Author Topic: Flashbacks and Dozy Embraces  (Read 5918 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Flashbacks and Dozy Embraces
« on: April 22, 2006, 12:53:08 pm »
I had a late night DVD mini-viewing last night and woke this mornig with a temperature-a Brokeback fever relapse. Made it to the gym but the movie and Jack and Ennis have been in the forefront of my conscious, and unconscious, for the last 8 hours-I just can't get them out of my mind-I tripped over my Step in class this morning cuz I wasn't paying attention.

I've been thinking about the flashbacks and the dozy embrace-a scene that I love so much it's almost impossible to watch sometimes. It occured to me last night, or this moring, that Annie Proulx uses those flashbacks to define the basic characters Ennis and Jack. Ennis's flashback about fear and Jack's about love (I may have had this thought before but I guess I lost it somewhere).

Heathen

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Flashbacks and Dozy Embraces
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:48:21 pm »
I like it, Roux.
Also, for whatever it's worth or whatever thesis it supports, note that in at least one published version of the story, the entire story is Ennis's flashback.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 03:26:32 pm »
Ohhhh, I think that concept traveled through my consciousness once. Are you saying the entire Brokeback Mountain story is told from the perspective of Ennis (please say yes)?

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 03:49:37 pm »
Good insight about the use of flashbacks, RouxB!

I can't speak for Sarah, but, yes, I think you could say the whole story is kind of an Ennis flashback, in its "revised" version with the italicized prologue. It starts with Ennis "suffused with happiness" (what a wonderful phrase!) because he has been dreaming about Jack. Then it goes into their story, and at the end it comes back to Ennis dreaming of Jack.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 04:08:07 pm »
Isn't it strange when a random obsevation from someone can change your life? I am embracing the concept that the entire story is from Ennis's perspective. This, for me, goes hand-in-hand with Annie Proulx comments about stories not being finished until the reader reads and intepretes it based on his or her own life experiences and beliefs. I'm thinking that one of the reasons I have a hard time letting go of the movie and the story-perhaps many of us-is because I haven't "finished" it-and I am a person who needs closure. The Ennis flashback interpretation allows me to finish the story based on my experiences and my needs. Hmmmm...

Heathen

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:17:26 pm »
How many of us will tell our life story and say "And then I saw BBM, and from there, everything changed"? I know I will!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 06:22:45 pm »
Isn't it strange when a random obsevation from someone can change your life? I am embracing the concept that the entire story is from Ennis's perspective. This, for me, goes hand-in-hand with Annie Proulx comments about stories not being finished until the reader reads and intepretes it based on his or her own life experiences and beliefs. I'm thinking that one of the reasons I have a hard time letting go of the movie and the story-perhaps many of us-is because I haven't "finished" it-and I am a person who needs closure. The Ennis flashback interpretation allows me to finish the story based on my experiences and my needs. Hmmmm...

Lack of closure is definitely one big reason this movie is so haunting. That, and that every time you see it, you have to go through the whole tormenting process again: starting out happy and hopeful and then taking that long inevitable helpless slide into despair. You wish it could end differently this time. You want to yell at the screen and stop it from happening the way it does. But you can never do anything about it.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 08:15:20 pm »
Ohhhh, I think that concept traveled through my consciousness once. Are you saying the entire Brokeback Mountain story is told from the perspective of Ennis (please say yes)?

It may have been in earlier versions rouxB, but afraid not.  Most of the published short story is Ennis' POV, but there are parts that are Alma's POV and Jack's POV.  Obviously the 'flashback' hug is Jack's POV.  Ennis could not have known that's how he felt, nor did Ennis know that Alma finally felt she was 'wasting her time' with Ennis.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 08:22:08 pm »
How many of us will tell our life story and say "And then I saw BBM, and from there, everything changed"? I know I will!!

I will too, darlin'.  You can bet on it.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 09:08:39 pm »

It may have been in earlier versions rouxB, but afraid not.  Most of the published short story is Ennis' POV, but there are parts that are Alma's POV and Jack's POV.  Obviously the 'flashback' hug is Jack's POV.  Ennis could not have known that's how he felt, nor did Ennis know that Alma finally felt she was 'wasting her time' with Ennis.

Speaking about the movie only, I agree the POV switches back and forth. But I do think Ennis POV slightly dominates, even in the film. It's why it seemed appropriate that Heath be nominated for BA and Jake be up for BSA.