Author Topic: Invite to Bettermost posted on IMDb  (Read 4560 times)

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
Invite to Bettermost posted on IMDb
« on: April 24, 2006, 06:38:06 pm »
I am not sure of the requirements, if any, for joining this website.  I just noticed a new poster (3 posts) on IMDb has provided a link to Bettermost.  Does that mean anyone that visits that site can sign in here?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 06:45:05 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
Re: Invite to Bettermost posted on IMDb
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 06:45:27 pm »
Has anyone alerted Phillip?  I have noticed that everytime I leave this site over the past two days that I have to log back in which I have never had to do before.  Is this a new safeguard to monitor entry? 
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:47:46 pm »
Has anyone alerted Phillip?  I have noticed that everytime I leave this site over the past two days that I have to log back in which I have never had to do before.  Is this a new safeguard to monitor entry? 

The only time I have to log back in is when I leave the chat room..
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 06:57:22 pm »
Perhaps that's it.  I've been to the chat room a few time now and wandered around chatting TO MYSELF!  (Had some very insightful moments might I add).  However, even coming straight in here this morning I had to log in.  I don't mind at all, but I thought it was unusual.  I have PMed Phillip just to make sure he is aware, but I guess we need to brace ourselves for a potential Troll invasion as it will be difficult to police new members.  Here we go again!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:04:25 pm »
Perhaps that's it.  I've been to the chat room a few time now and wandered around chatting TO MYSELF!  (Had some very insightful moments might I add).  However, even coming straight in here this morning I had to log in.  I don't mind at all, but I thought it was unusual.  I have PMed Phillip just to make sure he is aware, but I guess we need to brace ourselves for a potential Troll invasion as it will be difficult to police new members.  Here we go again!

Do we know who is posting it?
I don't think it's any of us.  I was in and out of the chat too, and by myself.  Must have missed you.  Going in now to check it out.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 07:05:39 pm »
The poster is jim1616 & he seems to think he is doing a good thing.  Hope it's not letting the "fox in"...
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 07:08:10 pm »
On the 'Ask a Stupid Question' thread, this was brought up and Philip replied:

Phillip
Administrator
Brokeback Got Me Good

Administrator, BetterMost

View Profile WWW Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Ask a Stupid Question -- Get a Stupid Answer
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:06:26 pm »
I am not sure who Jim is other than the fact he was talking about Bettermost as a whole, not CT specifically, and has been promoting us since March.

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 07:10:16 pm »
we have to remember the bettermost existed long before CT and that we are essentially guests here.  people have been promoting bettermost on TOB since as long as i can remember, and why shouldn't they?  if they're just innocently posting links, it's not a big deal, i'm sure Phillip would appreciate the traffic.

if a troll WERE to get in, this board is so heavily moderated that they'd be lucky if they got a single post in before their IP address were banned. 

don't worry!  welcome the newbies!
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 07:10:52 pm »
Yes I am aware this has happened,actually it's not the first time.    Phil is not concerned about it though.  He himself has promoted this site on IMDb.  Foxinator seems very IMDb centric, however if the poster said WE have ALL come here it might peak his interest....but other than that I think he has other boards to fry at IMDb where admin is lax and he can pretty much do as he pleases.

But should the vermin decide to migrate this way Phil has a no-nonesense approach to trolling and YOU ALL may rest assured that the fox and company will soon find themselves kicked to the curb.  

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 07:22:43 pm »
But should the vermin decide to migrate this way Phil has a no-nonesense approach to trolling and YOU ALL may rest assured that the fox and company will soon find themselves kicked to the curb.  

Is it wrong to want to see that happen?...  Just once?...
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 07:30:13 pm »
Every moderator on here has the power to delete troll messages and there is usually at least one on here 24/7 so I don't see much threat.  Further, we've been promoted on IMDb since this place started and I've never had a troll.  The CT forum, which might be an attraction, is invisible to unregistered users so they probably wouldn't find much of interest here.

Since that message was posted, I haven't seen one new user from it, so I don't think we are going to have much of an issue over this.  In fact, I'd like to see more new users on here to keep the traffic levels up, and I'd especially like every regular poster to go out of their way to make welcome new posters on here.  We're all one big family here and we have lots of room to grow.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming