Author Topic: [Important Tip!] How To Embed YouTube Videos on BetterMost  (Read 45008 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Re: YouTube is BAD for BetterMost
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:47:05 am »
I have dial up and it takes forever for anything on a page to show up if there is a YouTube on any part of that page.   

While I understand your frustration, only about 1% of our posts contain any embedded video, and while that may increase slightly, the vast majority of our pages will not contain embedded anything.  As to YouTube specifically, they are headed towards requiring linkers to embed, not link to their videos, as they will be presenting small commercial elements in their embedded player that they want people to see even if they don't run the video.

On the broader subject of dial-up, within five years, most remaining dial-up Internet providers are going to be ceasing operations -- many already are.  AOL, Earthlink, and most of the national ISPs have business plans that will basically eliminate dial-up from their menu of services by the end of this decade.  At that point, outside of some very rural areas or for business travellers, dial-up will become a thing of the past.  Part of the reason for this is telephone networks are accelerating deployment of Voice Over IP pathways to transport calls, and these do not work well with dial up modems at higher speeds (although they are fine for faxing).  Some local phone companies are beginning to use this technology for local calling -- cable company telephony products already do.  As this technology rapidly gets deployed, dial-up access is going to go the way of the horse and buggy.

Because of the rapid development of this technology, the FCC is pushing carriers to develop lower cost broadband plans, realizing that those unable to adopt to broadband are going to be cut off from the Internet at some point in the near future.  While the most rural areas are still likely to have dial-up available, and some ISPs will offer limited dial-up to their broadband customers for on-the-road access, dial-up costs are going to be increasing before the service goes away altogether, and I think people need to begin planning for the reality that this technology will not be around too much longer.

A lot of folks don't realize that broadband speed-restricted discount plans are available for DSL and cable modem services often at prices less expensive that many national ISPs are charging for dial-up.  In some areas of this country, slower speed DSL is available for around $10 a month that is still many times faster than dial-up.

I will begin researching options and posting them for those who may be unaware they don't have to rely on dial-up access when better alternatives exist (often at around the same cost).

In the meantime, considering the very low percentage of posts that contain embedded material, and the fact all of the trends point towards a diminishing number of dial-up users accessing websites in general, I don't want us to restrict our ability to meet the needs of the majority of our users who use faster alternatives.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:55:45 am by Phillip Dampier »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: [Important Tip!] How To Embed YouTube Videos on BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:31:05 am »
If I might just add, even while I cling to AOL  ;D one of the best moves I've ever made was to switch to AOL's DSL through Verizon plan. While it really doesn't seem to be as fast as they promised  >:( it is faster, and I never get booted off AOL anymore. I can't believe I stayed with dial-up as long as I did.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 12:32:28 pm »
I have opened up a new topic about broadband access in the Town Hall.

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 04:48:18 pm »
Hi Philip, tried several times to embed images (700 kB to 6MB) but to no avail. Clicked on the insert image icon, then copied the image path in between the parentheses but nothing appeared in the preview...any suggestion? Thanks!
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 05:33:46 pm »
Hi Philip, tried several times to embed images (700 kB to 6MB) but to no avail. Clicked on the insert image icon, then copied the image path in between the parentheses  but nothing appeared in the preview...any suggestion? Thanks!
Luigi

Are you talking about adding images or videos?  If images, here is some sample code so you can see how it works:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif[/img]
This will display:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: YouTube is BAD for BetterMost
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »
I have dial up and it takes forever for anything on a page to show up if there is a YouTube on any part of that page.   

So a warning of how long the video is doesn't matter to me.     It will take up to 5 minutes just for the page to load without even have clicked to watch the video.   Which I never bother because I don't have 30 minutes to wait for a simple video clip to load either.

So as more and more YouTube clips are appearing all over BetterMost, I find it increasingly frustring to read posts.   Most of the time I just give up and hit the "back" button and look for another topic.    And sometimes I'll just give up and leave BetterMost and go elsewhere to surf.

Inbedding YouTube windows in a post is a bad thing.   I'd rather there was just a link that says "Click here to watch a video".  This way the page loads right away and you have the option to go to the YouTube site or not.

Hi David!  :D

I feel like a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde because like you, I am also using dial-up and yet I'm probably one of the biggest culprits here when it comes to posting youtube videos. I have posted dozens of them. I have found that if I minimize the browser loading the video and then open up a second browser, I can continue to read/post to the forum as I wait for the video to finish. I was also told in admin that this will not negatively affect the forum in any way. In fact, last night I had Bettermost loaded up five times and I'm not quite sure how this happened. I think I was clicking on links and unintentionally opening up a separate browser each time I did it.

I realize this does not help to remedy the problem you just addressed (ie waiting for a thread to open because of all the videos embedded inside it) so I really don't know why I even bothered to reply to your message!  :laugh:  But maybe at least it will be a partial solution to your situation.

Just a little idea for you from a fellow dial-up Bettermostian.  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline luigival

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 04:22:43 pm »
Are you talking about adding images or videos?  If images, here is some sample code so you can see how it works:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif[/img]
This will display:

Thanks Phillip. Actually I was trying to display images I took, and pasted the path to upload them from my own PC or a CD (like C:\Documents and Settings\...\.jpg etc.), but nothing shows, though I'm quite sure the syntaxis is correct. Maybe I don't have to use the [img] [img]? Tried to send as attachment but it doesn't work either...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 04:34:34 pm »
Thanks Phillip. Actually I was trying to display images I took, and pasted the path to upload them from my own PC or a CD (like C:\Documents and Settings\...\.jpg etc.), but nothing shows, though I'm quite sure the syntaxis is correct. Maybe I don't have to use the [img] [img]? Tried to send as attachment but it doesn't work either...

I have been uploading my pictures to Photobucket and it always seems to work well for me because it is very straightforward and simple to use. After I upload my pictures, I copy the code from the fourth (bottom) option under the picture. It's called IMG Code. Then I paste the code in my post over here.

Many people here also use Divshare. Both are easy to use, and they are free. You might want to try one of those if you are having problems posting your pictures.  :)

www.photobucket.com

www.divshare.com

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline luigival

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 05:26:48 am »
Thanks for your suggestions David.
Will try them...
Luigi

Offline Front-Ranger