Author Topic: Hungry Coyote Wanders Into Chicago Sub Shop  (Read 5891 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Hungry Coyote Wanders Into Chicago Sub Shop
« on: April 04, 2007, 05:15:35 pm »
Coyote a cool customer at Chicago sandwich shop

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP)

For one day, at least, the roadrunner was safe. It seems the coyote was hankering for another kind of fast food.

A coyote looks around in a cooler at a
Quizno's Restaurant in Chicago, Illinois,
on Tuesday. The animal lay down in a
cooler stocked with fruit juice and soda.

Employees and customers at a downtown Chicago Quiznos sandwich shop were stunned to see a coyote walk through the propped-open front door Tuesday afternoon and lie down in a cooler stocked with fruit juice and soda.

"It wasn't aggressive at all," restaurant manager Bina Patel told the Chicago Tribune. "It was just looking around."

Employees and customers calmly cleared out of the restaurant, though some took the time to finish their sandwiches and snap some cell-phone photos, the Chicago Sun-Times reported. Animal control officers took the passive coyote away after about 40 minutes, after a curious crowd had gathered outside.

"This one definitely I will definitely remember forever. A coyote in downtown Chicago," Quiznos employee Rick Torres told WLS-TV.

The city captures 10 to 15 coyotes every year, especially in the spring when they are most active, said Anne Kent, director of Chicago Animal Care and Control. Veterinarians will examine the coyote and, if he is not injured, release him into the wild.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Hungry Coyote Wanders Into Chicago Sub Shop
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 06:09:52 pm »
Wow.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:02:11 pm »
Here's a link to another story on the coyote, which includes a video showing it being taken away by Animal Control:

Wily Coyote Wanders Into Loop Sandwich Shop

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 07:05:35 pm by Fran »

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:02:07 pm »
Then there is the kinkajou (sp?) that escaped from the zoo, boarded a bus, rode around with the driver for an hour, and then bit a woman on the face after she decided she could hold it.  And he/she didn't even pay!
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:26:31 pm »
I loved that story!!!  When it broke and I saw a picture like on the OP, I was like, "Aawwwwwww".  Seriously — there's something about the haplessness of the animal that's kind of comical.  He has this expression like, "Here I am . . . WTF do I do now??"

I come from a family of dog owners & we've had several German shepherds (like Jake, heehee).  So you're inclined to have a weakness for canines of all stripes, even the potentially dangerous ones.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:47:55 pm »
Then there is the kinkajou (sp?) that escaped from the zoo, boarded a bus, rode around with the driver for an hour, and then bit a woman on the face after she decided she could hold it.  And he/she didn't even pay!

I didn't hear about this, Phillip. It sounds cute. Isn't a kinkajou a small honey bear?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 08:52:05 pm »
I loved that story!!!  When it broke and I saw a picture like on the OP, I was like, "Aawwwwwww".  Seriously — there's something about the haplessness of the animal that's kind of comical.  He has this expression like, "Here I am . . . WTF do I do now??"

I come from a family of dog owners & we've had several German shepherds (like Jake, heehee).  So you're inclined to have a weakness for canines of all stripes, even the potentially dangerous ones.

I know what you mean Laura. It's especially cute when they wander in and act completely calm and collected. This is beginning to happen more and more. I have many coyotes and deer in my neighborhood. They wander up and down the streets at night. More and more ecotones are created each year as the wilderness continues to disappear and more neighborhoods and urban centers are developed.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:25:45 pm »
I know what you mean Laura. It's especially cute when they wander in and act completely calm and collected. This is beginning to happen more and more. I have many coyotes and deer in my neighborhood. They wander up and down the streets at night. More and more ecotones are created each year as the wilderness continues to disappear and more neighborhoods and urban centers are developed.

I never heard the word "ecotone" before.  Here's from wikipedia:

"An ecotone is a transition area between two adjacent ecological communities (ecosystems). It may appear on the ground as a gradual blending of the two communities across a broad area, or it may manifest itself as a sharp boundary line."

Thanks David!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »
Here's a link to another story on the coyote, which includes a video showing it being taken away by Animal Control:

Wily Coyote Wanders Into Loop Sandwich Shop

I felt bad seeing the coyote being dragged into the van. The poor animal. He was so scared.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:41:22 pm »

Thanks David!

Yeah, who would have ever thought that the west side of Indianapolis (Speedway) would have an ecotone, but it does. Many kinds of animals come out at night and walk the streets; especially coyotes and deers.

My father has the same problem at his house. He lives on the east side of Indianapolis. Ever since they closed Fort Benjamin Harrison (an army base), homes, apartment buildings and shopping centers have been built. This has eliminated much of the natural forests the animals once lived in and occupied. So now, the animals have no where to go and they are forced to walk through the neighborhoods at night in search of food.

It's actually very sad, because the animals always end up enduring the hardships.  :'(

We are quickly running out of room in this country, and the ecotones are evidence of this fact.