Author Topic: Your age and your favourite cowboy  (Read 30978 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Your age and your favourite cowboy
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2006, 10:19:25 pm »
It's so difficult to know what might have become of a real-life Ennis. He could be alive and well today aged only 63. Or, with a rough life, poor diet, probably little or no health care, and the smoking and the drinking, he could be with Jack long already. Poor guy. . . .
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2006, 04:26:26 am »
He could be alive and well today aged only 63. Or, with a rough life, poor diet, probably little or no health care, and the smoking and the drinking, he could be with Jack long already

I've seen a man losing the one and only love of his life in his fourties - and never being able to bond to any other person again. Not to find friends, let alone love. Living a sad and lonley life, finding comfort only in the visits of his daughter and alcohol.
Poor diet, no health care (because he refused to it, he would have had the oppotunity), smoking and drinking slowly but surely killed him. He died of alcohol abuse at age 64. Alone in his little appartment. His body was found two days later.

Maybe it's because of this experience that I can't see Ennis finding anyone else. As much as I want to, I can't.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2006, 09:28:35 am »
I've seen a man losing the one and only love of his life in his fourties - and never being able to bond to any other person again. Not to find friends, let alone love. Living a sad and lonley life, finding comfort only in the visits of his daughter and alcohol.
Poor diet, no health care (because he refused to it, he would have had the oppotunity), smoking and drinking slowly but surely killed him. He died of alcohol abuse at age 64. Alone in his little appartment. His body was found two days later.

Maybe it's because of this experience that I can't see Ennis finding anyone else. As much as I want to, I can't.

That's very sad, Penthesilea. Reminds me of a late close friend. In his case, the love of his life, the mainspring of his existence, wasn't a person but his job. He lost that when his employer was bought out. He received a nice buy-out package, and he was comfortable anyway from family inheritance, but nevertheless after he lost that job, he essentially stayed in his apartment and smoked and drank himself to death last year at age 52. Nothing any of us, his friends, tried to do to help him did any good because he didn't want to be helped.

I don't see Ennis finding anyone else, either, though I hope the small glimmer of change we see in him agreeing to attend Alma, Jr.,'s wedding indicates that he won't close himself off from the world entirely. At least, that's what I tried to imagine when I wrote my fanfiction, "Some Sweet Life."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2006, 07:43:47 am »
I don't see Ennis finding anyone else, either, though I hope the small glimmer of change we see in him agreeing to attend Alma, Jr.,'s wedding indicates that he won't close himself off from the world entirely. At least, that's what I tried to imagine when I wrote my fanfiction, "Some Sweet Life."

I read your story and I liked it very much. Yes, this is the way I see Ennis's life going on. And, to be honest, I cried through almost your whole story.
The best Ennis can hope for is seeing Jack again somewhere, somehow...
And this is also true for all of us in real life: somewhere, somehow, sometime......... maybe

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2006, 10:04:30 am »
I read your story and I liked it very much. Yes, this is the way I see Ennis's life going on. And, to be honest, I cried through almost your whole story.
The best Ennis can hope for is seeing Jack again somewhere, somehow...
And this is also true for all of us in real life: somewhere, somehow, sometime......... maybe

Oh, dear, I'm sorry my story made you cry--but thank you for letting me know you liked it.

Jeff

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2006, 01:48:08 pm »
That one made me cry, too, Jeff.  But I've told you that already.

Pen, I've seen a woman live out her life in loneliness after losing the love of her life (to divorce in this case) like your friend.  She was my Mom.  And she died alone and an alcoholic in her little apartment when she was 60.

As horrifyingly sad as her demise was, the rest of her life after my Dad was gone from it was not always unbearable.  She sobered up for 12 years between when I was 13 and 25, and she and I had some truly wonderful times in those years.  She was the best friend I ever had.  We talked about so much and laughed so hard sometimes that I think we both felt like we could paw the white out of the moon, we'd had such a good time.  But she never so much as dated another man again, let alone fell in love with one.  She said no one could hold a candle to my father - that that was the way it always was and the way it always would be.

I like to think of Ennis finding a good measure of happiness with Alma, Jr., and then with her children, in that way.  My Mom *adored* my oldest brother's two little girls.  They were the lights of her life, and she babysat them all day when they were babies so my brother and his wife at the time could work.  She loved it - it gave her no end of joy.  But when he and his wife decided that she was going to quit working and stay home with them, and she told my Mom she didn't want her help anymore (they didn't get along - I think because she was jealous of how close she and and my brother and all of us were), she took to drinking again.  She died two years after that.

I like the way you see it, Jeff - not of Ennis dying in utter despair like she did, but having come to, if not being fully healed from his loss, accepting it and being able to glean some happiness from what's left of his life.  That was where my Mom was at when she was still caring for my nieces every day.  I'd have much rather known she died in the midst of that bit of happiness than two years later and that much more miserable.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 01:52:00 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2006, 02:05:50 pm »
Barb,

I'm so sorry to hear the circumstances of your mother's death, but I'm sure you must really treasure the memories of the fun times you had with her during the good years. I'm glad you have those times to remember.

Jeff

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2006, 02:55:40 pm »
Barb,

I'm so sorry to hear the circumstances of your mother's death, but I'm sure you must really treasure the memories of the fun times you had with her during the good years. I'm glad you have those times to remember.

Thanks, sweetheart.  Didn't mean for it to be a downer post - really more a testament that someone who's faced a loss similar (granted, not nearly as tragic) to Ennis' can still get some measure of happiness from life without another love partner, as long as they have some form of love in their lives.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2006, 03:38:44 pm »
Thanks, sweetheart.  Didn't mean for it to be a downer post - really more a testament that someone who's faced a loss similar (granted, not nearly as tragic) to Ennis' can still get some measure of happiness from life without another love partner, as long as they have some form of love in their lives.

I, for one, certainly understood what you meant. That's been my own experience, more or less, in my own life since the death of my boyfriend, and--I'm not quite sure how to say this--but it was kind of gratifying--maybe comforting would be better--to hear that my own experience isn't unique, and therefore my fictional imaginings of what Ennis's life might have been like after Jack's death were within the realm of the possible--because this sort of experience does really happen to people.

I mean, I hope this doesn't sound weird, but, for example, reading about your mother and your brother's children made me think of what I had imagined about Ennis and Alma, Jr.,'s children--your mother in reality and Ennis in my fanfiction both took great joy in their grandchildren. So when I wrote that about Ennis, I wasn't just "making something up," I was tapping into something that really happens to people.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2006, 03:57:43 pm »
So when I wrote that about Ennis, I wasn't just "making something up," I was tapping into something that really happens to people.

Yes, it's clear in all your writings that you're doing just that.  :)

(Check your PMs, by the way.)
No more beans!