Author Topic: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch  (Read 371227 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch
« Reply #270 on: September 02, 2007, 03:10:22 pm »
Yes. People who have written, spoken, and read English all their lives should be aware of the difference. Those two are always in the "often confused" lists, though.

Actually "loose" is pronounced as rhyming with "goose" and "lose" rhymes with "blues".

I also fight a losing battle trying to get students to use "too" the correct way. They want to use "to" for "to much homework" or whatever! And "their" for "over their"
:P
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2007, 03:22:54 pm »
Yes. People who have written, spoken, and read English all their lives should be aware of the difference. Those two are always in the "often confused" lists, though.

Actually "loose" is pronounced as rhyming with "goose" and "lose" rhymes with "blues".

I also fight a losing battle trying to get students to use "too" the correct way. They want to use "to" for "to much homework" or whatever! And "their" for "over their"
:P

Are you a teacher Shasta? Good Lord! You've probably rolled over a few times after reading some of my posts!  :laugh:

Can you believe I've actually been to college? More than once!! haha. Bad English is just pure laziness on my part.

Or pure carelessness.

Or forgetting to use the spell checker before I press the post button.

Or a combination of all of the above!  :laugh:

;)  ;)  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2007, 03:41:12 pm »
Hi Opinionista. Yes, I'm aware of the many posters out there for whom English is not the native tongue. And they have my admiration and respect, believe me; I could never write in a second language half as well as they (or you).

No, I saw it posted (for about the 1000th time) by a native English speaker who self-identifies as a "author, journalist and editor" so I figured bitching is within my rights!

;D

in my mind a bitch is just that....a moment of exasperation...not pointed at anyone in particular and just random venting

as long as it doesn't get personal you're fine, ladies... ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2007, 06:42:58 pm »

It seems to me the English language is fraught with places that make the proper spelling and usage difficult at times.  Exasperating aot others...Lose and Loose, Two Too and To.  Then and Than, Their and There and They're .  Your and You're.  Its difficult at times not to get frustrated with the errors of spelling and usage.  Particularly when you are reading text.  
         I tend to" let be" most times, and try to just grit my teeth.  I have learned from past experiences, that people are very sensitive about such criticisms...
         But Laura, this is the bitch thread, and you are certainly entitled to make yours to...too. two.. :laugh:

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2007, 08:57:17 pm »

So why do the Americans and the British spell things differently??   >:(

Susie

Um, cuz you guys are really into vowels?  LOL, I have no clue!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2007, 09:31:46 pm »
The way I understand it, the spelling of English words (unlike the French, which has had an academy deciding these matters for centuries) has never been high on the agenda. I was reading a biography on Shakespeare a couple a years ago and I learned that, at the time (4 centuries ago) there was no such thing as 'spelling'. Individuals wrote how they thought words ought to be written.

Move up a couple a centuries and not much had changed. Webster created his dictionary about 200 years ago (?) and his idea of the way spelling of words ought to be was based on writtings in the New World (in large parts).

Language evolves over time. By the time the Americans fought for their independance, they were not interested in following the British way of writing. Their evolution had been diff'rent from the mother country's evolution. And the numbers of Americans, even 200 years ago, allowed them to assert themselves in the spelling of words that reflected the commonly accepted ways in the former colonies. Thus, two seperate spelling ways for two seperate cultures sharing the same spoken language.

Now in Canada, we continues to be part of the British Empire long after the second word war (the Queen is still the head of this country!), so we learn and write British English.

As for us Canadian Fracophones, being shut out of the French world for nearly 200 years, we too had evolved diff'rently than the European French. So in the past 50 years or so, we've had to relearn the 'correct' words and ways of speaking and spelling en français, cause a the aformentioned 'Académie française'. However, recentry (about 4 years ago), a very comprehensive French dictionary for French Canadians has become much more useful for us 7 or 8 million francophones. Dictionary's called the 'Multi-dictionaire' and it's a lot easier to understand than the 'Larouse' or 'Le petit Robert'. It even lets us know if the word is old french, 'joual', or an actual Académie' accepted word.

Too much information? Sorry. Teachers are known to be long winded.  :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 09:39:17 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2007, 09:45:13 pm »
Well now I know!! Thanks for being so informative Sheriff!

Still don't understand why Americans call a "tap", a "faucet" though!!

Susie 

Thank you Susiebell

Got somethin to do with diff'rent evolution, as I said. At the time of the seperation, 225 years ago, neither tap nor faucet were in use much. These words possibly became part of the common language long after the seperate dictionaries were created.

I hate having to call 'char' (car) une voiture or une auto, but I don't have a choice. You can call em taps (or faucets) all you like and still be understood by most a the people listening to you.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2007, 11:46:47 pm »
Hehehe!  I agree that we do tend to be a bit long winded!!

We may speak the same, but we don't speak the same!!  See what I mean ......

We say "Crisps" .... you say "Chips"
We say "Chips" .... you say "Fries"

We say "Scones" .... you say "Biscuits" (I think they're the same thing ... not entirely sure!)
We say "Biscuits" .... you say "Cookies"

We say "Jam" ... you say "Jelly"
We say "Jelly" .... you say "Jello"

And the list goes on!

..... It's all very confusing!!!   

Susie

It sure is confusing! Alex says these things all the time to me, and he's met with a lot of blank stares from me. I have no idea what he's talking about!  :laugh:

Poor Sweet Baby! We love each other in spite of ourselves!  :D

But Susie, I've heard people around here refer to the "faucet" as a tap! In fact I say it sometimes! I've even heard some people around here call it a "spigot".

Then for toilet, we have "toilet", "toilet stool", "stool", "john"... all kinds of different names for it. Alex calls it a loo!  :laugh:

Hoosiers confuse themselves enough with all the different terminolgy we have around here, without bringing the British into it!  ;)

injest

« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2007, 11:50:23 pm »
Here is MY bitch for the day...I got this guy that claims to be my friend?? USTA come in the store and BOO me...

now NOTHING! I haven't been startled in WEEKS!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2007, 12:07:27 am »
Here is MY bitch for the day...I got this guy that claims to be my friend?? USTA come in the store and BOO me...

now NOTHING! I haven't been startled in WEEKS!

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Hey Jess!...........

BOO!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Got ya!!  :D