Author Topic: Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?  (Read 11378 times)

injest

Re: Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 08:50:02 am »
Thank you Thank you!!

(just slap me and call me a feminazi!!)

and I used to be such a good little girl!

:-X ;D ;D ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 08:50:36 am »
well, I am a little offended at the sexist attitude of a lot of country music. You always hear about rap music and how THEY treat women, but nothing is ever said about country music.

Little Darlin', plainly you aren't "a little offended," you are a lot offended, and clearly you have a right to be.

I'm not a big listener of Country music--heck, I don't much listen to music anyway--and it's invidious to rank degrees of awfulness--but I'm guessing that even though Country might tend to objectify women, in the main it doesn't outright call them bitches and whores and advocate bashing them around, which is my impression is common in Rap?

"Ride a cowboy" to me is no worse than "my baby is born and bred in the USA"

My horse was bred, my cows are bred, I MIGHT breed my dogs.....but I was NOT bred thank you very much!

That really offends you? Isn't that strange, I never would have thought to take "born and bred" as offensive. I suppose it can be seen as an animal analogy, but I've quite commonly referred to myself as "born and bred a Lutheran" or "a Pennsylvanian born and bred," and I never took the phrase to mean anything other than "born and raised," or "born and nurtured." I guess I'd better watch where I use it!

And you just go right ahead and rant all you want. Your posts are always interesting and worth reading.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 06:38:30 pm »
I think the 'born and bred' thing is context sensitive....the song is a laundry list of his 'girls' physical attributes (reads like a laundry list) "sexy long hair, Sexy long legs" and compares her to his radio and car....(those were made in foreign countries)

and using imagery or innuendo is not much better to me...in fact it is more insidious. If you are listening to a song calling a woman a whore your thought is "That is horrible" whereas you hear some song about a teenage girl "Rocking" some old man's world your responce is "Oh it is just a song" but it is very similar in attitude. Both demean and bring women down to a sexual object; the rapper isn't talking about love...and neither is the old man, in both the female is to be used and discarded. At least in most of the rap videos I have seen the women ARE in fact women..with women's shapes and faces. In some of these country videos they use VERY young girls with about as much shape as a six year old boy!

The Sheriff told me I was sounding angry yesterday...hope I didnt come across as too witchy!

:)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 06:54:22 pm »
Sheriff told me I was sounding angry yesterday...hope I didnt come across as too witchy!

Uh, Bettermost and other places have been sounding boards for gay men to vent plenty of anger.  And they don't worry about (or apologize for) sounding "witchy".  Neither should you.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 07:14:51 pm »
Here is the song with a BBM related You Tube video done to it.  :D 

"Save A Horse...Ride Jack Twist" 

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 08:29:10 pm »
well, I am a little offended at the sexist attitude of a lot of country music. You always hear about rap music and how THEY treat women, but nothing is ever said about country music.

"Ride a cowboy" to me is no worse than "my baby is born and bred in the USA"

My horse was bred, my cows are bred, I MIGHT breed my dogs.....but I was NOT bred thank you very much!

Then we have a lovely little ditty by two old men talking about a teenage girl (that they have to sneak back in her house on Sunday morning ..so she can be "all ribbons and curls") oh! and she also is sleeping with her math teacher...

or the one that says how sad it is that the South didn't win the Civil War cause "If the South woulda won we'd had it made!" (and them pesky uppity blacks would still be out in the slave houses, although they dont' just come straight out and SAY that....it is just a given...*wink*) and then they could have EVERY "girl child sent to Georgia to learn to smile and talk with that sweet southern style" (cause you know the sole purpose of women is to be amusing and attractive to white straight men!)

or the lovely "Honky Tonk Badonkey donk" or whatever....has all these men of varying ages leering at a bunch of teenagers barely wearing anything on their behinds; the camera never showing anything but their behinds.

Ride a cowboy is too risque? Only for straight white men and the women that buy into their bulls***!

Sorry for the rant!  ;)

Well said.  Country western music is sexist because most country/cowboy guys are sexist.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 10:14:33 pm »
In some of these country videos they use VERY young girls with about as much shape as a six year old boy!

Eeeew. ... Really? Yuck!  :P

The Sheriff told me I was sounding angry yesterday...hope I didnt come across as too witchy!

:)

Like I said, you just keep right on rantin'! Anything you've got to say is always worth readin'!  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 10:29:48 pm »
Well said.  Country western music is sexist because most country/cowboy guys are sexist.

what really irritates me are the women that buy into the idea that being liberated means acting out MEN'S fantasies. "Look at me I am spread eagled on the hood of a car! I am empowered!"

My personal most hated is a video of a bunch of girls wearing underpants and chaps 'attacking' a man with a beer and a big ol s*** eating grin on his face...then one sits on him and 'rides' him.

Yeah, that right there is empowerment....that is what the ERA was fighting for.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:48 pm »
what really irritates me are the women that buy into the idea that being liberated means acting out MEN'S fantasies. "Look at me I am spread eagled on the hood of a car! I am empowered!"

My personal most hated is a video of a bunch of girls wearing underpants and chaps 'attacking' a man with a beer and a big ol s*** eating grin on his face...then one sits on him and 'rides' him.

Yeah, that right there is empowerment....that is what the ERA was fighting for.

The trouble with true equality is that the idea is for women to be free enough and equal enough to men to be just as good or just as bad as men without the entire gender taking the blame for any one woman's behavior.

This was readily shown recently where Paris Hilton and the rest of the skank pack were taken to task by some article/psychologist for being a bad influence on young girls and that their behavior should be reined in or censored somehow because they're bad role models.

Of course, no mention was made in the article of all the men stars/rockers etc., who've been boozing and whoring and tearing up hotel rooms for decades and how THEIR behavior should be curtailed.  Another still engrained typical example of how boys will be boys, but girls had better be ladies.  ::)

This is a quick aside from the cowboy issue but what you said about videos kinda reminded me of this.  There was a recent commercial for Axe for men's deoderizing spray.  But the gist of all the commercials is that wearing/using this product makes men irresistable to women.

One particular commercial was yet another male fantasy, but I stared at it in horror.  Guy is standing on a beach, spraying himself with this stuff with a big old "I've died and gone to heaven" grin on his face while all around him are gorgeous women in bikinis racing toward him, knocking each other down, climbing down the beach cliffs, running across the sands, swimming and running out of the water toward him - packs of blondes, brunettes, redheads.  Thousands of them.

I looked at the women's faces.  They were grim.

And this one guy, right in the middle.

The commercial closes right before they get to him, and all I could think of is - that guy - or a guys' fantasy is that - those women are suddenly going to come to a stop and turn kitten-ish?  The guy is Orpheus.  Those women are going to grab him and start pulling and pulling him, clothes are going to get grabbed, then parts he will wish didn't dangle so invitingly are going to get grabbed then ripped off, then his limbs are going to be....  The guy is going to get ripped to pieces.  But he thinks he's in the middle of a sexual fantasy.   

injest

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 12:01:32 am »
The trouble with true equality is that the idea is for women to be free enough and equal enough to men to be just as good or just as bad as men without the entire gender taking the blame for any one woman's behavior.

This was readily shown recently where Paris Hilton and the rest of the skank pack were taken to task by some article/psychologist for being a bad influence on young girls and that their behavior should be reined in or censored somehow because they're bad role models.

Of course, no mention was made in the article of all the men stars/rockers etc., who've been boozing and whoring and tearing up hotel rooms for decades and how THEIR behavior should be curtailed.  Another still engrained typical example of how boys will be boys, but girls had better be ladies.  ::)

This is a quick aside from the cowboy issue but what you said about videos kinda reminded me of this.  There was a recent commercial for Axe for men's deoderizing spray.  But the gist of all the commercials is that wearing/using this product makes men irresistable to women.

One particular commercial was yet another male fantasy, but I stared at it in horror.  Guy is standing on a beach, spraying himself with this stuff with a big old "I've died and gone to heaven" grin on his face while all around him are gorgeous women in bikinis racing toward him, knocking each other down, climbing down the beach cliffs, running across the sands, swimming and running out of the water toward him - packs of blondes, brunettes, redheads.  Thousands of them.

I looked at the women's faces.  They were grim.

And this one guy, right in the middle.

The commercial closes right before they get to him, and all I could think of is - that guy - or a guys' fantasy is that - those women are suddenly going to come to a stop and turn kitten-ish?  The guy is Orpheus.  Those women are going to grab him and start pulling and pulling him, clothes are going to get grabbed, then parts he will wish didn't dangle so invitingly are going to get grabbed then ripped off, then his limbs are going to be....  The guy is going to get ripped to pieces.  But he thinks he's in the middle of a sexual fantasy.   

Maenids?

Del you always astound me! LOL

I do agree with you about women being allowed to be as bad as the guys. I don't object to the women country singers that call themselves "redneck woman with a baby on my hip"and act stupid. I object to MEN protraying women that way and then claiming they are showing women as being modern and liberated. The songs I have mentioned here are sung by men, produced by men.