Author Topic: Why was the Dozy Embrace so sad?  (Read 22521 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Why was the Dozy Embrace so sad?
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »
The dozy embrace is a scene of consummate beauty with elements and symbolism running the entire spectrum of emotions. It has everything: ones dearest wish fulfilled, a young love both pure and simple, an honesty which only the dim and dense cannot see and feel with every breath and whisper on the screen.

Ennis behind jack...why? because he would be standing in the fire if he embraced him from the front.

Standing within the fire....

The spit on that fire so like the tire iron which ended Jack's life.

The flames of the fire itself illuminating and warming both, inevitably to die down.

The iconic imagery of the  macho and tough Cowboy  turned tender and hesitant, tender and sweet, while giving up nothing to life and circumstances.

The image of the cowboy wannabe having his most cherished wish fulfilled. Beauty made to glow in the eyes of JT.

But we know the ending.

And you ask why it so sad yet  iconically beautiful??
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2007, 01:27:22 am »
I think there are some excellent posts here.  The dozy embrace is certainly one of the most poignant moments in the movie - to see Jack after his confrontation with Ennis at the lake flash back to a time when they were unencumbered by the complications of their lives after that blissful summer, only to be shoved back into the here and now - Ennis driving away, leaving Jack bitterly unhappy.

It seems Ennis was always leaving Jack because responsibilities were calling.

I don't want us to forget Annie Proulx's version of the dozy embrace, though.  I think the movie somehow softens and romanticizes it in a way that the short story did not:

"Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives.  Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see nor feel that it was Jack he held.  And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.  Let be, let be."

Do others think that the film minimizes this aspect of their relationship, focusing more on the affection and happiness of that idyllic time on the mountain and less on Ennis' inability to accept himself and his love for Jack?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:30:06 am by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2007, 04:14:23 am »
No, I think it is faithful to the spirit of the SS and-- in particular--the DE is portrayed exactly the way it was written as regarding  both emotional content and imagery. It has every characteristic  bestowed upon it by AP. The abrupt switch from Happy Young Jack to the dissillusioned 39 year old who had been brought to very dark places by his love for EDM IMO leaves the emotioan content of the DE as written intact. As a matter of fact I think it enhances it.

One way or the other, one PLACE or the other, every bit of Annie's dialogue is in that film. We spent weeks going over it word by word on DC, and found it in the oddest places.

I said odd, but every place you found it the emotional meaning it had in the SS was intact.

I can hunt down the links for you Lynne, if you want, yet there are  more then enough interested people  right here on THIS forum to work it through again...who knows, perhaps with different insights.

chelseagirl

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2007, 07:32:18 pm »
Hi,

my 2 cents:

I agree brokebackjack:  the film did stay true ss in this one very important scene.  This is Jack, all Jack.   The young beautiful face fill with love and contentment, and the older, worn, and weary Jack tire from fighting a battle that he seems could never win.  The dozy embrace is of promise, and the final confrontation was bitter reality.

Was it resignation of the way things are or a face that was ready to release the pain? 

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2007, 08:06:43 pm »
I agree brokebackjack:  the film did stay true ss in this one very important scene.  This is Jack, all Jack.   The young beautiful face fill with love and contentment, and the older, worn, and weary Jack tire from fighting a battle that he seems could never win.  The dozy embrace is of promise, and the final confrontation was bitter reality.

Was it resignation of the way things are or a face that was ready to release the pain? 

First, welcome Chelsea!  I'm very glad to see you join the community!

Second, what is amazing to me is that no matter how much Ennis drives Jack crazy, Jack is still there for him -- he ran to Ennis when he fell apart.  I don't imagine that he would give up on Ennis no matter what.  It looked like the face of exasperation, abandonment (again), and wondering what would ever get through to Ennis.  Unfortunately for everyone, it turned out to be Jack's death.  And the message that pounds away from all of this in my mind is ... don't let this happen to you in your own life.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2007, 08:15:39 pm »
I agree with all you've said. Here it is, in all its sad glory, the most magnificent film shot of the 21st century, so far (IMHO):

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2007, 09:51:44 am »
FR, that picture brings me to tears every time.
You are so right, "the most magnificent film shot of the 21st century)
These lyrics to a song I love remind me of this scene And the winds that blow remind me, of what has been, and what can never be.

The scene is so damn heart wrenching. There we see the tenderness Ennis shows for is only love and as he is riding away the look of pur love, contentment and satisfaction on Jacks face. Then we switch and see reality.
What a hard transition. It's like being awakend from the most beautiful dream all warm and cozy by having Ice water trown in your face.
When Ennis wraps his arms around Jack and starts humming I melt every time.

PS I could look at that picture all day.....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:36:43 am by loneleeb3 »
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 01:30:22 am »
That's the problem with the DE: it was too overwhelmingly gorgeous. Which is why it's anathema to so many tasteless fundy Christians and republicans , they dislike the 'real'
<g>

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08:30 am »
it was too overwhelmingly gorgeous
Truer words were never spoken. The fact that these two could capture that feeling of bliss of total tenderness is just amazing. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen on film or n the real world. I could watch that scene for ever. I hate that  it ends like it does though.
The picture FR has posted of jack says it all. The coutnance on his face in that one picture can bring me to tears each time. It's just beautiful!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

chelseagirl

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 07:11:47 am »
First, welcome Chelsea!  I'm very glad to see you join the community!

Second, what is amazing to me is that no matter how much Ennis drives Jack crazy, Jack is still there for him -- he ran to Ennis when he fell apart.  I don't imagine that he would give up on Ennis no matter what.  It looked like the face of exasperation, abandonment (again), and wondering what would ever get through to Ennis.  Unfortunately for everyone, it turned out to be Jack's death.  And the message that pounds away from all of this in my mind is ... don't let this happen to you in your own life.

Thank you for your warm welcome Phillip:

What you said is so true, if this story is not a cautionary tale, then I don't know what is.  When you have love like this keep it, you may not have a chance like it again, and wind up living with the loss and the what ifs.