Author Topic: Jake's dad  (Read 5344 times)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Jake's dad
« on: April 21, 2006, 09:29:28 pm »
Here's a link to a political and very literate blog by Jake's dad, Stephen.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-gyllenhaal/bushs-nuclear-option_b_19459.html

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 10:40:52 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

moremojo

Re: Jake's dad
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:39:50 pm »
I thought that was interesting that Mr. Gyllenhaal speculates that the Bushites are like "lost boys...dreaming of cowboy movies." They're obviously not dreaming of Brokeback Mountain! That should be required viewing for everyone in that whole dreary administration--hell, it should be mandatory viewing for every person on earth with eyes to see.

I don't see Bush and Co. as intrinsically evil (don't believe in such a thing in regard to human beings), but their actions have clearly wrought great misery and discord, so the effect is ultimately the same; you might call them evil by default.

Scott

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:00:58 pm »
I thought it was an excellent well thought out essay.  I disagree with Mr G on a few of his points but for the most part stand with him on his articulate views.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 11:25:35 pm »
Very articulate article, but it fails to do what my right-wing conservative friends always say liberals fail to do.  Offer a solution to Iran's attempts to build a nuclear industry - a country whose leaders have said they want the destruction of Israel.  My right-wing friends wonder if such compassionate thinking as liberals do will stay their hand from using such weapons if we (the U.S.) fail to stop them.

Like Vickie, I agree with a lot the points made, but some others need addressing and yet still others I disagree with entirely.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 03:50:37 am »
Interesting reading. Is Stephen Gyllenhaal a regular contributor to The Huffington Post? 

Guess I must have missed something in the news as I have not heard anything (even a whisper) on using nuclear option on Iran’s nuclear controversy.  If indeed it's true, then I must say that even a hint of it is absurd.  Have we, as human race, not learned anything from atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? (http://www.gensuikin.org/english/photo.html)

When talk about one country’s nuclear ambition (by that I mean nuclear weapon, not other pursuit of peaceful nuclear technology), one must think about the driving force of such ambition.  I have a hard time to believe that one country will risk anything, even the risk of its entire county being wiped off the face of earth, for the purpose of destroying another county.  This is all about flex your muscle to gain bargaining power, like the nuclear race between India and Pakistan, and North Korea.  And who can blame them?  The most powerful nations in the world have taught them well. Until there is a day when nations can resolve their differences peacefully, when every nations feel that their voices can be heard, when the international politics is about hope, the hope of making people’s life in your country better by cooperating with other nations, not fear for the consequence, you can not stop other nations from wanting to possess nuclear weapons.  The more force one uses to achieve desired results, the more you just strengthen their belief that it’s the only way to gain any ground in the international affair.  I double how much IAEA can do.

I should shut up now.  I need Violet’s invisible shield for protection.  :P

p.s. I always think that Jake gets more of his good look from his dad.  :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 04:25:05 am by JennyC »

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 04:00:07 am »

OMG, I'm so glad someone agrees with me. Becky and Britpopbaby think I'm crazy but now I have someone on my side!

I read the article yesterday. Mr G Sr. made some good points. I'm so happy when people in his position (public pulling power) make a stand for what they believe. Makes me even prouder of the Gyllenhaals. (Btw, I also noticed the cowboy line and laughed).
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:42:46 am »
Guess I must have missed something in the news as I have not heard anything (even a whisper) on using nuclear option on Iran’s nuclear controversy.

I hadn't either.  It doesn't make much sense considering how close to each other all the countries are in that region.  The radiation from Chernobyl spread across entire continents.

If indeed it's true, then I must say that even a hint of it is absurd.  Have we, as human race, not learned anything from atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Guess it depends on who you talk to.  Many people in the U.S. feel the atomic bombings in Japan were justified.

When talk about one country’s nuclear ambition (by that I mean nuclear weapon, not other pursuit of peaceful nuclear technology), one must think about the driving force of such ambition.  I have a hard time to believe that one country will risk anything, even the risk of its entire county being wiped off the face of earth, for the purpose of destroying another county.

I don't believe it either.  I depend heavily on the common sense of the people in charge of these countries.  For all their big talk, nowadays a sovereign nation is a sitting duck.  However, and again, I'm arguing from the POV of my right wing friends (we've argued over this many times before) they ask about Saddam with his ties to terrorist groups or the Taliban led Afghanistan.

Both leaders of sovereign countries, both leaders who 'unofficially' assisted those who would cause nuclear havoc if they could while the leaders of this country could plead innocent.  THEY didn't do anything, some rogue members of their societies did.

This is all about flex your muscle to gain bargaining power, like the nuclear race between India and Pakistan, and North Korea.  And who can blame them?  The most powerful nations in the world have taught them well. Until there is a day when nations can resolve their differences peacefully, when every nations feel that their voices can be heard, when the international politics is about hope, the hope of making people’s life in your country better by cooperating with other nations, not fear for the consequence, you can not stop other nations from wanting to possess nuclear weapons.  The more force one uses to achieve desired results, the more you just strengthen their belief that it’s the only way to gain any ground in the international affair.  I double how much IAEA can do.

Yep, unfortunately power talks and not much else.  Whether it's military or economic power.

We as a world would have to change our entire value system before that will change.  And sadly, I don't see that happening in the near future.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:09:46 pm »
If indeed it's true, then I must say that even a hint of it is absurd.  Have we, as human race, not learned anything from atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Guess it depends on who you talk to.  Many people in the U.S. feel the atomic bombings in Japan were justified.

I agree that many people here feel it was justified.  I am not arguing it was not.  After all it ended the war, saved many from more suffering. What I am saying is that knowing the destructive nature of nuclear weapon in theory is one thing, having to face and come to term with the destruction it caused, and the suffering of humanity is another thing.  My sympathy goes for the innocent people who just became the collateral damage of the war. 

I just wish as human race, we will grow wiser and never have to have another Hiroshima and Nagasaki in our history ever again.

Del, I always like your perspective.  Like your signature line “Truth is an iron bride.”  It fits you well  :). I think most of the people here are opinionated (in a good way), but what so great about CT is people here can engage in discussion with respect and maturity even when there are differences.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 07:35:24 pm by JennyC »

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 06:46:40 pm »

OMG, I'm so glad someone agrees with me. Becky and Britpopbaby think I'm crazy but now I have someone on my side!

I read the article yesterday. Mr G Sr. made some good points. I'm so happy when people in his position (public pulling power) make a stand for what they believe. Makes me even prouder of the Gyllenhaals. (Btw, I also noticed the cowboy line and laughed).

God damn it! Who got Chan on her "Gyllenhaal senior is so hot" band wagon again? Come on I want to know who it was. ::)
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 07:03:44 pm »
My sympathy goes for the innocent people who just became the collateral damage of the war.

War is hell for that very reason.  Why we should avoid it as much as possible.

I just wish as human race, we will grow wiser and never have to have another Hiroshima and Nagasaki in our history ever again.

Amen.  If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.  I look to Europe - field of battle for a couple of world wars and countless other bloody, murderous conflicts and see their modern day reluctance for any war whatsoever, and I can hope.  But unfortunately, Western Europe is a small part of the rest of the world.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 07:25:11 pm »
Del, I know that I can always count on your reply.  :)  Hope you know that I appreciate it.

Yeah, wishes are just wishes.  They are far from reality. 

I went back to check some of my achieved e-mails.  I found that I saved you and rt’s profile links back in Dec.  You two were the first on my Friends list. ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 12:22:46 am by JennyC »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 07:31:30 pm »
Del, I know that I can always count on your reply.  Smiley  Hope you know that I appreciate it.

Wow, thanks Jenny.  I'm just posting when something interesting catches my eye while moseying along through the site everyday.  Glad to know some people appreciate it.  ;D

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 03:54:26 pm »

God damn it! Who got Chan on her "Gyllenhaal senior is so hot" band wagon again? Come on I want to know who it was. ::)

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Bex, I think we're polluting again!
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 09:32:35 pm »

:)  Chan and I are not the only one think so. I got some of my friends to agree to this too.  ;D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 11:58:15 pm »
I c an't see jake's dad';sz talk, b ut the thread isz pretty interesting, anyway.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters