Author Topic: Question about a particular scene  (Read 10189 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Question about a particular scene
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 09:37:43 pm »
My goodness.  Yet another beautiful bit I've missed in *all* my viewings.  Thank you, Nipith and Fern.  Now I have yet another "something new" to look for the next time.
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Question about a particular scene - more hats
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 03:50:11 am »
that was me. yay! someone read that post. hardly anyone responded to that. i thought i was alone in seeing the significant of it.
any who. i loved seeing those two men every times. a hint that may "real sweet life" may have been possible after all.

Arrgh!  I'm sitting here racking my brain and I can't remember a "bus station".  I've only seen the film a dozen times and it has been a couple of weeks after all.  But help!  I'm still a bit of a newbie with the symbolism stuff (normally lost on me) but I'm trying.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 10:34:26 am »
Arrgh!  I'm sitting here racking my brain and I can't remember a "bus station".  I've only seen the film a dozen times and it has been a couple of weeks after all.  But help!  I'm still a bit of a newbie with the symbolism stuff (normally lost on me) but I'm trying.

Allow me to assist.  The bus station/diner is where Ennis is picking at that apple pie when Cassie and Karl/Carl come in.  There's a Greyhound busline logo over the counter, and the two cowboys are seen standing at it as if they're buying a ticket when they come in.
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 10:44:39 am »
Allow me to assist.  The bus station/diner is where Ennis is picking at that apple pie when Cassie and Karl/Carl come in.  There's a Greyhound busline logo over the counter, and the two cowboys are seen standing at it as if they're buying a ticket when they come in.

Aaaaah, so that was a bus station?  Thanks Barb.  I thought I was going crazy, not that I'm not of course. ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

TJ

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 01:17:58 pm »
The "bus stations," especially in the small towns and wide places in the road along the Highways of the USA, were like the Old American West History days when stagecoaches had to stop and get fresh horses and/or take on or let off passengers and other things carried on the stage.

In those stagecoach stops, one could often get something to eat. In the movie, the restaurant which was used was not exactly one of those bus station restaurants; it looked more like that the restaurant owner took over the bus stop franchise after the local bus station (owned by the bus company) had closed. I have been in those types of places back in the days when I took a trip on a bus, the first was back when I was 5 years old and the last was in January 1992, when I moved back to Tulsa, Oklahoma. 

In the scene where Ennis is eating the pie and Cassie comes in with her current boyfriend, I am at a loss where they were headed when she saw Ennis at the table. Since they were going to the back of the building on purpose, were they going to use the restrooms first?

Offline JfT

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 11:28:30 pm »
Good question TJ, they certainly looked like they had a firm destination in mind.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 07:38:44 pm »
bump for a common question asked about this film.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 01:04:43 am »
"Why do you think they had that cowboy walk by Ennis while he was dry-heaving and sobbing - wasn't it poignant enough without its being interrupted like that?"

In my newbie perception (I have seen BBM only one time and I am completely overwhelmed) - I thought that having another cowboy walk by with a black hat was a rather "mean" visual-perceptual trick played by the producers. I was so completely focused on Ennis in the foreground that my heart initially leapt with hope during those initial nanoseconds when I saw the black hat figure in the background  -  I believed in those initial seconds that Jack had turned the truck around and had come back for Ennis. I recall thinking great - what an opportune moment for Jack to see Ennis's vulnerability - the most opportune moment for them to reconnect - in contrast to the horribly awkward and constrained departure.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 01:13:18 am »
"Why do you think they had that cowboy walk by Ennis while he was dry-heaving and sobbing - wasn't it poignant enough without its being interrupted like that?"

In my newbie perception (I have seen BBM only one time and I am completely overwhelmed) - I thought that having another cowboy walk by with a black hat was a rather "mean" visual-perceptual trick played by the producers. I was so completely focused on Ennis in the foreground that my heart initially leapt with hope during those initial nanoseconds when I saw the black hat figure in the background   -  I believed in those initial seconds that Jack had turned the truck around and had come back for Ennis. I recall thinking great - what an opportune moment for Jack to see Ennis's vulnerability - the most opportune moment for them to reconnect - in contrast to the horribly awkward and constrained departure.

My heart still leaps everytime I watch that scene too. I know it won't be Jack walking by, but I always keep hoping.  :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 01:46:23 am »
My heart still leaps everytime I watch that scene too. I know it won't be Jack walking by, but I always keep hoping.  :'(

If so - BBM might definitely have a very different ending!  :)
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?