Author Topic: You think of joy, purpose & fullfillment, in Ennis's, Jack's or someone elses ??  (Read 11410 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
At times, you did, still do or will think about the Brokeback Mountain Movie concerning:
joy, purpose & fullfillment, in Ennis's, Jack's or someone elses in that film ??

I will be happy to get your comments,

hugs!!

chelseagirl

Jack came closeest to the idea of all you listed.   But he never got close enough.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
I thnk the only joy, purpose and fulfillment the boys ever got was when they were together on their sacred mountain. The rest of their life was just somthin to get through until they could be together again.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

Thnaks, thanks chelseagirl, and loneleeb3 !!

Those are interesting comments.

I wonder if both Ennis and Jack had all those three: joy, purpose & fullfillment!! ??
On the Brokeback Mountain raising sheep, we do see some joyful times together, yes, and in different ways and times!! Besides making money that way, they did not seem to have the same purpose or did they then??

Hugs!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
I think they did. The purpose in the begining was to make money. I believe for Jack it was so he would have his Rodeo fees and Ennis to get married. However their purpose changes as they fall in love. They quit staying alone with the sheep and stay together. There purpose then becomes to be lovers. They find joy and fulfillment in each others arms. Joy and fulfillment are fleeting. Purpose still remains constant though. Their purpose remains to be together, to be lovers. They live for their next chance to be together.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

Thanks loneleeb3!

Boy, you sure elaborate that well!!

Congratulations, if I may say so!!

Since I think that somehow those 3 expressions (joy, purpose & fullfillment) did not go that well (luckily to some degrees),
after they descended from Brokeback Mountain, I am asking you do you think that they could have succeeded better??  And how??

Hugs!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............

Since I think that somehow those 3 expressions (joy, purpose & fullfillment) did not go that well (luckily to some degrees),
after they descended from Brokeback Mountain, I am asking you do you think that they could have succeeded better??  And how??

Hugs!!
Absolutly they could have succeeded! All Ennis had to do was say two letters.....O K!
When jack told him about his plan for their "sweet Life together" had Ennis just said ok everything shared on the Mountain would have come home with them. But sadly, Ennis couldn't do that. So they were left with joyless unfulfilled lives.The only purpose they had was making through to their next meeting.

Offline Artiste

Thanks loneleeb3!

You say this:
Absolutly they could have succeeded! All Ennis had to do was say two letters.....O K!
When jack told him about his plan for their "sweet Life together" had Ennis just said ok everything shared on the Mountain would have come home with them. But sadly, Ennis couldn't do that. So they were left with joyless unfulfilled lives.The only purpose they had was making through to their next meeting.

May I say that I feel that Jack could have asked Ennis to continue their love/friendship right after coming down from Brokeback Mountain, when Ennis helped Jack start the truck ?? If Jack would have stressed that... somehow. And, too Ennis had to stress that??

Just a thought, I  am presenting. What do you think of each of Ennis and Jack decisions then at that time??

Hugs!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
I think they were young and scared of their feelings and didn't know what to do. It was obvious they were in love the way Jack looked back as long as he could watching Ennis disappear in the rearview mirror and when Ennis had his breakdown in the shed after he was sure Jack was far enough away not to see him.
Course, had they expressed their love then and acted on it it would have been a short, all be it happier, movie!

Offline Artiste

Thanks  loneleeb3 !

You sure are right in your comment, I feel!

You write: Ennis had his breakdown in the shed.
Since this scene still puzzles me, I wonder why Ennis does this.
Why do you think he did this?

Hugs!