Author Topic: D day for the UK....  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
D day for the UK....
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:51:48 pm »
...Or should that be DVD day for the UK! I can't wait! I should be getting mine in about an hour. I couldn't go into town today so the display rearranging should commence at the weekend.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

moremojo

Re: D day for the UK....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 01:56:57 pm »
I can't wait for the sake of my friend Keith, who lives and studies in Oxford. He knows how much I love this film, but would not go to the cinema to see it because he has come to dislike the experience of physically going to the theatre. I'm really anxious for him to see my new favorite movie, even though his initial experience will be via DVD, and to learn what his impressions are (I'm suspecting he won't like it nearly to the degree I do, though I think he'll have some positive things to say).

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:54:19 pm by moremojo »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:18:40 pm »
I'm suspecting he won't like it nearly to the degree I do, though I think he'll have some positive things to say.

No doubt Scott, don't even hope to dream, let him find his own way of living and breathing Brokeback or not as is his want.  I don't know of anyone (except maybe Barb and that took time) that has had the pleasure of a friend/family to like BBM on any level resembling ours.  We're an unusual breed, special and blessed, but most importantly, we were ready.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:24:04 pm »

No doubt Scott, don't even hope to dream, let him find his own way of living and breathing Brokeback or not as is his want.  I don't know of anyone (except maybe Barb and that took time) that has had the pleasure of a friend/family to like BBM on any level resembling ours.  We're an unusual breed, special and blessed, but most importantly, we were ready.
I have been fortunate in having a good friend, Melinda, who is just as smitten with BBM and the boys as I am. In fact, she's been on this journey even longer than me, having first met Ennis and Jack in December, whereas I waited till February to pay my first visit. I only regret that I didn't make it to the movie sooner, as it was a while before my friend found others who had engaged with the movie as intensely as she had, and I could have been her BBM confidante and support for longer. I didn't fully understand what she was going through until I had my first viewing, and it hit me so hard, much harder than I could ever have imagined.

Unfortunately, Melinda and I are separated geographically by half a continent, and it can definitely feel lonely at times living so immersed in all things 'Brokeback', while those around you are tending to other things, blithely unaware that the most important film ever made is waiting, just patiently waiting, to be seen and appreciated by them. My little grieving spells, daily in occurrence, are especially hard--I just wish I had a shoulder to cry on sometimes, preferably belonging to someone who understood what I'm going through. I have been crying every day since my first viewing, on February 18th, and I don't know if the tears will ever cease to flow. It's like the movie has opened a wound in my heart that just won't heal--it's fascinating and bewildering all at once. Like Ennis says, there's definitely no reins on this one.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:54:41 pm by moremojo »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:15:35 pm »
Unfortunately, Melinda and I are separated geographically by half a continent, and it can definitely feel lonely at times living so immersed in all things 'Brokeback', while those around you are tending to other things, blithely unaware that the most important film ever made is waiting, just patiently waiting, to be seen and appreciated by them. My little grieving spells, daily in occurrence, are especially hard--I just wish I had a shoulder to cry on sometimes, preferably belonging to someone who understood what I'm going through. I have been crying every day since my first viewing, on February 18th, and I don't know if the tears will ever cease to flow. It's like the movie has opened a wound in my heart that just won't heal--it's fascinating and bewildering all at once. Like Ennis says, there's definitely no reins on this one.

I feel your pain Scott, as do many here I'm sure.  ((((((hug))))))  I've been writing a bit on these thoughts, not as a cry for help but to just express the depth of emotion that I, you, we all feel.  This has helped me a lot.  I don't have any concept for what it means to be able to share in the obsession with a friend directly.  It's only through this group that I've been able to work through these issues, and I cherish them beyond words.  I hate to think what would've happened to me if I really was on my own.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare