria include "how the movies fared with critics, how they fared at award-show time, and how they're holding up against history." I would say that BBM does pretty damn well with all those criteria (better than Crash), even without the Best Picture win. (Director's Guild? Producer's Guild? Writer's Guild? Golden Globes? BAFTAs? Critics awards? There were good reasons why BBM was expected to win last year.)

Maybe we should spam the article with comments asking if BBM is on the ballot, arguing that it was truly the best movie of 2005, and asking why CTHD was mentioned when Ang Lee's other classic was not?

Mel, I looked again at the article and noticed a link toward the end for afi.com.  If you register, you can submit your favorite movie and the reasons you chose it.  They also give you a link to download the official ballot (PDF format) with all 400 films.  Brokeback Mountain is on it (yay!), so there is a chance.

Everybody, if you go here and register your comments, BBM will at least have our voices behind it.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2007, 12:32:46 pm »
I'm reading a great article on Cate Blanchett in this week's New Yorker. Oh, to be CB's husband! (She's considering having a third child) Definitely have to see Notes From A Scandal. Has anyone seen it??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2007, 05:57:26 pm »
Okay, I have Maurice in hand and plan to watch it tomorrow. Please join me!

moremojo

New Jacques Rivette website
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2007, 12:14:06 pm »
Some exciting news: I just discovered a new English-language website devoted to French filmmaker and critic Jacques Rivette (born in Rouen in 1928). Rivette, who worked as a critic for the legendary magazine Cahiers du cinema before becoming one of the most important directors of the French New Wave, is a major filmmaker who is still relatively little-known in the English-speaking world. His delightful 1974 feature Celine et Julie vont en bateau is one of the masterpieces of world cinema, and his controversial 1966 La Religieuse (based on the classic subversive novel by Denis Diderot) remains one of the loveliest and most subtle period films ever made.

Here is the link to the website (which is very much a work-in-progress):

http://www.jacques-rivette.com/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2007, 12:31:48 pm »
So he was one of the Truffault gang then? Cool, I'll look at it!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2007, 02:10:22 am »
Normally I don't read the Wall Street Journal, but there was an excellent review in this weekend's edition about the movie "Little Miss Sunshine." It was titled "How One Scene Can Say Everything" and was about the scene where the brother Dwayne, played by Paul Dano, finally breaks his silence with the "heartbreaking cry of 'F--! F--! F--!"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2007, 12:20:34 pm »
I'm taking two movies with me to Michigan for the Oscar Not Party. "The Player" one of Robert Altman's greatest, and "Stranger Than Fiction" which Mel recommended to me. Stay tuned for reviews. Of course, the main movie on my agenda is Brokeback Mountain at the State Theater!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2007, 04:15:47 pm »
Was this the movie where that crazy guy went to live among the bears in Alaska and sat around anthropomorphizing them and thinking he had some sort of 'bond' with them?

LOL!  That's it exactly. I don't know if he was crazy but he was certainly delusional.  He fancied himself as this great protector of Grizzly bears but in the process probably endangered them more than anything by acclimatizing them to human presence.  I didn't have much sympathy for him either although he was obviously a troubled person in need of help.