Author Topic: Should Brokeback Mountain be on AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time?  (Read 9520 times)

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
If you say the answer is Yes, then go to AFI's website, login or register, download the ballott and VOTE! WE are the ones who get to decide this time what the 100 greatest films of all time are!

www.afi.com

I was so happy to find this out I had to come share it. I don't know if anyone else mentioned it or posted about it, but here you go!
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Should Brokeback Mountain be on AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:45:02 pm »
Rebelwithsadness tells us that the update to this list will be out very shortly and BBM should be in it!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 05:55:20 pm »
If you say the answer is Yes, then go to AFI's website, login or register, download the ballott and VOTE! WE are the ones who get to decide this time what the 100 greatest films of all time are!

Unless I'm misunderstanding, we get to vote but it looks to me like they have an "official jury of experts" who will make the real decision.

http://connect.afi.com/site/PageServer?pagename=100register_landing

Which is fine with me, actually. I trust experts much more than I trust the general public, especially when it comes to Brokeback Mountain. For example, BBM is NOT among the top 250 movies at IMDb, largely because vapid teenage boys with too much time on their hands get all their loserish friends to rate it 1 on a 1-10 scale. BBM has a lot of 10s, but also a huge amount of 1s, for that reason.

Some idiot boasted on the imdb BBM board lately about actually having done this, to lower the film's average imdb rating from 7.9 to 7.8. My response was, who puts any faith in a rating system that can be so easily manipulated by a stupid teenage prank?

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:16:09 pm »
My response was, who puts any faith in a rating system that can be so easily manipulated by a stupid teenage prank?
Quite so. Along the same lines, I was once invited on IMDb (don't remember by whom; not sure if they made it over here) to rate the film a 10 repeated times precisely to counteract that puerile sabotage. I declined, because I felt that that, in its way, was just as unfortunate, in that it was abusing this blind spot of IMDb's system, and thus artificially skewering the resulting data.

IMDb, we have since learned, has lots of problems that are unlikely to be rectified by its overburdened or apathetic administrators.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 06:29:49 pm »
Well, it certainly deserves to be.
Never before has a movie touched me the way this one has.
It is in my psyche, it has become p[art of my everyday life.
The characters portryaed have become real to me.
No, not in a wierd Donnie Darko/Frank sort of way.
But they have rocked me to my core.
No film has ever come close to doing that ever.
I have to say, I love movies. Ecspecially old ones.
Up till now, To Kill a Mockingbird has been my favorite.
After seeing BBM, it's a distant second!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 06:55:16 pm »
Up till now, To Kill a Mockingbird has been my favorite.
After seeing BBM, it's a distant second!

My next favorite movie, whatever it is, occupies, like, No. 11 on my list. The top 10 are all reserved for BBM!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 07:44:25 pm »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.afi.com

I was so happy to find this out I had to come share it. I don't know if anyone else mentioned it or posted about it, but here you go!

i CANT FIND ANYWHERE TO VOTE FOR ANYTHING.. It says it has a panel to make those decisions.
  I keep thinking like you Katherine, I remember these are the same people that choose american idol and knocked Chris Daugherty off in fifth place last year...  And picked Ronald Reagan as the greatest american of all.  Lame kids, and silly idiots...let the so called experts do it....
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 07:49:59 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline cathyinaz

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:24 am »
Any list of the top hundred movies of all time that doesn't have BBM somewhere on it is just so much bull crap. I couldn't find a way to vote but will forever ignore this list in the future if BBM is not listed on it when posted.

I have ignored the Academy Awards ever since one of the the best movies ever was skipped for safe mediocrity by homophobes.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »
I'm watching and keeping track right now.

Here is the countdown so far.

#100.  Ben Hur
#99.   Toy Story
#98.   Yankee Doodle Dandy
#97.   Blade Runner
#96.   Do The Right Thing
#95.   The Last Picture Show
#94.   Pulp Fiction
#93.   The French Connection
#92.   Goodfellas
#91.   Sophie's Choice
#90.   Swing Time
#89.   The Sixth Sense
#88.   Bringing Up Baby
#87.   12 Angry Men
#86.   Platoon
#85.   A Night At The Opera
#84.   Easy Rider
#83.   Titanic
#82.   Sunrise
#81.   Spartacus
#80.   The Apartment
#79.   The Wild Bunch
#78.   Modern Times
#77.   All The President's Men
#76.   Forrest Gump
#75.   In The Heat Of The Night
#74.   The Silence Of The Lambs
#73.   Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

Updated

#72.   The Shawshank Redemption
#71.   Saving Private Ryan
#70.   A Clockwork Orange
#69.   Tootsie
#68.   Unforgiven
#67.   Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
#66.   Raiders Of The Lost Ark
#65.   The African Queen
#64.   Network
#63.   Cabaret

Updated

#62.   American Grafitti
#61.   Sullivan's Travels
#60.   Duck Soup
#59.   Nashville
#58.   The Gold Rush
#57.   Rocky
#56.   Jaws
#55.   North By Northwest
#54.   M*A*S*H
#53.   The Deer Hunter
#52.   Taxi Driver
#51.   West Side Story

Well, it's over for Brokeback.  In the last commercial break, they said they would be showing the newest and oldest movies on the list back to back....

Update....

#50.   Lord Of The Rings-FellowShip Of The Ring
#49.   Intolerance
#48.   Rear Window
#47.   A Streetcar Named Desire
#46.   It Happened One Night
#45.   Shane
#44.   The Philedelphia Story
#43.   Midnight Cowboy
#42.   Bonnie & Clyde

LOTR came out in 2001, if it's the newest movie, Brokeback (2005) won't be on the list.

Update

#41.   King Kong 1933
#40.   The Sound Of Music
#39.   Dr. StrangeLove
#38.   The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
#37.   The Best Years Of Our Lives
#36.   The Bridge On The River Kwai
#35.   Annie Hall

Updated

#34.   Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs
#33.   One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
#32.   The Godfather Part 2
#31.   The Maltese Falcon
#30.   Apocolypse Now
#29.   Double Indemnity
#28.   All About Eve
#27.   High Noon

Update

#26.   Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
#25.   To Kill A Mockingbird
#24.   E.T. the Extra Terrestrial
#23.   The Grapes Of Wrath
#22.   Some Like It Hot
#21.   Chinatown
#20.   It's A Wonderful Life

Update

#19.   On The Waterfront
#18.   The General
#17.   The Graduate
#16.   Sunset Blvd.
#15.   2001:  A Space Odyssey
#14.   Psycho (1960)
#13.   Star Wars
#12.   The Searchers
#11.   City Lights

Update

#10.   The Wizard Of Oz   
#09.   Vertigo
#08.   Schindler's List
#07.   Lawrence of Arabia
#06.   Gone With The Wind
#05.   Singing In The Rain
#04.   Raging Bull
#03.   Casablanca

Final Update

#02.   The GodFather
#01.   Citizen Kane
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:56:19 pm by CellarDweller »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 11:14:39 pm »
Heya Bud!

Thanks for posting the list!  I watched up until the Lord of the Rings and then I turned the TV off (having noted their announcement about the newest and oldest).  Of course I'm sad to see that Brokeback isn't on the list yet.  But, I'm sure it will be some day.  Maybe it's still just too new to be on the list yet.  But, I have no doubt that it will be very well placed on the list as the impact of the film continues to be felt and as they continue to revise the list.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 06:03:27 am »
Not gonna discect the whole list but...

Schindler's List and Raging Bull in the top 10 - Gimme a break!

Also note that 2 of the top 10 are from the same year 1939: The Wizzard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:58:23 am »
THE SIX SENSE made the list?? Couldn't believe it.  Of course, it was popular.  >:( FRANKENSTEIN was removed? I think it was a far more influential film then THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean Boris Karloff verses Bruce Willis. Get real. 

SINGING IN THE RAIN #5. That's preposterous.  >:(

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:02:25 am »
THE SIX SENSE made the list?? Couldn't believe it.  Of course, it was popular.  >:( FRANKENSTEIN was removed? I think it was a far more influential film then THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean Boris Karloff verses Bruce Willis. Get real. 

SINGING IN THE RAIN #5. That's preposterous>:(

I agree! hunderd percent! Shoulda been higher!!

I know you didn't mean THAT, but I did! It's an underated bit of powerful entertainment.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:45:17 am »
I know you didn't mean THAT, but I did! It's an underated bit of powerful entertainment.

Well, I'm sure we could argue quite a bit over some of the choices. For example, I believe "Schindler's List" should be on there, and fairly high up.

And I'm willing to accept a lot of the ones on the list as being in the top 100, even if I'm not that crazy about them. Most of them are classics. But surely most of us can agree that any list that does not include Brokeback Mountain should NOT include movies like:

Blade Runner
Swing Time (?!?)
The Sixth Sense
Titanic
Forrest Gump (I'll probably get some disagreement there, but I really disliked that movie)

I mean, obviously I think BBM should be No. 1. But I could accept seeing it anywhere in the top 10. I wouldn't even complain if it were in the top 50. A ranking between 50 and 100 would seem ridiculous to me, but OK.

But not to make the list at all?! And Swing Time DOES??! That's just absurd.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:13:08 am »
I thoroughly agree that Titanic and Forrest Gump don't seem to deserve being on the list (at least personally, I didn't like either film at all).

I'm curious about the cut-off in terms of date.  I mean, is the Lord of the Rings really the best most-recent movie?  I mean it's a good movie, and it's fine with me that it's on the list.  But, nothing later than that is on the list (obviously including the omission of BBM)?  I find that odd.
 ???
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 11:22:27 am »
OMG!
What A fuckin joke!
Toy Story? Do the right thing?
Come on! Who the hell came up with this list?
Some of the choices on there are just ridiculous.
Whatever, we should have known. After what happened at the oscars who's suprised.
But seriously geez. Some of those are so stupid!
Blade Runner? I fell asleep!
ET and the Sixth sense were entertaining but come on!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:24:03 am »
Consolation Prize:

Midnight Cowboy #43
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 11:45:01 am »
You know, I think that this list will be updated again in 10 years. Of course everything on it is older because they are viewed as classics. Classics will always generate more applause than something newer and less tradtional. For example, of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I would say that The Return of the King and The Two Towers were both far superior to the first one, The Fellowship of the Ring. Of course, the first one introduced the concepts and conflicts that the other two films resolve, and if I had to suggest one of the three, I would suggest Return of the King.

The fact that Midnight Cowboy is on the list indicates to me that it's not because people were opposed to the ideas present in Brokeback Mountain, only that it has not yet reached a classic mentality in most of the people that have seen it. I'm sorry, folks, but as a society, we're still digesting. The majority of people realize it was a very important film; we're just not certain what shelf to put it on yet.  That's okay. Over time, people will realize the grand artistic measures of this film (some people saw it immediately, even some very important people) and the list will be redrawn.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »
I think a movie in the top 5 should not be just about entertainment.  Gone With The Wind did show the horrors of war. THe center character may have been a spoiled vixen at the beginning but she got some lessons in life throughout the movie.  If only she had "quit" Ashley.  ;)

I think AFI did a better job with best movie quotes.  It aired  awhile back. They ranked the top 100.  "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" was ranked #1. 

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:54:03 pm »
I too am very disappointed, but not surprised, that BBM did not make the top 100. However, like most lists, this one is only as good as those voting. We saw that in the Oscars, right? I have more to say about what BBM did that these other movies did not do, but that will be more lengthy than what I can write right now. However, sorry to those who did not like them, but Titanic is one of my favorite movies of all time and there is a lot more there than just a ship sinking and a love affair. There are many social commentaries and deeper meanings within Titanic. Actually I didn't think about Forrest Gump until someone mentioned not thinking it should have been in there. This was a movie that I did not see until several years after it came out. Sorry, but I also think it is quite a good movie and worthy of being in the top 100.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 05:12:43 pm »
I think the discussion in this thread alone shows how difficult it is to find any sort of concensus concerning "best", "top" and "highest quality". To give a few examples contradicting others' opinions here: As a long time Lord of the Rings fan I was absolutely *thrilled* to see that it was the first of the 3 LotR films that made this list. Fellowship in my opinion, and that of many of my fan friends, is far superior to the next two, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that acknowledged here. (This ran contrary to the Oscars, which heaped all the honours on Return of the King probably as reward for the entire trilogy.) And I was also delighted to see Blade Runner on the list. it's an outstanding dark SF, but not the kind of film that necessarily gets honoured on lists like this.

Yep, there sure are differeing views even among our small Brokie group. :)

And that's why I'm not overly concerned that BBM didn't make this list. (Though of course I think it should have been ranked near the top!!) Tastes and points of view differ so much, between people, between cultures, over time. That list is not the final gospel. Not even as far as English-spoken films go, this European would hasten to add.  ;)

I also think Daniel is very right in pointing out that this kind of ranking is very much about classics. Some of the films on that list, inclusive of Citizen Kane IMO, not to mention "Some like it hot" must earn their place on the "Well, it's a classic!!" merit.  Something tells me BBM will become a classic too, in time. It's too outstanding not to, once the subject matter (one would hope) is not so controversial in the US anymore.  It'll make those lists in the end. But hopefully, lots of people will fall in love with it even before it reaches that point.

moremojo

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 05:15:10 pm »
The list is absurd, if for no other reason than that it is way, WAY too Anglo and American-oriented in its results. The American cinema is unquestionably one of the greatest and most important of national cinemas, but it is hardly the sum of the best that has been produced in the medium. No French films, for goodness sakes? No Japanese films? Yasujiro Ozu was one the greatest of all film directors, and would definitely have been represented in any truly serious compendium. Historically important movements such as Italian neorealism and the the Soviet montage movement are likewise slighted. I could go on, but the list's cultural and intellectual paucity is sufficiently evident.

I would much rather see the individual lists of the contributors rather than the collated results, which inevitably reflects the status quo rather than the idiosyncratic avenues that the individual choices often reveal.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 05:58:11 pm »
I think Daniel sums it up the best!
There are as many different opinions as there are people as Mikaela so eloquently pointed out.
It just bothers me that there was no mention. This movie/story has touched me in a way nothing ever has.
No painting, song, movie or any work of art.
I don't want to sound too goofy here, but BBM is ....I don't know, almost magical. It slapped me in the face and showed me what my life is, what it could have been and what I can now make of it. It took away any excuses that I have been hiding behind all these years. For me, it is so much more than just a movie,a work of art or fiction. For me it is a signpost in life pointing me in the direction i need to be going.
For me it is on the level of some relgous icon or text that brings about an epiphany. Paul had a Damascus road conversion that changed his life, mine happened on Brokeback Mountain!

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 06:07:28 pm »
BBM is ....I don't know, almost magical. It slapped me in the face and showed me what my life is, what it could have been and what I can now make of it. It took away any excuses that I have been hiding behind all these years. For me, it is so much more than just a movie,a work of art or fiction. For me it is a signpost in life pointing me in the direction i need to be going.
For me it is on the level of some relgous icon or text that brings about an epiphany. Paul had a Damascus road conversion that changed his life, mine happened on Brokeback Mountain!

You know.... if they're the people I would like to believe them to be, then Proulx, Ossana, McMurtry, Lee, Ledger and Gyllenhaal all would consider this one statement alone much more valuable than the good opinion of some blazé group of film know-it-alls.   :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 05:36:48 am »
You know.... if they're the people I would like to believe them to be, then Proulx, Ossana, McMurtry, Lee, Ledger and Gyllenhaal all would consider this one statement alone much more valuable than the good opinion of some blazé group of film know-it-alls.   :)

Amen!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 03:10:58 pm »
I really had no idea if Brokeback would be within the AFI Top 100 Movies of All Time. Quite honestly, I did not think it would be, but all the way up to number 1 I did keep watching and hoping. Of course, I would have thought I had landed on another planet if Brokeback would have been announced the #1 movie. Although, in my mind, and I know in so many other people's minds there is no other movie that has ever had this type of impact. If I am wrong about that someone please correct me. The quote from loneleeb3 cannot be better expressed by me. That quote is:
"BBM is ....I don't know, almost magical. It slapped me in the face and showed me what my life is, what it could have been and what I can now make of it. It took away any excuses that I have been hiding behind all these years. For me, it is so much more than just a movie,a work of art or fiction. For me it is a signpost in life pointing me in the direction i need to be going."

I think so many of us feel this same exact way. There are other movies I like, but more in an entertainment way, not in a life awakening and changing way like Brokeback. I never meant for Brokeback to leave that kind of impression on me. When I first saw it, I had no idea that I would be a different person at the end of the movie. I had no idea that the movie would bring out emotions in me that I never knew I had. I had no idea that words, music or anything else from the move would continue to this day to bring tears to me. I thought it was just going to be a movie and that was all. I had no idea that suddenly I would be out buying everything Brokeback, reading about everything Brokeback, finding out everything I could about Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as well as Annie and everyone else involved in the book and movie, and the list goes on.

I certainly had no idea I would end up with friends from all over the United States and the World who felt the same impact as I did from Brokeback. What then becomes amazing is that the people who I have met and talked with are really not the same type of people who I have known as friends before. There is a distinct quality to all of the Brokies I know of and that is regardless of what forum they happen to belong to. There is an acceptance of people for who they are regardless of what that may be. There is an openness to thoughts and to other people's ideas. There is not hostility when someone expresses a differing viewpoint. Even if there is a misunderstanding of some type it seems that whatever that was just drifts away quickly with the type of feeling of whatever caused it is not worth thinking about anymore. Those types of bonds and friendships are quite unusual. At least in my life they are and I would be willing to bet there are several people reading this right now who feel the same. There certainly is not a certain sexual orientation that is the main part of this group since we are well represented male and female, gay and straight. I am well aware that we do not have a lot of straight male open Brokies, but that may be more of a societal issue. Closet Brokies, what a concept  :D I don't know really know about that one. It does not appear that we have a lot of gay female Brokies; however, I am completely uncertain about that and if that is the case I have no idea why that would be.

Something that comes to mind is the roadtrip at the BBQ. We had 18 people (I think that is the number) all embarked on a two day non stop journey through Wyoming. The round trip mileage from what I remember Fritz saying was over 1200 miles. All 18 of us completely and totally had to be around each other and put up with each other constantly. You sure don't want to get lost in Wyoming  :) All kinds of things happened to us, but we had fun and nobody choked anyone even during the bed hoping  :o Anything that would fray anyone's nerves, which did happen a couple of times I know, all seemed to become just part of the memories and fun. The bond we had only became stronger and as far as I know we are all close friends. I'm sure of that and that goes for everyone who was at the BBQ. We became two groups for a couple of days, but that sure was a good reunion at the Double Tree when the entire group came back together. For those on the roadtrip, I'm not so sure how we would do on Survivor since I don't know of anyone I would want to vote off the island (road)  ;)

So it appears I have drifted from my original topic, but in reality I am presenting how this movie has affected so many of us and what this movie has also brought into our lives such as the many good times and friendships. So now we have to look at the AFI List and find what other movies did this. Can anyone think of any?

Oh no, Jack's first long post on Bettermost............

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 05:26:56 pm »
I wouldn't compare the two films in terms of quality, but one other title that immediately comes to mind as being comparable to Brokeback Mountain in the positive hold it can have over fans' lives is The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The film was widely despised by the critics upon initial release, and failed at the boxoffice during its brief run, but struck a deep chord among the few who responded to it with appreciation.

The film eventually went on to become the definitive Midnight Movie, and the rituals surrounding the regular screenings have become even more famous than the film itself. Many of the participants have conveyed dislike or apathy for the actual movie, attending the screenings for the fun of being in the audience, but they seem to forget that there wouldn't be a cult in the first place if some hadn't appreciated the film on its own terms, and embraced and cherished it. I have heard of some fans describing The Rocky Horror Picture Show as a life experience similar to the feelings expressed by so many of us who have been touched by Brokeback Mountain.

For the record, I would not include (as I would Brokeback Mountain) The Rocky Horror Picture Show in a list of the 100 best films, despite my enduring and nostalgic affection for it.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:40 pm »

So it appears I have drifted from my original topic, but in reality I am presenting how this movie has affected so many of us and what this movie has also brought into our lives such as the many good times and friendships. So now we have to look at the AFI List and find what other movies did this. Can anyone think of any?

Oh no, Jack's first long post on Bettermost............

You'll hardly hear me complaining about long posts. That sure enough would be the pot calling the kettle black!  ;D

To your question, and without re-reading the list of films, I would immediately think of Fellowship of the Ring and Star Wars. Both have big fandoms where people have made lasting friendships from around the world, and fans have found strong common interests, have found their own voice and ways of expressing themselves, have had good times and lots of fun as well as most serious discussions.

I do not think it's very worthwhile or meaningful to rank any one of the "fandom" films as more "worthy" than the other... Certainly one can judge the filmatic merits, but there's so much more to it. We are all of us different and different things trigger our interest and devotion. It's good that there are such different (but overall good) films to fire the spark in different people.

That said, and though I also am and remain a serious LotR fan, I do rank BBM as the number one film for me. You bet.  :)