Author Topic: Strong, gorgeous women!  (Read 547435 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Strong, gorgeous women!
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2007, 01:34:22 am »
Mary Baker Eddy(1821 - 1910) 

The only American woman to found a lasting American-based religion, Mary Baker Eddy overcame years of ill health and great personal struggle to make an indelible mark on society, religion and journalism.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2007, 01:58:36 am »
Chien-Shiung Wu(1912 - 1997)

Chien-Shiung Wu, a pioneering physicist, radically altered modern physical theory and changed our accepted view of the structure of the universe.

Wu's experiments led physicists to discard the concept that parity was conserved. In recognition of her contributions to atomic research and the understanding of beta decay and the weak interactions, Wu became the first woman to receive the prestigious Research Corporation Award and the Comstock Prize from the National Academy of Sciences. The Comstock Prize is given only once every five years.

Wu's distinguished career in the nation's leading universities as a teacher and researcher in nuclear physics has been characterized by a string of firsts. She was the first woman to receive an honorary doctorate of science from Princeton University, to be elected president of the American Physical Society, and to receive the Wolf Prize from the State of Israel. She was also the first living scientist to have an asteroid named after her.

In 1972, Wu was appointed to an endowed professorship as the Pupin Professor of Physics at Columbia University. 
Life is not a dress rehearsal

moremojo

« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2007, 10:06:00 am »
Sacajawea is well-known as the Indian woman who led Lewis and Clark on their famous expedition to find the Pacific Ocean.
There is a tradition that Sacajawea ended her days in what is now the State of Wyoming, dying and being buried on the Wind River Indian Reservation, very close to Riverton. Her putative gravesite can be seen there, but unfortunately there is probably no way to definitively prove that the person laid to rest there is Sacajawea.

moremojo

« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2007, 10:13:13 am »
Ya know what Meryl...I've never admitted this in public before...for fear I would drummed out of the opera world...I never cared for her.   :-\
I know other opera buffs share your feelings, Scott. I like her myself, but others have cited a certain harshness to her voice that they find unappealing. A friend of mine thinks she was probably essentially a mezzo who strained to sing in the soprano range, which might account for the steeliness some have perceived in her voice.

Callas was certainly important historically, if for no other reason than being instrumental in bringing so many of the bel canto works of Bellini and Donizetti back into the repertoire.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2007, 05:14:28 pm »

Aretha Franklin..

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2007, 05:17:57 pm »

Champion boxer,
Laila Ali

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2007, 05:19:02 pm »

Another woman who makes me weep when I watch her perform..
Patti LaBelle

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2007, 06:55:56 pm »
Janis Joplin

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2007, 07:04:55 pm »

Gail Ann Dorsey

Brilliant and fierce bass player for David Bowie.  Also an amazing vocalist in her own right.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2007, 07:14:09 pm »

gosh how i love Janis Joplin.

Beautiful mind