Author Topic: Full Count, by debutante9 (Kumari)  (Read 7634 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Full Count, by debutante9 (Kumari)
« on: April 07, 2007, 04:57:58 pm »
Kumari, the author of The Wolf and the Thunderbird, Camden Yards and Bellwether/Ronin started a new one. I haven't read it yet, but all her fics are amazing so I'm sure this one will be, too.

Author's description: Ennis is a sports writer at the New York Times. He has been assigned a story in which a major league baseball player comes out of the closet.

Chapter 1 http://debutante9.livejournal.com/12137.html
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
Re: Full Count, by debutante9 (Kumari)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:39:09 am »
Thanks for the heads up - she always has such original storylines and her writing is  top-notch. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:59:42 pm »
I started this one (where will this all end?!) even though I made a promise to myself to read some of the older finished stories first. But-it's Kumari so what could I do?  ;D

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:26:53 pm »
I know, right? How can you resist a Kumari fic? I don't care how many she writes and how long it takes to update, I will read whatever she puts out there.

This one is really original among fan fics, too, IMO. It has an Ennis that is seemingly comfortable with his sexuality (but still Ennis) and who has a boyfriend who seems like a really good guy, so it's not going to be so easy to see him leave the new boyfriend for Jack because I acutally like the new boyfriend. That's pretty ballsy on a fan fic writer's part.

And, as always, Kumari has rock solid dialogue. She's got the kind of dialogue I read in published writers and wish to god I could emulate. It's that realistic/surreal style (if that makes any sense at all).

Plus, kudos to Kumari for useing the phrase "everyone's sucking on the CrackBerry" in a fic, LOL!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:17:54 pm »
Crackberry! She sure can turn a phrase! I still chuckle to myself over chapter 5 of Ronin and the whole bad Heath-baby rampage.

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:08 am »
Chapter 1 was a GAS!  I've been up with a dead cow all night, so I haven't read chapter two yet (just posted yesterday, I think).

Boy, can she write!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 12:51:31 pm »
This was recommended recently in the Recs thread and Chapter 4 is up! (Kumari states in her Author's Notes:  This is going to be a shortish story, not a lot of chapters.

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/14839.html

SPOILER

This story is wonderfully unique and well-written.  Here's a little sampling:

.....“No, it was never a game, not to me. Sometimes it was like you were in the relationship by yourself, making up shit for the two of us to say, like a script. I was just being myself during all those wild times we had and I thought I could do that with you. That was me then, this is me now. You interested?"

Ennis scowled and threw his hands in the air. “I’m always interested in you, unfortunately.”

Jack took a step forward. “Are you?”

“Yes…but…ugh! Fuck you, Jack! What do you want? I have a boyfriend, and it’s good, my life is good.”

“Good is good enough? I can do better than good.”  ......

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:35:58 pm »
I looooooved the latest chapter.... I adore the little details she puts in the story and the minute observations! I even liked the sex between Carson and Ennis! Now how did that happen?  :laugh:

Anyway, whaddayathink? Is this one gonna have a happy ending? I seriously doubt it somehow!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »
SPOILERS

I looooooved the latest chapter.... I adore the little details she puts in the story and the minute observations! I even liked the sex between Carson and Ennis! Now how did that happen?  :laugh:

Anyway, whaddayathink? Is this one gonna have a happy ending? I seriously doubt it somehow!

Yes, minute observations .... I like the way you put that.  Oh yeah, Ennis and Carson were seriously hot together, weren't they?  ;D  And Carson is a great guy - very likeable.  And I like that he's a great guy.  I think it adds a lot of depth to the story.  I'm not sure about a happy ending for this one either.....I can see it going either way.   

(I could be wrong....but I think CY should be next in her "rotation."  (If she goes in order, that is!)

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:21:36 pm »
SPOILERS

Yes, minute observations .... I like the way you put that.  Oh yeah, Ennis and Carson were seriously hot together, weren't they?  ;D  And Carson is a great guy - very likeable.  And I like that he's a great guy.  I think it adds a lot of depth to the story.  I'm not sure about a happy ending for this one either.....I can see it going either way.   

(I could be wrong....but I think CY should be next in her "rotation."  (If she goes in order, that is!)

Marie

Yeah, they were def. hot together, and it really is the first time I think that about Ennis (or Jack for that matter) together with somebody else. I like him a lot too, he is not the sterotype boring guy who is just not the one for Ennis... he is a multi-layered character.

Oh yes, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the update for FC! Hahaha...

yb

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 01:37:32 am »
I can't tell you how much I like this story.  I like Carson, too, but Ennis is just not in it totally especially now that he's had contact with Jack again, I really doubt he could push Jack away again like before.  I feel that Ennis was using the sex to compensate for his reluctance to agree to go to Cooperstown with Carson and to tell himself that he's perfectly happy in this relationship, and I do feel Carson was suspicious of that as well; but of course he could not resist an advancing Ennis.

Now that we know more about Jack's background, I am waiting to learn about Ennis' - why did he think he didn't deserve Jack?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:15 pm »
Hey, look what's up!

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/15825.html

Here's what Kumari says:

Notes for this chapter: This is a scene that doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. It's a flashback of when Jack and Ennis first met, very short.

Trust me, it fits.  Whatever she wants to call it - I call it awesome. And Jack and I share a favorite cookie!  :D  I'm excited (and a little embarrassed at how happy that makes me LOL!)

Marie

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 01:48:54 pm »
And Jack and I share a favorite cookie!  :D  I'm excited (and a little embarrassed at how happy that makes me LOL!)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*off to read*

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 05:03:54 pm »
Hey, isn't it time for a new chapter?

::)

;D

yb

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 03:49:37 am »
Hey, isn't it time for a new chapter?

::)

;D

I know you've put this on several threads, but I second this one the most.  I've been waiting for an update of Full Count for ... well ... seems like forever.  By Kumari's usual practice, she should have one update out soon, I hope it will be Full Count.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 01:27:26 pm »
New chapter is up!! :)  .....

http://debutante9.livejournal.com/21173.html

.....and it's terrific!  It's always refreshing to witness honest, adult behavior - as well as honest, raw emotions.  So well done.

Careful readers will note a nifty little almost cameo appearance by a Camden Yards character!  A nice little nod it is - and very encouraging to know CY is on her mind!

Marie