Author Topic: Significant Silences  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Significant Silences
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:30:23 pm »
Greetings,

In one of our classic Open Forum threads, the "Double Meanings" thread ( http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1953.270.html ), it has been requested that a new thread be started about the issue of silences in the film.  It has been pointed out over there also, that one of Ennis's basic character traits is his silence, while Jack is positioned to be the talkative opposite.  But, there are key moments when Jack is silent and there are probably moments when Ennis's silences (or perhaps struggle to find the correct words to communicate) are more pointed than others.

On the "Double Meanings" thread we were talking about Jack's almost pointed act of not responding to both of Ennis's mentions of his upcoming wedding during the Brokeback summer.  Especially in the first instance when Ennis mentions marrying Alma, Jack pointedly doesn't respond to this at all and changes the subject.  In the second instance, right before they split up after coming down from the mountain, Jack seems to miss an opportunity to alter or intervene (one way or the other) in Ennis's marriage plans when he brings the topic of Alma up again.  It seems perfectly understandable why Jack wouldn't enjoy hearing or talking about Alma and Ennis's wedding.  But, we know Jack is a complainer... and it is quite notable that he foregoes both chances to express and explicit opinion about the wisdom of Ennis's marriage plans.  Especially, once they're lovers it seems that he would have quite a stake in this issue.

Another aspect (perhaps very different) of the topic of silence has to do with the movie's opening.  One of my favorite things about the movie is the quiet opening for so many long minutes.  I find something very poetic in that.  What is Lee trying to convey by this long opening silent passage (silent meaning lack of dialogue)?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: Significant Silences
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:12:52 am »
What is Lee trying to convey by this long opening silent passage (silent meaning lack of dialogue)?

I'm not presuming to have the answers to this, but am just throwing out some thoughts:

I read an article for US businesspeople about dealing with Chinese and Japanese counterparts. In both those cultures, silence is more acceptable; people (no matter what their relationships IIRC) are comfortable with long silences. The article advises Westerners not to be discouraged if a proposal is met with stony silence, nor to try to fill that silence with chatter. The silence just means that the idea is being considered.

It's funny how the "LaShawn Scene" stands out in this context. In most other films it would go right by us within the overall 'noise' of the action/dialogue. But here (as we've been lulled into Lee's quiet world) the excess conversation seems awkward, the silence natural. Which is interesting, because in our culture the opposite is usually true.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 04:16:14 am by LauraGigs »

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 07:12:21 pm »
. . . Anyway, it drives home the notion that LaShawn's chatter may constitute desperate (if unconscious) compensation for a rather central problem in her marriage.

There's one scene in which Jack's relative silence always struck me.  It's when Ennis asks 2 questions: "You an Lureen, it's normal and all?" [sure.]  She don't ever suspect?" [shrug]  And then at the dance scene, he hardly says 2 words to Lureen, even as she's confused to the point of prodding Jack as to his lack of attention.

If you think of the film as a musical piece and Jack a soloist, he has most of his melodies in the first half (the dividing line being the post-divorce rejection scene). After that, he's muted (covering his mouth as he weeps in the truck, accepting the hustler's proposition with only a look, and considering Randall's proposition with a shellshocked stare). The only 'noise' from Jack in the 2nd half comes in short, staccato bursts ("Sit down, sonofabitch..." "Go to hell Ennis del Mar", and in the final argument).

^ Ennis' early trauma and defeated nature made him this way from the start. Jack, after the devastating midpoint, becomes like that as well.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:52:41 pm »
Greetings,

In one of our classic Open Forum threads, the "Double Meanings" thread ( http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1953.270.html ), it has been requested that a new thread be started about the issue of silences in the film.  It has been pointed out over there also, that one of Ennis's basic character traits is his silence, while Jack is positioned to be the talkative opposite.  But, there are key moments when Jack is silent and there are probably moments when Ennis's silences (or perhaps struggle to find the correct words to communicate) are more pointed than others.

On the "Double Meanings" thread we were talking about Jack's almost pointed act of not responding to both of Ennis's mentions of his upcoming wedding during the Brokeback summer.  Especially in the first instance when Ennis mentions marrying Alma, Jack pointedly doesn't respond to this at all and changes the subject.  In the second instance, right before they split up after coming down from the mountain, Jack seems to miss an opportunity to alter or intervene (one way or the other) in Ennis's marriage plans when he brings the topic of Alma up again.  It seems perfectly understandable why Jack wouldn't enjoy hearing or talking about Alma and Ennis's wedding.  But, we know Jack is a complainer... and it is quite notable that he foregoes both chances to express and explicit opinion about the wisdom of Ennis's marriage plans.  Especially, once they're lovers it seems that he would have quite a stake in this issue.

Another aspect (perhaps very different) of the topic of silence has to do with the movie's opening.  One of my favorite things about the movie is the quiet opening for so many long minutes.  I find something very poetic in that.  What is Lee trying to convey by this long opening silent passage (silent meaning lack of dialogue)?

Yea its called Drama!  ;)  Ever watch a Soap? They invented it (maybe)  ;D