Author Topic: Should Brokeback Mountain be on AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time?  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Should Brokeback Mountain be on AFI's Top 100 Movies of All Time?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 06:03:27 am »
Not gonna discect the whole list but...

Schindler's List and Raging Bull in the top 10 - Gimme a break!

Also note that 2 of the top 10 are from the same year 1939: The Wizzard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:58:23 am »
THE SIX SENSE made the list?? Couldn't believe it.  Of course, it was popular.  >:( FRANKENSTEIN was removed? I think it was a far more influential film then THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean Boris Karloff verses Bruce Willis. Get real. 

SINGING IN THE RAIN #5. That's preposterous.  >:(

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:02:25 am »
THE SIX SENSE made the list?? Couldn't believe it.  Of course, it was popular.  >:( FRANKENSTEIN was removed? I think it was a far more influential film then THE SIXTH SENSE. I mean Boris Karloff verses Bruce Willis. Get real. 

SINGING IN THE RAIN #5. That's preposterous>:(

I agree! hunderd percent! Shoulda been higher!!

I know you didn't mean THAT, but I did! It's an underated bit of powerful entertainment.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:45:17 am »
I know you didn't mean THAT, but I did! It's an underated bit of powerful entertainment.

Well, I'm sure we could argue quite a bit over some of the choices. For example, I believe "Schindler's List" should be on there, and fairly high up.

And I'm willing to accept a lot of the ones on the list as being in the top 100, even if I'm not that crazy about them. Most of them are classics. But surely most of us can agree that any list that does not include Brokeback Mountain should NOT include movies like:

Blade Runner
Swing Time (?!?)
The Sixth Sense
Titanic
Forrest Gump (I'll probably get some disagreement there, but I really disliked that movie)

I mean, obviously I think BBM should be No. 1. But I could accept seeing it anywhere in the top 10. I wouldn't even complain if it were in the top 50. A ranking between 50 and 100 would seem ridiculous to me, but OK.

But not to make the list at all?! And Swing Time DOES??! That's just absurd.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:13:08 am »
I thoroughly agree that Titanic and Forrest Gump don't seem to deserve being on the list (at least personally, I didn't like either film at all).

I'm curious about the cut-off in terms of date.  I mean, is the Lord of the Rings really the best most-recent movie?  I mean it's a good movie, and it's fine with me that it's on the list.  But, nothing later than that is on the list (obviously including the omission of BBM)?  I find that odd.
 ???
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 11:22:27 am »
OMG!
What A fuckin joke!
Toy Story? Do the right thing?
Come on! Who the hell came up with this list?
Some of the choices on there are just ridiculous.
Whatever, we should have known. After what happened at the oscars who's suprised.
But seriously geez. Some of those are so stupid!
Blade Runner? I fell asleep!
ET and the Sixth sense were entertaining but come on!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:24:03 am »
Consolation Prize:

Midnight Cowboy #43
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 11:45:01 am »
You know, I think that this list will be updated again in 10 years. Of course everything on it is older because they are viewed as classics. Classics will always generate more applause than something newer and less tradtional. For example, of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I would say that The Return of the King and The Two Towers were both far superior to the first one, The Fellowship of the Ring. Of course, the first one introduced the concepts and conflicts that the other two films resolve, and if I had to suggest one of the three, I would suggest Return of the King.

The fact that Midnight Cowboy is on the list indicates to me that it's not because people were opposed to the ideas present in Brokeback Mountain, only that it has not yet reached a classic mentality in most of the people that have seen it. I'm sorry, folks, but as a society, we're still digesting. The majority of people realize it was a very important film; we're just not certain what shelf to put it on yet.  That's okay. Over time, people will realize the grand artistic measures of this film (some people saw it immediately, even some very important people) and the list will be redrawn.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »
I think a movie in the top 5 should not be just about entertainment.  Gone With The Wind did show the horrors of war. THe center character may have been a spoiled vixen at the beginning but she got some lessons in life throughout the movie.  If only she had "quit" Ashley.  ;)

I think AFI did a better job with best movie quotes.  It aired  awhile back. They ranked the top 100.  "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" was ranked #1. 

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:54:03 pm »
I too am very disappointed, but not surprised, that BBM did not make the top 100. However, like most lists, this one is only as good as those voting. We saw that in the Oscars, right? I have more to say about what BBM did that these other movies did not do, but that will be more lengthy than what I can write right now. However, sorry to those who did not like them, but Titanic is one of my favorite movies of all time and there is a lot more there than just a ship sinking and a love affair. There are many social commentaries and deeper meanings within Titanic. Actually I didn't think about Forrest Gump until someone mentioned not thinking it should have been in there. This was a movie that I did not see until several years after it came out. Sorry, but I also think it is quite a good movie and worthy of being in the top 100.