Author Topic: Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?  (Read 11498 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Banned at the Bay Bridge: Too “Brokeback” for CBS Outdoor?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 12:50:10 am »
I think the 'born and bred' thing is context sensitive....the song is a laundry list of his 'girls' physical attributes (reads like a laundry list) "sexy long hair, Sexy long legs" and compares her to his radio and car....(those were made in foreign countries)

and using imagery or innuendo is not much better to me...in fact it is more insidious. If you are listening to a song calling a woman a whore your thought is "That is horrible" whereas you hear some song about a teenage girl "Rocking" some old man's world your responce is "Oh it is just a song" but it is very similar in attitude. Both demean and bring women down to a sexual object; the rapper isn't talking about love...and neither is the old man, in both the female is to be used and discarded. At least in most of the rap videos I have seen the women ARE in fact women..with women's shapes and faces. In some of these country videos they use VERY young girls with about as much shape as a six year old boy!

The Sheriff told me I was sounding angry yesterday...hope I didnt come across as too witchy!

:)

Still with ya, Friend.  :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 09:08:21 am »
The guy is Orpheus.   

Perhaps not the best analogy here. According to Ovid, Orpheus was torn to pieces by Thracian maenads because, after he failed to rescue his beloved wife Eurydice from Hades, he gave up women for boys.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 06:24:15 pm »
Perhaps not the best analogy here. According to Ovid, Orpheus was torn to pieces by Thracian maenads because, after he failed to rescue his beloved wife Eurydice from Hades, he gave up women for boys.

HUH!

I had never heard that part!

I had understood he was killed for spying on the sacred rite...that Dionysius led him to do it because he mocked him??

(it has been a long time since I read any Greek mythology..)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 06:34:24 pm »
It's funny: depending on which book you read, you'll get the actual mythology story, or sometimes a 'PG' version of it in which alternate (more socially acceptable) plots are offered.

injest

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 06:46:36 pm »
It's funny: depending on which book you read, you'll get the actual mythology story, or sometimes a 'PG' version of it in which alternate (more socially acceptable) plots are offered.

so it is NOT true that homosexuality was accepted in Greece??

I am so confused....ya'll gonna have me researching mythology!

why would the Maenids kill him for having sex with boys? Zeuz had sex with boys...or is that wrong too?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 07:13:12 pm »
so it is NOT true that homosexuality was accepted in Greece??

I am so confused....ya'll gonna have me researching mythology!

why would the Maenids kill him for having sex with boys? Zeuz had sex with boys...or is that wrong too?

Maybe it wasn't so much that Orpheus was having sex with boys as that he had stopped having sex with women? Maybe it did have something to do with angering Dionysus. In any case, it wasn't because he was demeaning women. And Ovid was a Roman. I think the Roman attitude toward homosexuality may have been a bit more mixed than the Greek attitude.

Pentheus, king of Thebes, was torn to pieces by Maenads, including his own mother, for spying on their rites.

And Actaeon was turned into a stag and torn to pieces by his own dogs for spying on the goddess Artemis.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

injest

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 07:18:19 pm »
Maybe it wasn't so much that Orpheus was having sex with boys as that he had stopped having sex with women? Maybe it did have something to do with angering Dionysus. In any case, it wasn't because he was demeaning women. And Ovid was a Roman. I think the Roman attitude toward homosexuality may have been a bit more mixed than the Greek attitude.

Pentheus, king of Thebes, was torn to pieces by Maenads, including his own mother, for spying on their rites.

And Actaeon was turned into a stag and torn to pieces by his own dogs for spying on the goddess Artemis.

dang, it is just like a soap opera!

don't mess with the maenids!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 08:42:05 pm »

What Laura said.  It's whatever version of the myth you read is why he died.  I wasn't so much alluding to the sexual nature of Orpheus' death as I was alluding to the death of a man surrounded by a very agitated mob of women.  His was the most famous I could think of right off the bat.

In the plot of Euripides' Bacchantes Pentheus was persecuting the followers of Dionysius, so the god appeared in his town in human disguise, allowed Pentheus to capture him, and after some dialogue, took him to watch the rites in secret, then gave Pentheus away after revealing his divinity and the maenads tore him to pieces.

I'm not sure if this was based on a true myth story or just something Euripides made up.

As for Artemis/Diana...well, never watch a goddess bathing.  Even if they forgive you, they will still punish you.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 09:45:26 pm »
I'm not sure if this was based on a true myth story or just something Euripides made up.

Good question. Or maybe he elaborated on the story for his dramatic purposes.

Agreed. Don't mess with a goddess!  ;)

injest

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 11:39:02 pm »
What Laura said.  It's whatever version of the myth you read is why he died.  I wasn't so much alluding to the sexual nature of Orpheus' death as I was alluding to the death of a man surrounded by a very agitated mob of women.  His was the most famous I could think of right off the bat.

In the plot of Euripides' Bacchantes Pentheus was persecuting the followers of Dionysius, so the god appeared in his town in human disguise, allowed Pentheus to capture him, and after some dialogue, took him to watch the rites in secret, then gave Pentheus away after revealing his divinity and the maenads tore him to pieces.

As for Artemis/Diana...well, never watch a goddess bathing.  Even if they forgive you, they will still punish you.

THAT was the one I was thinking of...