Author Topic: I did once (have a better idea)... to go to Mexico???  (Read 19953 times)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I did once (have a better idea)... to go to Mexico???
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:33:56 am »
Ok, I have a question that occured to me on my first viewing that I only remembered today.  I've been trying to catch up on historical Tremblay posts, and today I came across the topic: "An interesting thread from the main IMDB board...".  This *was* an interesting read, and in it there was a reference to the scene where Jack says "I did once".

Now what has puzzled me is this scene is where Ennis is explaining why they can't get together in August.  It all leads to the admonition that Ennis' life is too hard/complex, can't quit this job, it's difficult enough to get the time away that he does, and "the trade-off is August".  He then asks Jack if has/had a better idea.  So far, all well and good, but I was surprised that when Jack says "I did once" (expecting this to be in relation to the better idea of a cow-and-calf operation, that Ennis immediately concludes that "you been to Mexico Jack?".  Jack nods and then there's the argument, yadda, yadda, yadda.  So now I'm confused.  Is the full sentence from Jack supposed to be:

Ennis: You got a better idea?
Jack: I did once... and it's to go to Mexico.

Huh?  Am I missing something?  How is this a "better idea"?  Have you Tremblayans discussed this before?  Sorry if you have and I've not come across it yet.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: I did once (have a better idea)... to go to Mexico???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:38:36 am »
I think it was " I did once but you have let me down so many times that I dare not ever contemplate offering it again."
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:41:43 am »
Yeah, but how does that lead to a Mexico conclusion???

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:44:45 am »
Chris, I always thought "I did once" was a bitter reference to the proposition Jack made in their 20's that they leave their wives and be together.  He was saying that he HAD the better idea - as in, he's sick of their sporadic get togethers but he's put up with it because he loves him - but if he had HIS way, they'd have lived together as partners.  And he says it with that accusatory tone because he wants to rub it in to Ennis that it didn't have to be the way it has been.

And as Ray said, he wouldn't ever put the offer out there again.

I think at this point, also, he's considering leaving Ennis because he can't handle hardly ever seeing him.

That's the way I've always interpreted this line.
Chut up!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:49:28 am »
OK, I agree, but that's my problem.  We are focusing on Jack's motive for saying "I did once" and what he means.  What I don't understand is how Ennis concludes that he means Mexico?

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:52:51 am »
Yup!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:54:01 am »
"I did once".   Yup, that had nothing to do with Mexico.     Jack had a puss on his face all that week.   He was not happy with the current situation even before Ennis told him about August being cancelled.

If you remember, Jack said "Why are we always in the cold?  we should go to Mexico".

He then goes into the "I did once" speach.     This gets Ennis mad, so he lashes out with the "You been to Mexico Jack Twist?"     Ennis needs an excuse to vent his anger to.    He may have always suspected that Jack had sought out "other" attention.   Now that Ennis see's things are falling apart, all those unsaid things can be said now.
"I did once"?    Twice really.   The first time was the "Cow and calf" idea back in 67, then the time in 1976 when he suggested to Ennis that he move down to Texas.

And after Ennis's reaction that time, Jack surely wouldn't say anything again.

:'(

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 07:58:02 am »
Hmm.. maybe Jack's undeniable bitterness and his obvious longing for masculine interaction (check out the reaction when Ennis says he can't see him for a long time) and maybe Ennis put 2 & 2 together in his own mind... Jack very bitter: Jack desperate for me (or men in general): can't have me: seeks other options?

I always thought the leap was a bit great, but Jack HAD mentioned Mexico, when he says to Ennis they ought to go there..

I mean, yeah, Mexico is hot... or warmer than the mountains..  And Jack saying "we ought to go south where its warm, we ought to go to Mexico"... that sorta implies he's been there, IMO.  And Ennis knows there are hookers to every taste there and I reckon he's just put 2 & 2 together here..  
Chut up!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:00:51 am »
If you remember, Jack said "Why are we always in the cold?  we should go to Mexico".

Ah! Thanks David, couldn't see the forrest for the trees.  And the harder I tried the worse it got.  Ok, so there's no connection between "I did once" and Mexico other than Jack mentions that it's warmer there in the sentence before.  It bothered me because I wonder how Ennis knew what there was down there for boys like Jack???  I mean, if we didn't see Jack go there after the rejection I would have been totally confused about how all this ties together... ;)

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:04:59 am »
I always thought the leap was a bit great, but Jack HAD mentioned Mexico, when he says to Ennis they ought to go there..

Thanks for mentioning that - I wondered if it's just me that has trouble with the dialogue at this point.