Author Topic: Why was the Dozy Embrace so sad?  (Read 22514 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Why was the Dozy Embrace so sad?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2007, 08:03:51 pm »
I thought the cut away to the flashback was superbly executed; perhaps Lee could have used a fade to show time movement backward, but I think that would have been too literal. The thrill of realizing the flashback quickly, and the "I got it" rush was wonderful...and very, very foreshadowing. Had the flashback been less subtle, the clouds of ominous things to come would have been too obvious, imo.

Also, the dozy embrace itself, was, to me, sensationally uplifiting, joyous, moving, emotional, and truly male. The manner in which low-key Ennis dominates the embrace and hums to Jack is one of the most endearing 'love scenes' on film. I rate it up there with the end kiss between Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany's. The richness of their singular being is clear. pure wonder.

getting back to subject....does anyone else see the DE as wonderful joy as opposed to sad?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2007, 08:59:55 pm »
'lets all love one another' yeah ok whatever
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2007, 09:18:34 pm »
getting back to subject....does anyone else see the DE as wonderful joy as opposed to sad?

Yes, I see the DE as true love which is wonderful joy... its beautiful, but sad at the same time.   What brings tears to my eyes is Jack watches Ennis ride/drive away for the last time.  The DE is not only love between Ennis and Jack.  i know its the last time Jack and Ennis will ever be together.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2007, 09:21:57 pm »
'lets all love one another' yeah ok whatever

You can take the boy out of NY, but you can't take the NY out of the boy LOL!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2007, 10:31:28 pm »
Yes, I see the DE as true love which is wonderful joy... its beautiful, but sad at the same time.   What brings tears to my eyes is Jack watches Ennis ride/drive away for the last time.  The DE is not only love between Ennis and Jack.  i know its the last time Jack and Ennis will ever be together.

Too bad they didn't know. I can't imagine what guilt Ennis must be going through.
It hurts to think about it.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2007, 11:25:15 pm »
A long time ago I saw a DE video where nthey had synched it to--I'm serious--Blaudonau. Very Viennese, but very good as well.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2007, 08:08:34 am »
I never thought it sad. It is profoundly beautiful. What came afterwards, what we learned afterwards, THAT is sad.

But the DE is beautiful

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:38 am »
I never thought it sad. It is profoundly beautiful. What came afterwards, what we learned afterwards, THAT is sad.

But the DE is beautiful
Thats so true. I guess tha sadness is that that one brief shining moment of happiness. That one glimpse into what could be (or could have been when we see it) Didn't last.
Like I said before, in it's beauty it was warm and comforting, peaceful and serene then we see Enis driving away in his truck. It's like having ice cold water thrown on you when you are laying in your bed warm and safe having the best dream ever.
The embrace itself was was happy but the context we see it is painful!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2007, 08:38:12 am »
Well...The Great Goddess [ Annie Proulx ] did the unthinkable: she used the principles of classic Athenian tragedy and successfully, brilliantly translated them into an English language short story format.

In such a case, like Jack Twist, we take our moments of untrammeled happiness where we find them...and treasure them.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 09:42:10 am »

In such a case, like Jack Twist, we take our moments of untrammeled happiness where we find them...and treasure them.

I think that is the quote of the day!