Author Topic: Wyoming Handbook  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Wyoming Handbook
« on: April 16, 2007, 05:33:01 am »
Last week I ordered a guide book from the "Moon Travel Handbooks" series, the Wyoming Handbook by Don Pitcher. It arrived today  :).
It's very thick, almost 700 pages  ( :o, I thought 300) and therefore naturally very detailed.

While skimming through it for the first time, the headline "Beaver Fever" in the general outdoor security section caught my eye. Next article was "Hypothermia". Here's an excerpt from Hypothermia:

"....the dangers of exposure to cold, wet and windy conditions.....

Put on rain gear before it starts raining....set up camp, keep active or snuggle with a friend in a down bag to generate warmth.
If someone in your party begins to show signs of hypothermia ....get the victim out of the wind, strip off his clothes, and put him in a dry sleeping bag on an insulating pad. Skin-to-skin contact is the best way to warm a hypothermic person and that means you'll also need to strip and climb in the sleeping bag. If you weren't friends before, this should heat up the relationship!"

:D  ;D :D ;D

It was big enough, warm enough and in a little while ...  ;D

Annie Proulx is also (briefly) mentioned in the handbook, although not for her Wyoming Stories respectively BBM, but for Postcards and The Shipping News (the first edition of the WY handbook was published in 1991, years before Wyoming stories).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Wyoming Handbook
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:36:24 am »
I like the Moon Travel Books. They usually have lots of good information and details on out of the way places. The Lonely Planet guides are good, too.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:04:24 am »
I had never heard of the Moon Travel handbooks. I just had a look at their website and ordered the Rocky Mountains edition.

Thanks for that Chrissi!

Here's an excerpt from Hypothermia:

"....the dangers of exposure to cold, wet and windy conditions.....

Put on rain gear before it starts raining....set up camp, keep active or snuggle with a friend in a down bag to generate warmth.
If someone in your party begins to show signs of hypothermia ....get the victim out of the wind, strip off his clothes, and put him in a dry sleeping bag on an insulating pad. Skin-to-skin contact is the best way to warm a hypothermic person and that means you'll also need to strip and climb in the sleeping bag. If you weren't friends before, this should heat up the relationship!"

:D  ;D :D ;D

:laugh:  :laugh: So THAT's what it's called!!  ::)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:14:32 am »
Maybe I could tell my husband I'm suffering from hypothermia!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 08:19:07 am »
I like the Moon Travel Books. They usually have lots of good information and details on out of the way places. The Lonely Planet guides are good, too.

L

I came upon it by chance, see below. But after a first skimming through it, I think it's a very good book.

I had never heard of the Moon Travel handbooks. I just had a look at their website and ordered the Rocky Mountains edition.

Thanks for that Chrissi!

You're welcome, Fabienne. Guess you bought the Canadian Rockies book?
I had never heard of Moon Travek handbooks, too. I found it by chance on ebay. That's why I thought the book had 300 pages, the article description at ebay said so  ::).
In the end, I didn't buy it on ebay, because the ebay book was used and I found the book for the same price on amazon marketplace in a more recent edition (2001) and in new condition  :).

Maybe I could tell my husband I'm suffering from hypothermia!!

Ouch. Poor Lee. (((Lee))).
Try what happens when you put a little whiskey in his tin cup  ;).

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:53:37 pm »
That's funny, Chrissi, good find!  ;D

I bought the Moon travel guide to Alberta (must have been attracted by the name) and have found it very helpful.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »
Any last-minute travel tips from your Wyoming book, Chrissi? See you soon!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:42:48 am »
No travel tips, but something to share  :).

Did you know  ;):

• The world's largets piece of jade was found near Lander in the 1940s: a 3,366-pound nephrite jade boulder.
  • The first football game in the nation played under artificial lights was in Midwest, WY in 1925
  • Wyoming was not only the first stat to give women voting rights, but WY also had the world's first female juror (in Laramie, 1870)
  • When walking in brushy bear country with low visibility you should make yourself hearable, i.e. making noise. The author of the Wyoming Handbook prefers yelling "Hey bear!" - but he would not recommend doing so while walking the paved path around Old Faithful Geyser; you might get carried off in a straighjacket

Two quotes. The first one is prefixed to the Wyoming Handbook:

God bless Wyoming and keep it wild
- last entry in the diary of a girl who died in the Tetons

Gotta go to the dentist now. Will add the second quote later.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:17:45 am »
Back from the dentist.
So here's another quote I found in said book. It's from Buffulo Bill Cody. It was spoken in defense of Wyoming, when a friend complained of the wind:

"You know where those winds come from? Well, this country up here is so close to paradise you can feel the breezes from heaven. That wind comes from the angels' wings. When they flap their wings the wind comes right down this valley."

I'll crosspost this on the Jack and the wind thread  :D.