Author Topic: Next Project! Bettermost Mother's Day Tribute! (see first post)  (Read 7369 times)

injest

Re: Next Project! Bettermost Mother's Day Tribute! (see first post)
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 12:11:27 pm »
{{{Meryl}}}

Thank you.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 01:18:15 pm »
I feel a lot of ambivalence about my mother and I think many people feel the same way. How can you possibly do justice to a person who has given so much, to whom you literally owe your life? And thus we often develop a complicated set of feelings which may easily include resentment and downright hostility. So, I will honor and try to emulate the First Mother, the mother of all mothers. She may be called Mother Nature, or Demeter, or something else, but I like to think of her as Mary. The Mary that Michelangelo sculpted who sits in St. Peter's Cathedral with the body of Jesus on her lap. To me she represents unconditional love, the pure and limitless love that sees the potential in her child and empowers that child to live his or her dream. That is what I aspire to in being a mother and, though I know I'll fall far short, I want to get as close as I can. I know I can do it because somewhere back in the early days of my life I had that experience with my mother. I know it because I feel its loss and its absence and I just want to be there again, even if it's in a dream or in death.

A little story about my son. When he was about two years old, my son decided that he'd like to put his clothes on by himself. The only trouble was that he was trying to put on his shorts while climbing up the stairs at the same time. Finally, he gave up and collapsed on the stairstep, crying out, "Hard do, Mommy!" I told him, "You can do hard things" and I picked him up and put him at the bottom of the stairs where he finished dressing and was very proud of himself. To this day, I tell my 15 year old son, "You can do hard things" and he can!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 07:16:15 pm »
Thank you Lee!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 09:33:02 pm »

It's my fourth Mother's Day without you, but you're still very much with me. 
Thank you, my dearest Mom, for a lifetime of love and precious memories!  :-*

What a lady!  :-*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 09:33:56 pm »
Wish I had rememembered this thread was here in time to banner it for Mother's Day.  Sorry!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 09:56:30 pm »
One thing I always remember about my mom happened while I was in the hospital for a couple of weeks with hepatitis. I was 19, and had to stay there over Christmas and New Year's. I didn't even feel that sick, but my doctor had had bad experiences with soldiers dying of hepatitis during WWII, so he was paranoid. I hated being there, and was desperate to get out. I was so unhappy, my condition was actually getting worse.

I hated the hospital food, and for some reason I kept craving twice-baked potatoes. The doctor encouraged me to eat lots of carbohydrates. So my mom made several big batches of twice-baked potatoes and brought them to my room hot, in thermal cannisters.

Finally, I left the hospital, against the doctor's orders. The doctor said I would die, in fact. But my mom trusted me enough to bring me home to her house. I was better in a week.

My mom is still alive, but she has Alzheimer's. She can barely carry on a conversation. But she still recognizes my voice.

This is a great story!  Thanks so much for sharing!

I'll always remember my mom's caring during my pregnancy, and well after my daughter was born.  When I gave birth, I was so terrified that I had a tiny creature to care for, and I didn't know the first thing about taking care of my baby.  My mom realized that I was scared to death, and she took a 2 week leave of absence from her job to be with me.  I wanted to be a nursing mother, and gave it a try.  Alas, I couldn't make enough milk to properly feed my daughter.  My mom was the first to notice this, and like Mrs. Newsome, she went out and bought me a "whole box of formula!"

My mom is now 80 years old and doing well.  We almost lost her this past fall, but she pulled through, and is now back, preparing elaborate meals, going to church 2 times a week, continuing her charity work.  And she is still helping me with my child.  I am so fortunate to have my mom in my life!

injest

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 09:59:10 pm »
Thank you LittleWing!!

Your mom sounds so lively and supportive.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 11:33:09 pm »
This is one of my Mom and I, when I was home the summer before she got sick.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 11:39:28 pm »
{{Dot}}

:) :) ;)

Thank you

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 10:12:09 pm »
Thank you LittleWing!!

Your mom sounds so lively and supportive.

And thank you, Injest, for your kind words.  I am so lucky to have that wonderful woman in my life!