Author Topic: Lords of Dogtown-I made a mistake!  (Read 6086 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Lords of Dogtown-I made a mistake!
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:15:13 am »
Oh, bad mistake! I was trying to broaden my Heath horizons and decided to rent The Lords of Dogtown. If only I could turn back time! To hear Ennis del Mar coming out of the mouth of Skip was just something this Brokie wasn't ready to experience. It's midnight and I have to watch BbM to restore balance to my world.

O0

Heathen

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Lords of Dogtown-I made a mistake!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 03:31:40 am »
Well that's good to know, thanks for the warning.  Something was preventing me from watching this one, but I was seriously considering it.  Now I know that it could mess with a Brokies mind, I'll steer clear.  At least you can take heart that you're mistake was good as a public service!  AC.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:58:43 am »
LOL! That's me! If you loved Heath as Ennis and aren't ready to let that go-don't see anything of his in which he speaks with an American (ish) accent! It will mess with your head.

And why are you still up anyway?!

O0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 12:25:16 pm by RouxB »

Heathen

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 04:40:01 am »
LOL! That's me! If you loved Heath as Jake and aren't ready to let that go-don't see anything of his in which he speaks with an American (ish) accent! It will mess with your head.

And why are you still up anyway?!

He he, no worries.  I think I've pretty much banned myself from watching Heath in anything for a while, I don't seem to have the same problem with Jake though, go figure?

And being in the land of Oz, we're 15 hours (I think) in front of you, thankfully, I need that much of a head start to read all the posts from the day before!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 10:43:43 am »
That's funny, Ruby! I had exactly the opposite reaction -- Lords of Dogtown is the ONLY movie I've been able to watch Heath in since Brokebackl! That might be because I saw it BEFORE I saw BBM and liked it a lot (partly because my sons are skateboarders). I watched it again after BBM and still liked it. I bought the soundtrack of mid-'70s rock and my boys (ages 10 and 11) and I love to crank it up and sing along when we're in the car.

I liked a lot of things about the movie, but the best thing about it is Heath's performance. I'd had my doubts about the casting for BBM when I heard about it, but after seeing LOD, I knew that everything would be OK.

When I watch Heath as Skip Engblom, I forget completely about Heath as Ennis (well, to the extent that I EVER forget completely about Heath as Ennis). The two characters are so different, and Heath looks and acts so different, that you'd hardly know they were played by the same person. Skip is the classic California surfer dude, and Heath just nails him -- he acts and sounds EXACTLY like the guys I've known like that. And his character is poignant, sort of an arrogant washed-up alcoholic loser.

The only similarity I saw between Skip and Ennis is that Skip says "hunh" once or twice.

On the other hand, I know exactly what you mean, Chris, about avoiding other Heath movies. I know I normally would like Casanova, but I can't bring myself to see it. (I have been tempted to rent Monster's Ball, though ...)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 11:15:21 am »

On the other hand, I know exactly what you mean, Chris, about avoiding other Heath movies. I know I normally would like Casanova, but I can't bring myself to see it. (I have been tempted to rent Monster's Ball, though ...)

I actually saw Casanova in the theater--went to see BBM and it was sold out, so my daughter and I watched Casanova instead. Total fluff, and silly, but Heath is cute and we enjoyed it.

Monster's Ball...if you've seen it, you know what's in it. If you haven't...be warned. It almost killed me. As I said on another thread, I had to have a ritual viewing of "A Knight's Tale" to recover.

Leslie
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 02:55:10 pm by lnicoll »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Although I would highly recommend the documentary "Dogtown and Z-boys". It's the story that "Lords of Dogtown" was based on. Just a very compelling story about a group of kids who started the whole skateboarding craze. And for those of us who were kids in the 70's and 80's, it's quite nostalgic as well. A wonderfully told documentary, and no Heath to mess with your head.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 03:11:31 pm »
Although I would highly recommend the documentary "Dogtown and Z-boys". It's the story that "Lords of Dogtown" was based on. Just a very compelling story about a group of kids who started the whole skateboarding craze. And for those of us who were kids in the 70's and 80's, it's quite nostalgic as well. A wonderfully told documentary, and no Heath to mess with your head.

True, Starboardlight. "Z-Boys" was directed by skater-turned-filmmaker Stacy Perralta, who wrote "Lords," and is one of the original skateboarders from Dogtown featured in both films. And as a '70s kid, I agree that both movies are nostalgic and fun and make the '70s look cool for a change.

"Z-Boys" happens to be the only DVD I own (yes, I don't yet own BBM). My 10-year-old son gave it to me for Valentine's Day.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 03:35:32 pm »
How sweet, lat. I gave Z-boys to my 14-yr-old son for Christmas and it was his favorite present. Our garage, which was littered with hockey and lacrosse sticks and scooters, now has skateboards, longboards, homemade boards, misc. trucks, wheels, and hardware, and one prized Alva board. The big gift that my son gave to me was teaching me how to chat! It was a necessity--whenever I would sit down to my home computer, a little white cloud would appear in the top right corner. After about 5 minutes, it would appear again with ??????s in it. Then 5 minutes later, with !!!!!!s and other punctuation. I finally figured out that it was from some girlfriend or other of my son's. Somehow they know when the computer's active and start demand that he IM with them. Finally I figured out how to respond and explain that no Kit was not ignoring him, it was just Kit's mom doing a little surfing of my own. Then I got a lot of ROFLs and LOLs and such.  :)

As for Ennis movies, I'm just waiting for one where he gets on a horse again. Not the Patriot or Four Feathers, that's not the same.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 08:25:56 pm »
I can kind of relate.  I went to watch A Knight's Tale about a month ago on a friend's recommendation.  Couldn't get through it.  I don't know if it was because I wasn't "ready" to see Heath do something else yet or I wasn't ready to see something so totally fluffy yet.  I didn't even get far enough to see who his love interest was - I only made it through about the first 15 minutes.   ???
No more beans!