Author Topic: Do you try to subtly detect possible Brokies?  (Read 6008 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Do you try to subtly detect possible Brokies?
« on: April 21, 2006, 09:12:11 pm »
I just wrote an email to a friend I hadn't heard from in more than a year. I've been thinking about her lately because I realized that, of all the people I know, she'd be a likely candidate for Brokieism. I have no idea whether she's seen the movie, obviously, but she's kind of romantic and open-minded and movie-loving and has other ineffable qualities that make me think she could be a candidate.

Anyway, because it's been a while since I used her email address and wasn't sure it still worked, I signed off with "drop me a line, say if you're there."

Do you think that if she's a Brokie she'll get it? Even though I spelled "you're" correctly? If she writes back, but doesn't mention Brokeback, of course I'll ask her outright if she's seen it. But I couldn't help testing if she was attuned enough to catch this.

Does anybody else try to sneak those hints into conversation to see what happens? Do you say "tell you what" or  "I swear" or "on the QT" or "putting the blocks to" -- not only because it's fun to incorporate those terms into your vocabulary, but to see if the person you're talking to reacts to them?

Does anybody look for examples of this in print? I just read something (on Slate, I think) that referred to a "one-shot deal" and I almost thought it was secret code until I realized that, if so, the writer would have just said "one-shot thing." So I dismissed that one, but I remain on the lookout. If I see even one word that has that special BBM resonance, I at least wonder. Anyone else this crazy?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Do you try to subtly detect possible Brokies?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:35:50 pm »
:::waving hand frantically:::  Me, me, me!  I'm this crazy!  I do the same kinda stuff.  I find myself saying the following in conversations with acquaintances with whom I haven't yet discussed the movie, "Tell ya what...," "Truth is, ...," and when I'm feeling particularly peckish, "Well, this is a goddamned bitch of an unsatisfactory situation, isn't it?" in the hopes it'll trigger some semi- or subconscious part of their brains that will compel them to say, "Hey, I've been meaning to ask you...  Have you seen...?"  Hasn't worked so far.   :-\
No more beans!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:40:22 pm »
:::waving hand frantically:::  Me, me, me!  I'm this crazy!  I do the same kinda stuff.  I find myself saying the following in conversations with acquaintances with whom I haven't yet discussed the movie, "Tell ya what...," "Truth is, ...," and when I'm feeling particularly peckish, "Well, this is a goddamned bitch of an unsatisfactory situation, isn't it?" in the hopes it'll trigger some semi- or subconscious part of their brains that will compel them to say, "Hey, I've been meaning to ask you...  Have you seen...?"  Hasn't worked so far.   :-\

I'm hysterical.. I do the exact same thing.  I haven't had anyone bite yet either.  A couple of girls I work with saw it, but to them it was just another movie.  Even that annoys me.  I want to ask them what the hell is wrong with them.  Where are your souls?
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:47:44 pm »

I'm hysterical.. I do the exact same thing.  I haven't had anyone bite yet either.  A couple of girls I work with saw it, but to them it was just another movie.  Even that annoys me.  I want to ask them what the hell is wrong with them.  Where are your souls?

Exactly, DeeDee.  Makes me think of Marianne's line to Eleanor in Sense and Sensibility - where is your heart?  Difference is, in the latter case, there was one.
No more beans!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 10:01:56 pm »
Man, a week ago next Sunday, I sat through a whole 1962 "Tosca," because another guest at the Seder (who LOVED "Tosca") had mentioned that he was "a little disappointed" in BBM--I watched "Tosca," I asked intelligent questions about "Tosca," and I expressed intelligent opinions about
Tosca." (and managed to hide the fact that I didn't know it was by Puccini). Then we had a GOOD LONG TALK...

It was worth it! And.."Tosca" wasn't half-bad either (Tibaldi, London, etc).
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 11:42:58 am »
I do add things into converation sometimes yeah... but thats mostly with peeps who know my obsession!!

also.. does anyone else know what "on the QT" actually means!?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 12:48:49 pm »
It means on the Quiet Time or Tip, there's some confusion about the second word. I have so much fun in business meetings because there's one other guy, a friend of mine, who's seen BBM, and we are constantly throwing out lines while the others are totally oblivious. They don't ever suspect, because it's Colorado and everyone talks like that anyway. A couple of people have remarked on how I've started cussing lately, but I tell them it's a midlife thing, which it is. I think BBM's launched me in a full-blown midlife crisis. Bring it on!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 05:08:51 pm »
Just letting ppl know you saw the film twice ( I saw it five times, don't want to push it)  let's ppl know you really liked a movie.   If they nod in agreement, I throw out few more feeders besides the basic what do you think happened to Jack, i.e. it should have won best picture at the A.A, or I WANT TO GO TO ALBERTA and WY and not just to see Yellowstone this summer...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 05:42:25 pm »
I just wrote an email to a friend I hadn't heard from in more than a year. ...  I signed off with "drop me a line, say if you're there."

Here's an update: my friend emailed back and said "Yep." But I don't think that's significant, because my question to her hadn't been, "I'm starving. Wanna get something to eat?" Now, if she'd emailed back, "You bet," I would have been excited!

Oh well. I'm waiting for the day when I drop one of those terms into conversation with a stranger, and then the stranger comes back with the appropriate response, and our eyes meet and we smile at each other and we both know.

Offline Toast

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 05:53:44 pm »
on the QT

QT Adj.   1.   on the quiet
on the quiet - conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods; "clandestine intelligence operations"; "cloak-and-dagger activities behind enemy lines"; "hole-and-corner intrigue"; "secret missions"; "a secret agent"; "secret sales of arms"; "surreptitious mobilization of troops"; "an undercover investigation"; "underground resistance"

I like "secret missions" as a definition.

Jack and Ennis met on the qt.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 12:13:33 pm »
"On the QT" measns secretly, or hushed-up. It was in common useage in the '40s and '50s. Suppose the letters are from the first and last letters of "quiet."

Been afraid to post Aguirre since the last time, when someone said his photo made him/her feel sick to his/her stomach...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 02:01:33 pm »
Yes I do... now that you mention it. I never really realised it till now, but I do.

I'm upset cos a very good guy friend of mine who I thought may be the one straight male I know to like the film has told me he thought it was "crap. Good acting but the plot took too long to go anywhere." At this I was shocked and had to be like "the plot?" because I find that I'm so enrapted by the story, I tend to forget about superficial things like a plot. The worst was I was willing to be like "ok, fine, I understand" but then, after initially saying he didn't want to debate about it, he carried on explaining why it was so crap *grumble grumble* (we're not on the best of terms at the moment cos after that he was horrible about something else).
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 07:32:35 pm »
I just wrote an email to a friend I hadn't heard from in more than a year. ...  I signed off with "drop me a line, say if you're there."

Here's an update: my friend emailed back and said "Yep." But I don't think that's significant, because my question to her hadn't been, "I'm starving. Wanna get something to eat?" Now, if she'd emailed back, "You bet," I would have been excited!

Newest update: My friend wrote back a longer message, in which she said (among other things):
As for Brokeback, I didn't think it was the greatest movie I've ever
seen, although I liked it a lot and see it as a very important movie.

Well, so much for that friendship!

Just kidding. As long as someone says they liked it, I don't hate them. Still, I'm baffled by how anybody can manage not to fall head over heels in love with it.

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 07:43:23 pm »

Newest update: My friend wrote back a longer message, in which she said (among other things):
As for Brokeback, I didn't think it was the greatest movie I've ever
seen, although I liked it a lot and see it as a very important movie.

Well, so much for that friendship!

Just kidding. As long as someone says they liked it, I don't hate them. Still, I'm baffled by how anybody can manage not to fall head over heels in love with it.

My best friend said it was ok and not worth another $8.00 to see it again. GASP!  I could not believe she said that. 

Like you, it amazes me that people don't love it as much as I do or the brokies all around here.  I said this before.. we are kindered spirits on this board.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 09:46:26 pm »
More Britt and Brokeback: Today I was greetied with the information that Jack and Ennis were SPOILED. "SPOILED?" I squeeked--thery're both dirt-poor, have been working since they were 12-14, and Ennis especially hasn't even got a decently fitting or warm jacket to wear...both are responsible and work hard--whadayawant...(so now we have a state full ofr spoiled sexual preditors )his wife and his neice told me to ignore him......same guy gave me my OWN "Capote" that he burned for me, without even being asked...I don't get you...some of you...guys...

Heath and Jake dressed for '63: click to enlarge

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 04:06:22 pm »
That's a very odd thing for someoen to say. Did this person have a Dickenson childhood, dumped on the streets when he was ten or something.

Ennis and Jack have it about as rough as your going to get for rurual poverty, dysfunctional families or non-existent familes, growing up in a part of the USA where economic opportunies were scarce unless you wanted to be a roughneck in the newly opened oil patches. Yeah, I've met a few gay guys who work in the offshore oil industry, so I could have seen Ennis pursue that line of work. Probably that industry was just taking off when Ennis was in his 30's. Much better paying then ranchhand work. THen again, you might lose a finger or two.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 11:27:55 am »
This is still happening!
"chewing gum and duct tape"