Author Topic: Travel to Norway? Any Advice??  (Read 2333 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Travel to Norway? Any Advice??
« on: April 07, 2007, 05:53:54 pm »
I'd like to take my sweetie on a trip to Norway, maybe even later this year at the end of Summer.  But I don't know the best way to go about it.  It seems expensive as hell to fly to directly from the USA, but there must be some other way.  (Fly to Frankfurt & take a train the rest of the way or something?)  There seem to be many options, all of which are pretty pricey.  Does anyone have any insight to help me cut through the clutter? 

Any would be totally appreciated!!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Travel to Norway? Any Advice??
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:57:26 pm »
I'll ask my brother-in-law, he used to live in Oslo for several years.

I think we have a Norwegian BetterMostian, and Boris, who's coming to the BBQ, is from Denmark.

Sounds like an adventure a'brewing!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:08:17 pm »
Laura,

We spent two weeks touring Norway in the summer of 2005. I would love to share travel tips...please feel free to ask away.

One thing I will say upfront, Norway and the rest of the countries of Scandinavia are very very expensive. Like, $12 for a glass of wine in a restaurant. $5 for a bottle of water in the store. A lunch of two hamburgers and two beers (one beer each) could cost $55 (that's what it cost us, in Bergen). Getting there might be expensive, but once you are there, be prepared to open your wallet and pour out money.

That said, Norway was beautiful, the people are friendly, and everyone speaks English. I would definitely go back.

We had a car (we bought our car in Trollhatten, Sweden) so I didn't have any experience with public transportation in Norway.

Where would you be traveling from? A few years ago, we got a very good fare on SAS from Newark, NJ to Stockholm (direct flight). You could then take a train from Arlanda (the airport near Stockholm) to Oslo. I believe they have high speed trains that make that trip.

Let me know what else I can tell you...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:39:29 am »
I haven't been to Norway, Laura, but I have been to Sweden and Denmark. Both of those countries are amazingly beautiful. And Leslie is correct. Scandinavia is VERY expensive, but in my opinion it is very much worth the extra money.  :D

I really do hope you make it over there. I'm sure you will enjoy it. The Scandinavian people are very friendly; especially in Denmark. I only have good things to say about Denmark. It is a beautiful and absolutely charming country.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:12:28 pm »
If you are looking to save money with accommodations, perhaps look into youth hostels. Despite their name there are few countries that have age restrictions.